Author Topic: Webshield cause crash while browsing  (Read 12496 times)

Evander

Webshield cause crash while browsing
« on: September 18, 2005, 05:57:43 AM »
Hi!

After a few seconds browsing on the web my computer reboot. If I turn off webshield everything works fine. I have no viruses (I scanned my pc online). I don't think this is caused by ZA, when ZA is turned off the crashes are still occuring. There is almost nothing on my pc, I just formated it. So, the causes for a conflict are limited. I tried using firefox and the same thing happens. Any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks for your help.

Eventlog: L'ordinateur a redémarré après une vérification d'erreur. La vérification d'erreur était : 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xc000000f, 0xeb0dcc54, 0x00000000). Un vidage a été enregistré dans : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091705-03.dmp.

Here are my pc specs

Système d'exploitation   Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Nu 2600
Éditeur   Microsoft Corporation
Ordinateur   
Fabricant   To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Modèle   To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Type   X86-based PC
Processeur   x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
Processeur   x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
Version du BIOS/Date   American Megatrends Inc. 1009.001, 2005-03-17
Version SMBIOS   2.3
Répertoire Windows   C:\WINDOWS
Répertoire système   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Périphérique de démarrage   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Option régionale   France
Couche d'abstraction matérielle   Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Utilisateur   
Fuseaux horaires   Est (heure d'été)
Mémoire physique totale   1 024,00 Mo
Mémoire physique disponible   701,75 Mo
Mémoire virtuelle totale   2,00 Go
Mémoire virtuelle disponible   1,96 Go
Espace pour le fichier d'échange   2,40 Go
Fichier d'échange   C:\pagefile.sys

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Webshield cause crash while browsing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 06:53:47 AM »
Get Process Viewer from Sysinternals and let it log things. See if you can find if it is a certain file or folder where it crashes on.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 05:19:20 PM »
Evander, more detailed info is recorded into the C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091705-03.dmp, please mail the file to rypacek (at) asw.cz and vlk (at) asw.cz.
Thanks.
lukor.

Edit: most probably you should be following this topic: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15991.msg139224#msg139224
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 05:23:39 PM by lukor »

Evander

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 10:12:48 PM »
Lukor: I changed the drivers as explained  in the link you provided and my PC still reboot. I also sent the last dump files to Rypacek and VLK

Eddy: Did you mean process explorer? I can't seem to find any application called process viewer.

Thanks for your help so far.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 03:30:09 AM »

Evander

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 03:58:10 AM »
Ok I have it running. How do I see wich process is crashing my system? What do I look for? This is really unknown territory for me. So, the more specifics the better.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:11:24 AM »
Ok I have it running. How do I see wich process is crashing my system? What do I look for? This is really unknown territory for me. So, the more specifics the better. Thanks
Maybe just using Ctrl+Alt+Del and clicking in the Process tab.
Then, order the programs by CPU usage and see which one is crashing the system, the one who takes all CPU.
Of course, there is other ways but let's try the simple way first...  8)

If you're using Process Explorer, better, than just order by CPU usage...
The best things in life are free.

Evander

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 12:41:53 AM »
I tried what you said but I can't get the information that way. The computer doesn't start to lag or anything like this before a crash. It just shut down really quickly. Just like if I was experiencing a power break. So I can't see if a process starts taking more CPU or not. Does Process Viewer has a way of logging the CPU usage until the crash? If so where do I look for this log.

Here is some more informations about my system
Avast 4.6.691
ZA 6.0.667
I'm connecting to the internet via a TRENDnet TEW-431BRP router

Thanks once again for trying to help me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 03:15:55 AM »
Does Process Viewer has a way of logging the CPU usage until the crash?
No, it's not... following crashes and debug them are very difficult. It's not an easy task.

Evander, you need to give us more info... what are you doing right before crash, which applications are running at that time...

wkujater

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 06:13:08 PM »
Hello. I am also experiencing the exact same problem. I was able to replicate this problem successivley yesterday about 10 times before i turned off On-Access protection on Avast. I have Avast home 4.6.691 and just upgraded (right before this problem started happening) to ZoneAlarm 6.0.667

So I would power up, and the 1st thing I would do after logging in would be start browser (either FF or IE) and the 1st site I try to go to I would get the BSOD (same messages as previous poster).

