Author Topic: Web Shield unusable; won't let me download  (Read 2306 times)

REDACTED

Web Shield unusable; won't let me download
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
What's the point of setting the Web Shield Actions as "Ask" if your only freaking option is "Abort connection"?! It's extremely frustrating (not to mention VERY unsafe) that every time I want to download a file, I have to disable Avast in case the web shield decides the file contains the ubiquitous "Evo.gen [Susp]"

At LEAST with the File System protection, I can tell it to move to the chest and then add an exception if I know it's a false positive.

VERY frustrated  >:(

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Web Shield unusable; won't let me download
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:24 PM »
What does Avast report when you try to download a file ?  Is it all files or a specific one

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:22:37 AM »
Certain files; typically open-source releases. For example, just now it's giving me crap trying to download WinMerge 2011. It's given the same error for OBS. It's ALWAYS "Evo-gen [Susp]"

I just don't understand why you can't tell the web shield, basically, "Shut up, I know what I'm doing." The ONLY OPTION is "Abort connection."

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »
OK I have just downloaded both programmes with Avast keeping quiet and not making a peep.  When I had them on the desktop I scanned them and Avast was quite happy

Could you post a screenshot of the Avast popup so that I can see exactly what it says