Author Topic: *moved* Chrome and safari hijacked - Can still use Tor - Mac  (Read 2232 times)

REDACTED

*moved* Chrome and safari hijacked - Can still use Tor - Mac
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:54 AM »
I scanned my computer a few months back and I had 40+ malwares (ikr). Most were adware half were for windows. There were a few spigot ones that added extensions that have since been deleted.

A few days ago safari and chrome have completely stopped working, but other computers in my house such as the one I'm on are working fine. Chrome says ERR_CONNECTION CLOSE and safari says error and shows a link to spigots fake yahoo page. Steam doesn't work either.

However I can use Tor on the infected computer fine.

Any idea how to fix this? I don't know what it can be. I've scanned with avast a few more times since and I've got nothing except a 130 unscannable files. I'm on Lion OSX.

(It may be noteworthy to that avast starts its scan at 100% and ends at 200% now for some reason)

Thanks all.

Offline specimen9999

Re: *moved* Chrome and safari hijacked - Can still use Tor - Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
Check the browsers' proxy settings and make sure it is set to connect directly and with no PAC file. Disable all extensions and see if it works. You may also try to reset their settings completely.