Author Topic: Win7 64-bit Desktop won't boot, stalls at Aswrvrt.sys on start-up?  (Read 4044 times)

REDACTED

Hey all,

I've got a desktop here with Win7 64-bit. It was acting strangely, but now I can't get it boot...just endlessly reboots in "normal" mode saying Windows failed to successfully start. When I try Safe Mode, it stops at Aswrvrt.sys, which I know is an Avast file. System Restores don't work at all to fix the problem (and the only two restore points on this machine are since the issues started anyway), and StartUp Repair doesn't do anything either.

I ran the FarBar Recovery Scan Tool from the "Repair Windows" Command Prompt, log file is attached!

Any folks have any suggestions? Thanks!

REDACTED

Re: Win7 64-bit Desktop won't boot, stalls at Aswrvrt.sys on start-up?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »
I've PMed Essexboy

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
Hi there, this may take two or three tries or it may fail altogether.  No guarantees I am afraid

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Start FRST as before and press Fix
On completion try a normal boot

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
I shall try it now. Thanks a lot mate.

Out of curiosity, this is the third time in a year I've had to deal with this issue on more than one machine, and I noticed it pops up on the forums a lot. I've never had this issue on my own personal desktop running Win7 and Avast, and Avast has always worked great on my machine and my family's machines....I swear by it....but what exactly causes this issue to happen so much for so many people...?

Will let you know about the fixes in a few! :)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »
Just tried the fixes from the Repair Windows command prompt on boot, said they completed successfully. Then I tried a "normal" boot, sadly, no go. :(

Ready for attempt method #2! :)

EDIT - For the record, I've got to head to work soon, so I probably won't be responding again until around 9pm tonight when I get home (it's 11am here atm)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:52:33 PM by Darkstrike »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
The majority of the time it is an ATAPI.sys problem and Avast has the misfortune to be the last driver that loads prior to that

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Start FRST as before and press Fix
On completion try a normal boot

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:50 AM »
Home - latest fixlist didn't work, sadly...

Log file attached:

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »
Does safe mode now stop at mup.sys ?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
Does safe mode now stop at mup.sys ?

If OP says it is I just noticed this is a "desktop".
There are zillions of articles on mup.sys but as stated the last "good" driver loaded is mup.sys....it is what comes after.
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mup-sys-resolved.html
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/xp-hangs-at-mupsys-on-startup/97c6550f-a1ef-45bb-9666-b773bacfdac0
.........SO, because this is a desktop the common theme seems is either a CHKDSK repair or a hardware problem (eg. P/S, HDD, Memory)....but one thing most people recommend is try ONLY to connect keyboard....on extra HDD (if 2nd one isntalled take it out), no mouse, etc.......and try to boot in safe mode.  If no change then I'd get to the Command prompt and try a CHKDSK repair and see if that solves (chkdsk {drive:} /p /r).....note, alot of folks in article said this had to be run several times.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:15:25 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the help, but I just went ahead and did a fresh reformat....everything seems fine now, EXCEPT....now I can't get Windows to activate......joy of joys, but that's not your problem, so I'll see what I can do about that, haha! :)

Thanks for all the help anyway!

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
Windows 7 Activation Q&A: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activating-windows-faq#1TC=windows-7

I've found if I go thru the activation process there is a option to "dial-in" on phone to MS.....this works best.
Sometimes it is automated.....if trouble it goes to MS Support person....which I've found takes about 5 minutes and easy way to resolve.....see thread option #2: http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Windows-7
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:56:23 PM by thekochs »