Author Topic: Where are all of these Menu, Settings and such ????  (Read 6194 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Where are all of these Menu, Settings and such ????
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:12:34 AM »
First before anyone suggests that I read the manual or use Help, I have done so and as is the case in so many applications the description of what something does is essentially there, but the method (way) to get to a particular function, setting or menu is not available.  I am also assuming that the "Manual" is the Contents folders in the Help window.

In other words, how to get to the menu, function or setting!

Admittedly I may be dense, but I continually see references to "Preferences menu" or "Resident Protection Settings" or "Standard Shield Settings" as is the case in this thread, but have no idea where to find these references.

I have also mentioned in another thread about where is this "Display Properties" on the "Control Panel".  I assume the "Control Panel" is the small gray (default) window which launches when clicking on "Start Avast! Antivirus in the context menu that you get when you right click on the Avast Icon in the system tray.

To this point I have not been able to determine how to get to these ubiquitous but at the same time apparently quite obscure functions of Avast.

First of all can someone answer the following question:

1) Am I correct in assuming that the "Control Panel" is the is the small gray (default) window which launches when clicking on "Start Avast! Antivirus in the context menu that you get when you right click on the Avast Icon in the system tray?

If this is true then please answer the following based on this response in another thread: " go to Control Panel, Display Propertys, "

2) Where is this "Display Properties" setting found in the "Control Panel"?

I another thread a member said the following: " You should have a AvastSS.scr file in your windows/system32 folder"

I do not have any files related to Avast in this folder. The only things that are in that folder are two other folders named "Drivers" and "Spool" and no files at all of any kind.

Thus can someone please answer the following:

3) Is it correct that this folder should contain this file?
4) If so and since I do not have it is this a reason why I may not be getting all or some of these menu selections everyone references all of the time?

5)   I have also seen mention of a "Main Menu", can someone please tell me where to access this menu ?

In addition to all of the above questions on Avast application control or menu references:

Can someone please tell me where the following can be found in Avast which I have noticed referenced in other threads:

6)   Preferences Menu
7)   Standard Shield Settings
8)   Resident Protection Settings
9)   Program Settings
10) Web Shield settings

And any other important Menus or Settings windows which I will need to know.

In the Help folders which I presume is what is commonly called "the manuel" I find the following:
-----------------------------------------
Virus database update

Click the iAVS icon.
-----------------------------------------

11) Where do I find this "iAVS icon ?

------------------------------------------
Setting the automatic update feature of virus database and avast! program

In the Simple User Interface, click the text showing the current setting of automatic updates (e.g. Manual).
Use the radio button to set the required
------------------------------------------------

First I assume the "Simple User Interface" referenced above is what is commonly referred to as the "Control Panel" by some in this forum (please see question 1 above).

Assuming this is the "Control Panel", where is this "text showing the current setting of automatic updates" to be found ?

I also have the following GRAYED OUT (disabled) in the Control Panel Menu:

Status information
Last scanned results
View scan reports
Schedule Boot time scan

12) How do I get these options ENABLED (not grayed out) ?

Whomever can address the questions above can you please reference the question # to make it easier, thanks.  :)

I know this has a lot of questions, but I see no other way to address my questions in less detail in as much as the manual or help don't answer my questions and I think it best to include all questions in the same post.

If a poster does know where these answers are in the help or manual feel free to tell me where as well.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

jenai

Re: Where are all of these Menu, Settings and such ????
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 07:33:41 AM »
Hello,

System Requirements - avast! Home Edition
The basic requirements for Avast Home, according to
Avast web site.. are: (Pasted from website)

"System Requirements - avast! Home Edition
http://www.avast.com/eng/system_requirements3.html

Please note: hardware configurations described below represent the minimum recommended system specification for that operating system.

For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 50MB of free hard disk space."

According to your Stats, you are running a marginal system, and you have quite a bit installed on the HD. You never mentioned how much free space you have.
It might just be that you don't have enough memory, space etc to run Avast.

It's just an idea.........

Jenai

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:52:04 AM »
No boottime scan available in win 98
Right click avast icon select programme settings
Left click avast icon to display provider settings
Start main programme select menu for various other settings

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 11:58:45 PM »
Jenai wrote:
Hello,

System Requirements - avast! Home Edition
The basic requirements for Avast Home, according to
Avast web site.. are: (Pasted from website)

"System Requirements - avast! Home Edition
http://www.avast.com/eng/system_requirements3.html

Please note: hardware configurations described below represent the minimum recommended system specification for that operating system.

For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 50MB of free hard disk space."

According to your Stats, you are running a marginal system, and you have quite a bit installed on the HD. You never mentioned how much free space you have.
It might just be that you don't have enough memory, space etc to run Avast.

It's just an idea.........

Jenai

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure how this has to do with my needing to know where certain menus etc are to be found in Avast

As far as my system I still have over 2 gig of disk space available and in regards to my RAM, while yes it is not a lot it is more than twice the requirement for Avast.

So in conlusion I'd say...

1) a Pentium II would be more than sufficient in regards to the 486 processer needs
2) 96 RAM should suffice since 32 RAM is required
3) Disk space is not a problem with 2 gig available

Besides that I was running NAV2004 before installing Avast.  So I would have to say if my computer can handle NAV2004 without any problems then I would think that Avast should not be a problem.  Unless you are saying that Avast has a larger footprint than NAV2004.

Also I don't seem to be having any problems that I can see as far as Avast running on my computer.

