Author Topic: Problem with Avast home and Windows xp Pro x64  (Read 35809 times)

BigAnthony

Re: Problem with Avast home and Windows xp Pro x64
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »
I am using Windows XP Pro  x64 with all updates on a new Gigabtyte GA-8I955X Pro motherboard with 1 GB DDR2 RAM and Intel 660 (3.6ghz) processor. It has the Intel 955 chipset.

I do not have any problem with shut down or restarting.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 05:49:27 PM »
So, right now the common factor seems to be AMD with nForce chipset, possibly drivers v6.66... anybody else with the same problem and different chipset?

santec

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 11:16:28 AM »
I have this problem permanently

chaintech vnf4 ultra :driver 6.69

PoV 6800GT pci-e :driver 81.95

audigy 2 zs : driver 5.12.06

corsair 2x1024

modem router olitec sx 200

printer HP 3550

santec

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 10:35:03 AM »
I believed to have to find the problem, 3 days of normal shutdown

I have modiffier the times of search for update of the data base viral & program of 240 mn with 1440 mn

waste of time and effort, is a track dug nevertheless!!!!

translated by google French into English

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
j'ai crus avoir trouver le probleme,3 jours d'arrêt normal 

j'ai modiffier la délais de recherche de mise à jours de la base de données viral & programme de 240 mn à 1440 mn   

peine perdus,s'est une piste a creusé quand même !!!!

colinpotts

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2005, 06:18:07 AM »
I have the same problem but am using a intel Xeon and 525 northbridge and the full version of XP Pro x64 everything fully updated.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 09:50:40 AM »
colinpotts: So you don't have the nForce chipset which until now seemed to be the common factor?

jamf

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 01:34:41 PM »
I loaded XP64 trial to an ASUS A8V deluxe and installed Avast 4.6 and had the same shutdown problem.  If I right click the A icon and disable then it would shut down normally.  This morning I upgraded the bios to 1017 and also put in the latest VIA 4in1 and the problem disappeared.  Just thought you guys should know.
Now XP and Avast work together perfectly. 

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 08:38:58 PM »

I have an AMD 64 3200 on a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard (nForce3 Ultra chipset) with 1gig of memory. I also have Avast Home and Windows XP home. I have not had one problem with this setup. So, it seems to me that the problem should be with XP Pro x64 and not AMD nor the nForce chipset. But, I could be wrong.     :o   ;)   

Dready

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 06:52:15 PM »
Hi!

I did not realize i had the shutdown Problems becouse of avast until i read it here. But the reason i looked here is becouse i also got a big Problem when starting Windows XP Pro 64. After a complete startup it starts Avast and a couple of seconds later it just sort of freezes.

The Taskbar is completely frozen however when i am for example in the Avast Provider Setup before it frozes i am able to switch to the different Providers and see when it scans.

Somehow it locks up everything and i am unable to get to the Task Manager (neither by Menu or Hotkeys) or something else.

To stop that i had to switch of the PC by using the Powerswitch, then startup at safe mode and then disable the automatic start of all avast services. Then i was able to make a normal startup of windows and to look for a solution...

I also uninstalled the last two Windowsupdates but, that did not help anyway. Please Help.

My System:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Asus A8V Deluxe Mainboard (AGP), 1 Gig RAM, 1 SATA RAID Array 160 GB

I already tried updating the Bios an the VIA Drivers, and a new installation of avast... no change.

thx, Dready

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 10:01:12 AM »
FYI I've just ordered such a machine (with Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard). It should come in a couple of days.

Hopefully, the problem will reproduce on this machine, and we'll be able to solve it. I'm quite curious already.

BTW we have a number of Intel based x64 computers here, and none of them seems to have this problem. Also, we have one Athlon64-based with VIA chipset - and this one is working well, too.

Thanks,
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Dready

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »
Hi!

I have also a VIA Chipset and the Problem i descriped earlier. Seems like somehow the system is locked...

I use the german Version.

Bests, Dready

Offline jrbach

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 10:39:26 AM »
Similar to Charlie (up above)...we have no problem with this.
I have an AMD 64 3200 939 core on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (nForce3) with 2gig of memory.  Cheers

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 07:19:18 PM »
Alright folks.

I have some good news. The box has arrived, and the problem DOES simulate on it.

Now remains the 2nd part - to find out what the problem is, and fix it. :)

Back to work...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 10:48:57 PM »
OK, I have had 5 months of testing this exact problem ever since i got my new pc.

the specs are

Asus A8n sli deluxe mobo
amd 4400 DC
2  xfx 7800gtx 256 sli
2 gig corsair xms ram
1 western digital sata, 1 seageate Bcudda, 1 samsung spinpoint.
Audigy 2 zs
nec dvdrw
msi cdrw

all chipsets drivers from 6.**
and both cpu drivers 1.2.2.1 and 1.2.2.2
multiple vid card drivers
mobo bios 1011, using 1015 atm

now, the problem lies within the nforce4 chipset or the acpi drivers, Although avast is being locked as a service and isnt unloading.

Because even without avast being installed on my pc, it still hangs on shutdown. less frequently might i add, but with avast being installed it hangs 95% of the time.

I checked event manager and infact there is a load of userenv errors about a unloadable service, the errors only appear after avast has been installed.

I have tried microsofts UPHClean program which supposdly forces unloadable services to shutdown, but that didnt help.

Basically, in 5 months of testing,  I have came to the conclusion that its either nf4 (most likely) or my dualcore cpu. As lots of programs, mainly games have problems with dualcore, but out of the 2, I really suspect that the nforce4 chipset is to blame.

Although avast is conflicting for want of a better word with nf4 chipset, as even after a format and just the nf4 drivers and cpu drivers installed,  the pc still hangs every now and then, but it does shutdown,  sometimes it takes its sweet time in doing so.  As soon as avast is brought into the equation the hangs gets worse.

With just windows and chipset drivers and cpu driver, i can shutdown say 30+ times without it locking up, then i may get a few lockups or extremely long shutdowns, then it will return to normal, with avast installed, i can get like 30 lockups/long shutdowns in the space of 40 tries.

I am using xp pro 32

doesnt do it on my other pc.

msi neo mobo
amd64 3000
1gb ram
6800gt
dvdrw-cdrw
VIA CHIPSET
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 10:36:31 AM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

siim04

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 11:10:05 PM »
I have exactly the same problem! However, the system does not always hang on shutdown and I have noticed that logging users off before shutdown also reduces chances of hanging. The common factor here is that I also have ASUS motherboard. My system is:

CPU: Intel Pentium  4 630
Motherboard: Asus P5GPL
Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915PL
RAM: 1GB (2x 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Graphics: ATI RADEON X800GT

No messages in log, no failure reports by auditing (though I do not audit system events - only default auditing of all failures), "always connected to internet" is not set in Avast settings.