Author Topic: Wireless Networking Security Suggestions / Setup  (Read 4756 times)

Staind

Wireless Networking Security Suggestions / Setup
« on: September 12, 2005, 05:26:39 AM »
Hi, I have just setup and configured my wireless network (which contains 1 desktop computer and 1 laptop - both using a wireless connection to connect to the internet).  My question is - how can I set up the maximum possible security for the network and insure that it is actually running.  Currently, I have setup WPA security, but I'm unsure if there is anything else I can do.

Suggestions, websites, and advice is appreciated since I am new to wirelessness!

-Staind

PS. I have just moved into my apartment, so I can start posting again!

darth.mikey

Re: Wireless Networking Security Suggestions / Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:16:42 AM »
I'm assuming you have a router ,you can enable MAC Filtering and only allow the MAC adresses of the 2 network cards you have to connect to the network(router).You can also disable SSID broadcast  ;)

P.S:You could also tell us what your router brand is.

Mikey

darth.mikey

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:49:37 AM »
You may also read about wireless here:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/

Staind

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 03:03:09 PM »

darth.mikey

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:12:53 PM »
Nice router i have the older model of that one(it's the wrt54g without the speedbooster technology)  ;D
So did you manage to set it up?

timcan

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 12:08:08 AM »
If you do a port scan and have ports shown as anything but stealth you can use port forwarding(at least that's what it's called in netgear) to stealth those ports.

Staind

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 03:17:17 PM »
Nice router i have the older model of that one(it's the wrt54g without the speedbooster technology)  ;D
Yea I managed to actually set it up - in terms of internet connection working etc, and I set up WPA.  I'm just not sure if that's enough and how safe is file/print sharing.

darth.mikey

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:47:34 PM »
Yea I managed to actually set it up - in terms of internet connection working etc, and I set up WPA.  I'm just not sure if that's enough and how safe is file/print sharing.

Like i said try finding out the MAC adresses of the wireless cards, then enable MAC Filtering in your router(just enter the MAC adresses in the EDIT MAC Filter list and then  select this one: Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network)
I'll add my screenshot so you can see how i have it set up OK?

Also try going to the link i gave you if you have time...