Author Topic: avast! problems with Shareaza 2.2.0.0  (Read 3625 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
avast! problems with Shareaza 2.2.0.0
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »
I'd like to report very annoying bug with latest Shareaza 2.2.0.0.
In general everything works great. But when i want to close Shareaza machine starts to trash like nuts,ashServ.exe goes up to 65% CPU usage and keeps trashing. After like 10 seconds or more stops doing that and Shareaza closes.
At first i thought it's a P2P Shield fault,and then i removed it. Problem remained.
I completely removed avast! and installed NOD32. Shareaza closes the same second when i click Close vutton and without any trashing. Just like it should.
Today i reinstalled avast! again without P2P shield from scratch (Just Standard Shield,Web Shield,Network Shield and IM Shield) and problem is again there.

So from my understanding there is something wrong with avast! because NOD32 doesn't do that. I'm using special build of Shareaza 2.2.0.0 that is optimized for MMX/SSE processors,but i tried NOD32 on the same build and problem remained.
It was the same for official build of Shareaza.
Can you check it out?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
Re: avast! problems with Shareaza 2.2.0.0
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »
Anything? ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:33:22 AM »
Well, if ashServ.exe is active, it must be scanning something. So, the question is - what is it scanning? Try to check the particular providers... it may be the Standard Shield, for example, if Shareaza is doing some heavy file work at shutdown.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »
RejZoR i had trouble with WarezP2P awhile ago and got a lecture here about the Evils of P2P sharing. I know you're an expert in Spyware, I was directed by Eddy to this site, which lists the safety of P2P programs.
Interesting Shareaza is rated there as being safe. It wasn't awhile ago
Spyware Info
Well, if ashServ.exe is active, it must be scanning something. So, the question is - what is it scanning? Try to check the particular providers... it may be the Standard Shield, for example, if Shareaza is doing some heavy file work at shutdown.

The likellihood of Spyware within Shareaza  being a factor with Avast's excessive behaviour seems a possibility ? 8)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »
Trust me i know this stuff. I use Shareaza and eMule,both taken from SourceForge official mirrors. The optimized build was compiled by my friend. So they are 120% adware/spyware free.