Author Topic: Conflict with ISP chat room  (Read 4349 times)

Offline tbird

• Proud avast user
Conflict with ISP chat room
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:53:12 PM »
In order to enter my ISP chat room I have to disable Avast.  As soon as I am in the room I can enable it again and it works fine.  I run 4 providers  Internet Mail, Network, Standard & Web Shield.  I have tried pausing them but that doesn't work.  Can anyone help me?  I have XP sp2.  I am new to Avast and computers so please explain simply.  I am learning a lot on your forum.  Thanks  I hope this question is not a repeat.  I checked search and found nothing.
XP/SP3, Intel Pentium 4, 992MB Ram, Avast 2014 Free, Chrome  with ABP , Private  Firewall 7.0,  MBAM, WinPatrol and Thunderbird 24.6.0

gallusik

Re: Conflict with ISP chat room
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 08:55:35 PM »
try to dissable web shield and restart computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:00:28 PM »
Which firewall do you use? Is WebShield allowed to connect?
The best things in life are free.

Offline tbird

• Proud avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:04:01 PM »
I use ZA Free and avast web scanner is checked.  Would it be a good idea to stop the web shield permanently?
XP/SP3, Intel Pentium 4, 992MB Ram, Avast 2014 Free, Chrome  with ABP , Private  Firewall 7.0,  MBAM, WinPatrol and Thunderbird 24.6.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 10:02:43 PM »
Would it be a good idea to stop the web shield permanently?

No, it won't.
Check this link http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

You should uninstall avast, boot, and while installing it again at the question avast! Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.

Offline tbird

• Proud avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 12:58:37 AM »
I have slow dial up so it took me a while to d/l.  I followed your instructions and clicked NO.  When I got back online I tried the chat room and it still did'nt work.  I still have to disable avast in order to get into the room and as soon as I am in I enabled it again and am able to use chat room.  Am I in any danger for the few seconds it takes to get into the chat room?  Also do I now have to re register with this new copy of avast and if so where do I go to do that?  Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 02:55:52 AM »
Am I in any danger for the few seconds it takes to get into the chat room?
Well configurated, avast!, chat rooms and XP should work without problem.

Also do I now have to re register with this new copy of avast and if so where do I go to do that?  Thanks for your help.
No, this is not a problem of registering.
Can you check the link http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html again and see if you configurate well the firewall, proxy settings, etc.?

Offline tbird

• Proud avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:52:57 AM »
I went back and reread and changed the proxy number and unchecked the box and now it is working just fine.  Thanks so much.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 01:46:34 PM »
I went back and reread and changed the proxy number and unchecked the box and now it is working just fine.  Thanks so much.
Tbird, I'm glad you did not give up.
Sometimes, avast! users (newbies) give up on configurating it just because the 1st tentative was wrong.
You can enjoy the powerful configuration hability of avast!
Oh, forum help too  8)

If you can, come back and help the others.