Author Topic: WebShield stopping Internet Access  (Read 3282 times)

toonzer

WebShield stopping Internet Access
« on: September 17, 2005, 02:54:04 AM »
Hi All,

Having obtained Avast 4.6 Home Edition recently through recommendation from a colleague, I have installed it on my sytem and everything is excellent apart from Internet Explorer or Firefox do not access the net. :-\  Having read through the forum and FAQ's and reading the advice and tips, I have tried everything and still cannot access the web.  I'll summarise the situation below... ???

My system runs XP Home SP2 (Fully updated), running windows firewall at present.  Was using AVG which started having errors after SP2 installation therefore removed.  If I disable Webshield, internet works perfectly.  Webshield started again, internet fails (Cannot find server).  Tried enabling/disabling Windows Firewall, no change on symptoms.  When IE or FF is opened with Webshield enabled, the 'last scanned' counter does increase but nothing happens.  Tried all options suggested in 2 forum posts I spotted to no avail...  I do not have any other AV, Firewall SW running either.  Can anyone help me!?!?!?!?!  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: WebShield stopping Internet Access
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 02:58:58 AM »
Toonzer, your configuration should be perfect to everything work...
No troubles with WebShield and  XP SP2...
Did you change any proxy setting?
Did you use any antivirus before AVG?
Welcome to forums  :)
The best things in life are free.

toonzer

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 03:05:00 AM »
Thanks for your immediate response!
I havn't changed any proxy setting at the moment, I did try changing some following info from two posts on the forum to no avail.  Before AVG, there was no Anti-Virus SW.  Sounds like you're probably as confused as I am.

Incidentally, thank you for the welcome!!!

toonzer

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 03:30:10 AM »
Just to add...  As someone else tried (from the forum), remove port 80 from Webshield configuration, Internet access OK but 'last scanned' doesn't change.  Add port 80, 'last scanned' changes 'infected' does not and still no access.  Email works perfectly through Outlook and Outlook Express, although I do realise that the resident provider for email is different.  Oh, by the way, the Avast updates downloaded fine with Webshield enabled or disabled, and email pictures also come through fine.  Ran a full/throrough system scan after updates and it found absolutely nothing.  Ran Registry Mechanic also, found several errors which were cleaned (program shortcuts invalid mostly).  Re-tried, still no joy.  Would it help if I attached an HTML file from Belarc Adviser profiling my machine for your information?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
Did you change WebShield settings or you've left the default ones?
At Windows firewall, add <avast folder>\ashWebSv.exe and allow it to connect.
Do you use any annonimizer application (Proxomitron, Hide IP, etc.)?
Which browser are you using?

Thanks for your immediate response!
Enjoy avast! forums speed  8)

I havn't changed any proxy setting at the moment, I did try changing some following info from two posts on the forum to no avail.
Set  no proxy at all and not the automatic detection. See what you get.

Sounds like you're probably as confused as I am.
Do you really think so?  ;D
Man, I'm not a newbie  8)
The best things in life are free.