Author Topic: Exchange Plug-in - a reply would be nice!  (Read 6294 times)

skoekemoer

Exchange Plug-in - a reply would be nice!
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:36:02 PM »
Hi there, is everyone on holiday? I cannot seem to get a reply to my last post, which is still a major issue for my client!

We use Sophos elsewhere and decided to try out Avast on SBS2003 as it looked like a good option going forward, but I have to say the lack of general support for this product is diabolical! The fact that the Exchange Plug-in is allowing viruses to get to the client is even worse and totally unacceptable.

Here is my client alert again! (Note: this goes right through the so called phantom Exchange plug-in!)

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message INFECTED:
\account-info.zip#361874226 (Win32:Mytob-FE [Wrm]) was (BEWARE!!!) left intact in the message.

Virus Database (VPS): 0534-3, 25/08/2005
Tested on: 26/08/2005 11:17:55
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Why does this get through to the client! I see more and more posts here of people no being able to configure the Exchange plug-in, option grey'd out etc. If there is a problem with this component, why not admit it and support your customers, by trying to get this problem sorted out.

If I do not get a resolution soon, we have to stop using this product which showed good potential at first. It was the client version that gave us more confidence on this, but when you cannot protect at the server level, despite all the claims of your unique scanning abilities, you need to re-think.

If I am doing something wrong, then please could someone help me out. I may be a llama on here, but my original post is somewhat old now and never been replied to or solved by Avast! i.e.

SBS Standard Edition - Exchange plugin not detecting virus

It looks like I am off to the shop to get Sophos for my client. Guess who is paying, it certainly is not my client.

Have a good weekend, my pocket is lighter!

Tango2020

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Exchange Plug-in - a reply would be nice!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 02:07:18 PM »
but I have to say the lack of general support for this product is diabolical!
Alwil's support is better than I have ever seen from any other av vendor.

The fact that the Exchange Plug-in is allowing viruses to get to the client is even worse and totally unacceptable.
I'm not an expert on the sever edition (just a small Avast user), but it sounds like a wrong setting to me.

why not admit it and support your customers, by trying to get this problem sorted out.
If there really is a problem, I'm sure Alwil will not try hide it and will work on a solution for it.

but my original post is somewhat old now and never been replied to
Sometimes that happens. A lot of people are posting here and somtimes a post is overlooked. That can happen everyone/anywhere. Sure, it is not ment to be, but these things happen.

I'm sure you will get a reply from one of the Alwil members very shortly and I'm sure they will solve this for you.

skoekemoer

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »
Ok, fair enough, but you can understand my frustration on this.

My client keeps coming back to me and asking me why and I cannot respond other than, I am waiting for a solution from Avast. This is beginning to make us look incompetent from the client perspective.

We have re-installed the product, looked at all the options, and cannot see to find anything to configure how the Exchange Plug-in behaves, or see how it works on a low level. The options are grey'd out, and if this is an installation issue, then there must be some low level resolution where we can remove the installation, and re-install.

There are instances where software installations go wrong, and this is due to the various configurations that exist out there, and cannot be accounted for during product test, hence this forum.

If the support is up to scratch, then I look forward to something like, please try this etc. etc. So far it has not happened, so I wait in anticipation. The fact that 50+ people managed to read my last post, which is still hovering on the first page of this forum section, makes me concerned that none of the support staff picked it up. Maybe they are too snowed under.

Well, enough banter, I do not want to rant about it, I would like to solve my clients issue and continue to use this product, otherwise it starts to cost us as a business in more ways than having to go out and use something else.

Help me please Igor or Vlk! Yes, I am desperate to solve this.

Tango2020

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 04:46:30 PM »
Please make sure the Exchange plugin is configured to scan inside ZIP archives (or all archives).

Avast Enhanced UI -> Tasks Folder -> Residen Protection task -> Properties -> Exchange 2000/2003 -> Archives page.

The same goes to the "SMTP 2000/2003" provider.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

skoekemoer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 08:59:52 PM »
Vlk, thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Ok, this is where we are stuck,

Avast Enhanced UI -> Tasks Folder -> Residen Protection task -> Properties ->

I can get here, however there is no option for Exchange 2000/2003 at this level i.e. no setting at all for

Exchange 2000/2003 -> Archives page

The server deployment wizard has the Exchange option grey'd out and this makes me concerned. We purchased the SBS version which includes this, so I would expect to see it. Am I correct in my assumptions?

Do we have to install from a new source. Our version is, 4.6, Build: Jun2005 (4.6.460).

Regards
Tango2020

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 11:31:36 PM »
OK, that explains it. I guess the Exchange shield is not installed then! :)

To install it, please go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Change, and make sure the "Exchange 2000" box is ticked (if you tick it, "SMTP 2000" will get ticked automatically as well).

This will require reboot. After the system reboots, rerun the Server Deployment Wiz and you should be all set! :)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

skoekemoer

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 12:29:08 AM »
Super, it works now.

May I be as rude to ask why the default SBS install does not add the plug-in.

Surely the last thing one would want to do is intall the package and the go for the add/remove option?

Or am I wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Tango2020