Author Topic: COMPLAINT!!!!!  (Read 12557 times)

REDACTED

COMPLAINT!!!!!
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
First off, let me say I have been using Avast for a few years now and I think it is, generally, an excellent product, from a technical perspective.

However, customer service is a far different story. I recently received an email informing me of an upcoming draft against my bank account for a subscription which I no longer use because I have replaced the computer. "No problem," I thought naively, "I just call them up and ask them to cancel this subscription."

ONLY YOU CAN"T DO THAT!

When you call support and attempt to receive help with a billing issue, you get a recorded voice saying that all billing issues must be submitted online. So I did that. And watched as my case was promptly ignored. I updated the record with a new request for service. Also ignored. Now I have updated the request again, 10 FREAKIN' DAYS AFTER MY ORIGINAL REQUEST.

Apparently, our society has now progressed to the point where corporations can continue to bill us for services we do not use and they are not required to offer us any workable recourse to object. Can anyone here say "Class Action Suit?"

To the moderator of this thread: You have ONE chance to redeem your company's reputation. Contact me. Personally. Deal with this problem. Show me your firm is not a bunch of crooks. PLEASE.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: COMPLAINT!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
Submitting multiple ticket/changing a existing one will put you back to the bottom of the stack as has been explained many times before.
Also many times explained already that you easily can disable the automatic renewal.
Find your order, remove the tick in front of the automatic renewal option.
Please use the search option before posting.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
Tried that, doesn't work. Is anyone going to help or not?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
What doesn't work ?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »
Eddy,

Are you employed by Avast? If not, you can't help. Please don't muddy the waters any further. If you are an Avast employee, call me. You should be able to access my records.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
Auto-Renewal Plan Terms

By completing your purchase, you have authorized Digital River to automatically renew your purchased license for successive renewal terms equal in length to your initial license term but no longer than 1 year, at the then-current renewal license price (plus applicable taxes) using your payment information provided for your initial purchase, until you cancel.

At least one email will be sent to you to remind you of each upcoming renewal. The Digital River Terms of Sale and Privacy Policy will apply to each renewal transaction. You also agree that Digital River may, upon notice to you, transfer your responsibility for the processing of renewals of your purchased license under the Auto-Renewal Plan to Avast Software a.s. (“Avast”), in which case Digital River will transfer your billing information to Avast or their payment processor, and Avast’s terms of sale and privacy policy provided to you in Avast’s reminder email will apply to each renewal transaction.

You may cancel your auto-renewal plan at any time by logging into the My Subscriptions portal (access information are included in this email or on the Customer Service Help page), selecting your product, and selecting the option to disable automatic renewal.

Also, I'm not employed by Avast....just someone trying to help.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
I appreciate the effort, Kochs, but the issue here is good corporate citizenship dead? Still waiting to hear from moderator - or someone with a smidge of conscious.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
No-one will call you.
That is not how it works.

Just do as I said and the automatic renewal will stop.
https://www.findmyorder.com/sstore?Action=DisplayHomePage&SiteID=findmyor&Locale=en_US

Offline lucD

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
If it's possible to do so in your country, you should also cancel the authorisation with your bank.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
OK, let's make this clear. Here's a scenario for you.

I advise a friend to use this product. He signs up for automatic renewals, and he is very happy with his purchase. Then he moves away. A year later, his computer is deemed too old and decrepit for his current needs and he replaces it, and buys a new product license for his new computer.

Two months later,there's a charge on his credit card for renewal of his product on the old computer. After much head scratching, he finally figures out where this came from and calls up to cancel. But he can't. All anyone will do is refer him to the web site. Unfortunately, his old email account is tied to his old ISP in another state and the account doesn't exist anymore. So it's freakin' impossible for him to cancel his subscription.

Does anyone see the problem here? Is there a line item in Avast's business plan labelled "Income from undead customer accounts"? There's got to be some level of responsiveness of a company to it's customers' needs, and frankly Avast's is substandard, to put it in terms socially acceptable in mixed company. So let's hear from someone who wants to defend against such corrupt practices.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
If his license was still valid, he could have used that one the new system.

To stop the automatic renewal, just go to the site I gave you.
Login and disable it.

There are also links that tell you what to do if you can't login.
E.G. If you don't remember the order number.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »
I went to the site. The options are to

1) provide an order # and password or

2) Provide an email and the last 5 digits of your credit card

Now if you have the order number (presumably on the credit card statement AFTER they've already billed you and taken your money), but don't remember your password, you're hosed. They'll only send reset information to the email address on record, which no longer exists. And option two likewise relies on the use of a defunct account (assuming you don't mind entering credit card information until you hit on the one you used for the initial transaction - if you'd prefer to keep the charge from hitting in the first place).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »
There is ofcourse the "Contact Customer Service" option.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 12:35:03 AM »
Contacting "Customer Service" is how this all started in the first place. My point is that there is no customer service here. All there is is a stone wall designed to block customers from getting assistance.

So let's recap. If you ever have a billing issue with Avast, don't waste 10 days waiting for a response that won't ever come. Instead, cancel your credit card (and set up new payment options with socially responsible merchants you DO want to continue doing business with) and start a long, laborious process to get a refund if they've already taken your money. Sounds like a plan to me!

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 12:41:23 AM »
Oh, and nevermind that this should have been resolved with a single phone call, 20 minutes tops, including hold time.