All I'm asking for is where do I find all of the settings, functions, menus that I keep hearing about on this forum, but can't find myself.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 12:00:43 AM »
essexboy wrote:
No boottime scan available in win 98
Right click avast icon select programme settings
Left click avast icon to display provider settings
Start main programme select menu for various other settings

Thanks for the help, it seems like I've done this but...

I'll check this out again when I'm home  :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 12:07:53 AM »
1) Am I correct in assuming that the "Control Panel" is the is the small gray (default) window which launches when clicking on "Start Avast! Antivirus in the context menu that you get when you right click on the Avast Icon in the system tray?
No it is part of the windows system

another thread a member said the following: " You should have a AvastSS.scr file in your windows/system32 folder"

I do not have any files related to Avast in this folder. The only things that are in that folder are two other folders named "Drivers" and "Spool" and no files at all of any kind.

Thus can someone please answer the following:

3) Is it correct that this folder should contain this file?
4) If so and since I do not have it is this a reason why I may not be getting all or some of these menu selections everyone references all of the time?

3. yes
4. no

Status information
Last scanned results
View scan reports

You won't see these until a full scan has been done

11) Where do I find this "iAVS icon ?

in the system tray the blue whirly thing click about and rummage
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 12:12:19 AM by essexboy »

jenai

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 04:32:28 AM »
lakrsrool  wrote:

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure how this has to do with my needing to know where certain menus etc are to be found in Avast

As far as my system I still have over 2 gig of disk space available and in regards to my RAM, while yes it is not a lot it is more than twice the requirement for Avast.

So in conlusion I'd say...

1) a Pentium II would be more than sufficient in regards to the 486 processer needs
2) 96 RAM should suffice since 32 RAM is required
3) Disk space is not a problem with 2 gig available

Besides that I was running NAV2004 before installing Avast.  So I would have to say if my computer can handle NAV2004 without any problems then I would think that Avast should not be a problem.  Unless you are saying that Avast has a larger footprint than NAV2004.

Also I don't seem to be having any problems that I can see as far as Avast running on my computer.

All I'm asking for is where do I find all of the settings, functions, menus that I keep hearing about on this forum, but can't find myself.

First.. I only addressed one issue.. I didn't attempt to ans your "menu" questions.

I see you have changed your stats in your sig.. If I am not mistaken, the 10 gig was not there before. Or maybe I misread??

I have XP... so I don't know how 98 is, but when I right click on the Blue Ball in the system tray next to the clock, I get a menu with all sorts of options, one of which is "Program Settings"

Sorry you are having a hard time..  If some of the people who still have 98 would respond and help you out....!!!

Jenai

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:36:21 AM »
essexboy wrote:

Status information
Last scanned results
View scan reports

You won't see these until a full scan has been done

I have done a full scan...

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 07:46:35 AM »
Thanks Jenai  I do appreciate the help.

As for my Signature, no I have not changed it  :)

It is the same as when I first entered it and so I guess you missed the hard drive, but you're point is still well taken because regardless of what the size of the drive is, what matters is what is available.  That is why I said I had 2 gig available (out of the 10).

But you could not have known that so there is nothing wrong with your question in that regard because there is no way to tell what is still available without asking as you did.   :)

It's actually the 486 Processor, 32MB RAM requirments that you mentioned that were already addressed in my signature and not the available disk space.  But of course I guess one would expect anyone to have at least 50 MB of hard disk available  :-\  wouldn't they  :P

MtnestRoin

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 05:38:39 AM »
Hey lakrsrool-

I'm feeling your pain! Having read the manual myself I'm not seeing any menus, etc. either!

I was hoping your topic had a solution for me! I'm wondering if maybe I haven't unpacked the program entirely- if such a thing is possible!   ::)

When I right click on the sys tray icon, then select "Start avast! Antivirus", the gray Simple User Interface box appears. Many of the options under "tools" are grayed out, ie. "last scan results." and there is no menu found to change skins, etc. !

Are you showing what appear to be buttons on the left side of the box tiling vertically and numbered 1-4? They are inactive so far in my program!

Hope someone can solve this for you....and me ;D!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 06:55:41 AM »
^ Exactly...   :(

I actually have 4 grayed out but I only mentioned the 3 above because I think that the "Schedule Boot Time Scan is not available for WIN98.

But the other three I mentioned SHOULD NOT BE GRAYED OUT, as far as I can see.  One response was I have to do a "full scan" for these three options to be available.

I replied with "I have done a scan", and that is where it 's at as far as that's concerned.  It doesn't appear anyone knows why the 3 options I have mentioned are grayed out.

As far as the Skins Option I DO HAVE THAT OPTION.  It is the third option on the menu list called "Select Skin".  Don't you have that option right under the "Settings" option on the menu (2nd menu option) ?   ???

So I guess all we can do is wait and hope someone does have the answer...  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 01:44:04 PM »
But the other three I mentioned SHOULD NOT BE GRAYED OUT, as far as I can see.  One response was I have to do a "full scan" for these three options to be available.
Yes, they should. Home version does not allow store/work with results. Only the Pro version (Session results).
The best things in life are free.

MtnestRoin

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 01:01:09 AM »
Woo Hoo!

After further investigation due to your note I discovered I did not even have the "enable skins" box checked!   ::)  Of course all I've got now is a more user friendly skin with the same functionality!  :P

Oh Well! I guess I can forfeit some features so long as the virus detection and clean up work!

I'm still having a problem with all my mail having an attachment to it after running the program. Obviously, something isn't working right yet....probably me! I was hoping it was due to the same issue as not seeing all the menu features. Yikes now I have more homework to do!  :'(   I'll be starting my own topic on this issue if I can't find a similar one to help me.

*off to play with my new toy*
Robin  :)