Author Topic: "Full System Scan" Running Every Night at 10pm  (Read 2550 times)

REDACTED

"Full System Scan" Running Every Night at 10pm
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:51 AM »
Hey guys,

I have avast! Pro Antivirus 2015 running on my windows 7 desktop. Every night for the last month a full system scan runs at 10pm even though I can not find any such scan scheduled to occur - I've set one to run at 4am every morning, but this one never ends up running and the 10pm scan continues to run even when I un-schedule the 4am scan.

Is there anything I'm missing? What is causing a random 10pm scan to run every night, even when it appears no scan is scheduled?

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Full System Scan" Running Every Night at 10pm
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »
There have been some reporting that their scheduled scan doesn't start at the pre-set time - so I don't know if this is the same. But it would be somewhat strange if you have un-schedule the 4am scan.

Have you checked all of the possible scans, e.g. those in the drop down list - check their settings and see if there isn't another one scheduled to run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I've gone through each scan on the drop-down menu, and each was either unscheduled or I unscheduled it (in the case of the 4am scan). I've gone through every option and menu I can find in the program in search of a 10pm scan time, and I've found nothing.

It's possible I'm missing something obvious, but I've checked multiple times in multiple places and I'm just confused at this point.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:22:51 PM »
I don't think that there is anything obvious that you have missed as that is where the scheduling is in the current avast version.

I'm just wondering if there is some data relating to a previous version of avast of this unknown scheduled scan, this could be in the avast5.ini file.  Whilst this .ini file is a text file it isn't to easy to read and unless you know what your are looking at to be able to modify it safely isn't something I would recommend.

You could try an avast Repair, but I doubt this would do a clean of an old set of scan setting - so I would suggest a clean reinstall of avast. See below.

Before you do a clean reinstall ensure you have a copy of your avast pro license. If you haven't saved it you could use the - Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.

Clean Reinstall.
- Download the latest version of avast, 10.0.2208  http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs/Programs & Features, if you can't do that start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Note: save the copy of avastclear.exe so it can be reused as some users are reporting that after running it, it is self-deleting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:33 AM »
The work-around that works for me on all my W7 64-bit PCs is to un-schedule the "default" scan so it does not run.
Then, create a Custom Scan (ie. call it DAILY) and select the same type properties/settigs that are there in the FULL scan.
Schedule this Custom Scan.........for me those run at scheduled time.