Author Topic: Problem with Avast home and Windows xp Pro x64  (Read 35866 times)

epox123

Re: Problem with Avast home and Windows xp Pro x64
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2005, 11:35:21 PM »
i went in safe mode avast doesnt even start up in safe mode there for you replace the sys file, also windows doesnt protect system files in safe mode from what i have herd. any ways i restarted then windows x64 started up and i shutdown and it hang there till i forced it to shutdown.

epox123

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »
As an experiment, in avast's "program settings" (right click blue "a" circle icon in taskbar), in the troubleshooting section, switch the database from OBDC to XML... see if that helps.

This works for me I shut down 5 times and no shutdown hang, as a matter of fact the shutdown is way faster then before.

Figure out what makes us common and make a patch :) I posted my specs:
Here is my pc spec

Update: after 2 days of doing this i have to say it doesnt work becouse it still hangs so im not sure whats going on. im about to uninstall my antivirus antill i can a working one.

I think mabe it's the way the servises are set up with dependencies perhaps if you just remove the dependencies and set all that stuff to auto it will shut down. if you stop all the servises before you shutdown it will not hang.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 01:14:16 AM by epox123 »

epox123

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2005, 01:45:21 PM »
Any one here ? lol what does avast think about my last comment?

Dready

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2005, 04:15:39 PM »
Hi!

Tried the File, started the Service and it hook up as it did before ;-(

bests

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 02:25:37 AM »
Ok, after further testing, i am not so sure that it has solved the problem, when i first added the file, it shutdown perfectly for a good number of tries.

Since yesterday however i have been getting long shutdown times, I get passed the part where it says saving your settings, and it then goes onto windows is shutting down. I have a 5 minute wait from the time i see the windows is shutting down screen til it actually does shutdown, there is 0 disc activity.

At the moment i am not 100% certain its avast thats doing it, it was before but i havent dug any deeper since its the holiday season, but i will start work on it next week and see what it says, but i still think that the nforce4 chipset is playing a major part in our shutdown probs, its either that or ACPI failure somewhere ???

hope you all had a good xmas and i wish you all a happy new year.

siim04

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2005, 02:45:59 PM »
It seems the patched file works for me. I have not had any shutdown issues since I installed the patch (about a week ago I guess).

hardwarefreek

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 10:32:25 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Patched file also worked on my x64 windows, ASUS a8v rev 2 mobo, many thanks guys for taking the time to fix this.