Author Topic: Outlook 2003 will not launch - looking for ashoutxt.dll  (Read 3552 times)

REDACTED

Outlook 2003 will not launch - looking for ashoutxt.dll
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
We have a client that uses an old terminal server running Server 2003.  They have users remote into this machine and then use outlook 2003.  At some point Avast 4.0 was installed, and removed.  For whatever reason last week Outlook stopped working.  when ever any one attempts to launch it they get the error:

The add-in "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Business\ashOutXt.dll" could not be installed or loaded.  This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu.

The problem is, once you click ok to this error, Outlook closes. 

I have run a registry cleaner.  I've also manually went in and removed the key "avast!" from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions .  This got rid of the error, but Outlook still will not start.  It just opens and gives a generic error and closes.
(I also tried a repair as well as a full re install with this key deleted, still no success)

I've repaired the program, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it.

I've deleted the extend.dat file  (same error)

I've run the latest Avast Cleaner and rebooted.

Still ... the error persists.

How can I disable this addon if I'm not able to open Outlook, is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks in Advance!

REDACTED

Re: Outlook 2003 will not launch - looking for ashoutxt.dll
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:40:43 AM »
I had the same problem. I updated my server 2003 with security patch.
Try also this thing.
You will get it on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391