Author Topic: Red Screen/ unable to update . Aussie.  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Red Screen/ unable to update . Aussie.
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:39:20 PM »
Sems excessive to start a thread about this, but twice today in two different locations, Avast! has displayed the red screen , saying update was unsucessful, or words to that effect. Felt it important to report. I'm in Melbourne , Australia. Any one else having this problem.  ???
Two different computers, one at a friends house, on Win XP SP2 , and when I got home on my system, 'XP pro SP2. Hopefully it's just a short term problem. Want to keep an eye on it though , as I noticed my friends Comp hadn't updated the since the 12/9/05. Manual updating worked on my computer, ( vps 0537-2 ) 16/9/05 ;  but not on their's.
Initially , I wasn't concerned, as my friend has just yesterday changed ISProvider, and having general connectivity problems. But as it has happened on my comp. to, felt  I should report it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Red Screen/ unable to update . Aussie.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 08:55:11 PM »
But twice today in two different locations, Avast! has displayed the red screen
When, just after boot? Are both of the computers permanently connected to Internet?

Manual updating worked on my computer, ( vps 0537-2 ) 16/9/05 ;  but not on their's.
This is non-sense from them, I mean, if manual update does not work the automatic won't work either.
Do they allow avast.setup to connect (into the firewall settings)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:44:23 AM »
Thanks for responding Tech.
When, just after boot? Are both of the computers permanently connected to Internet?
Yes, after everything has loaded . Then Avast! update starts, can see the  update icon in task bar. The red & green thing  ;) Then was unable to update "Red Screen" pop up from taskbar, where normally the blue screen appears.
This is a couple of days later now, and I am just watching both systems at startup . Both dialup connections.
Access is allowed for Avast! in ZA so not firewall problem.
At shutdown they're getting the Ashserve.exe error message. It hangs, for maybe 10 seconds, then shuts down. That's been happening about 3 times a week for months.
Just trying to collect information at the moment so I can make sense of whether there's a problem or not. The Red Screen has not appeared again, just the  updating icon in the task bar. I suppose that indicates incremental updating is occuring.  ???
Quote from: Abraxas on 17 September 2005, 04:39:20
Manual updating worked on my computer, ( vps 0537-2 ) 16/9/05 ;  but not on their's.
Tech said:
This is non-sense from them, I mean, if manual update does not work the automatic won't work either.
Do they allow avast.setup to connect (into the firewall settings)?
Manual updating works on my computer. Not on The other person's. Firewall is o.k. for Avast! on their system.
I'm pretty sure there is a Problem with the Internet service provider, we share the same one, and that it is a local problem. That is why I asked if anyone in Melbourne, was having a problem.
Best to keep an eye on this, and no response from other people in Melbourne (Australia) so hopefully it will be o.k.
Is the latest vps file version :  vps 0537-2  09/16/05  ? as that is what i have .

galooma

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 12:45:35 PM »
Hi Abraxas as one of your fellow melbournians i can report that updates are working fine for me. I suggest you get your friend to look closer at his firewall settings (can i ask which one?)maybe. or check his ISP.
good luck  :) 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:51:25 PM by Cloussau »

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 07:07:39 PM »
 ;) Hi fellow Melburnian Cloussau !
I suggest you get your friend to look closer at his firewall settings (can i ask which one?)maybe. or check his ISP.
Firewall is ZoneAlarm free. They had just updated to 6.0.667.000 , so maybe a slight teething problem with program permissions, as they did a clean install.
Reason for posting was that I had the same thing happen ,on the same day, as I said , &  thought it may have been a local 'Bigpond' problem. Thankyou for verifying your updates are O.K.  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 08:22:29 PM »
There were times in the past when ZA forgot its settings, check in the Programs section and see if there is anything for avast.setup if so delete it and do a manual update ZA should ask permission for avast.setup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security