I tried this also with ZA turned off, but it still happens. Once I turn off the On Access protection, though, I havent had the problem since.

cvsa

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 06:58:07 PM »
uninstalling za 6 solved the problem on 2 computers of my friends.... reinstall the old  za 5.5 : no problem

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 10:19:30 PM »
I have Avast home 4.6.691 and just upgraded (right before this problem started happening) to ZoneAlarm 6.0.667
Everything if fine for me (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16459.msg140358#msg140358)
Do you have (or had) any other antivirus installed?
Did you disable avast! to install ZA?
Any other security program that we must take care (ProcessGuard, for instance)?

Evander

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 04:19:01 AM »
Ok I tried something different and I think we are progressing. I tought ZA couldn't be the problem  because even when ZA was turned off my pc would reboot. But tonight I completely uninstalled ZA. I then turned web shield back on. From then I've been loading web pages after web pages. It's been ten minutes and I can't seem to be able to make it crash. I was able to crash it within 30 sec before...

So I'll take cvsa advice and install ZA 5.5.

Does anyone know  how safe it is to run an outdated version of ZA or even better does anyone have an idea on how to solve the conflict between those two applications?

Edited to answer TECH questions:
Do you have (or had) any other antivirus installed?
No other AV were installed

Did you disable avast! to install ZA?
I can't remember if I installed ZA or Avast first. For future references what is the right procedure to folow? Install avast, disable it then install ZA?

Any other security program that we must take care (ProcessGuard, for instance)?
I don't thinks so. This is a list of what was running before I tried to crash my system

Process   PID   CPU   Description   Company Name
System Idle Process   0   97.69      
 Interrupts   n/a   0.77   Hardware Interrupts   
 DPCs   n/a      Deferred Procedure Calls   
 System   4   0.77      
  smss.exe   460      Gestionnaire de session Windows NT   Microsoft Corporation
   csrss.exe   508      Client Server Runtime Process   Microsoft Corporation
   winlogon.exe   532      Application d'ouverture de session Windows NT   Microsoft Corporation
    services.exe   576      Applications Services et Contrôleur   Microsoft Corporation
     ati2evxx.exe   776      ATI External Event Utility EXE Module   ATI Technologies Inc.
     svchost.exe   792      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
     svchost.exe   844      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
     svchost.exe   908      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
      wscntfy.exe   1264      Windows Security Center Notification App   Microsoft Corporation
     svchost.exe   996      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
     svchost.exe   1028      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
     spoolsv.exe   1216      Spooler SubSystem App   Microsoft Corporation
     aswUpdSv.exe   1788         
     ashServ.exe   1804      avast! antivirus service   
     SMAgent.exe   1944      SoundMAX service agent component   Analog Devices, Inc.
     wdfmgr.exe   264      Windows User Mode Driver Manager   Microsoft Corporation
     ashMaiSv.exe   1312      avast! e-Mail Scanner Service   ALWIL Software
     alg.exe   1928      Application Layer Gateway Service   Microsoft Corporation
     svchost.exe   2384      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
     ashWebSv.exe   1184      avast! Web Scanner   ALWIL Software
     svchost.exe   1400      Generic Host Process for Win32 Services   Microsoft Corporation
    lsass.exe   596      LSA Shell (Export Version)   Microsoft Corporation
    ati2evxx.exe   1380      ATI External Event Utility EXE Module   ATI Technologies Inc.
explorer.exe   1476      Explorateur Windows   Microsoft Corporation
 ashDisp.exe   1568      avast! service GUI component   
 ctfmon.exe   1600      CTF Loader   Microsoft Corporation
 iexplore.exe   3288      Internet Explorer   Microsoft Corporation
 procexp.exe   580   0.77   Sysinternals Process Explorer   Sysinternals

Process: Procexp Pid: -2

Type   Name

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:29:56 PM by Evander »

cvsa

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 09:01:40 AM »
the pc on which there was a problem was a brand new pc with no other program installed. new installation of avast and za under xp ! Crash while browsing under mozilla firefox 1.06 and IE6. turning za off is not enough. i needed to unonstall it.

i did za 6 update on my own pc under win98se, and so far, i don't have any problem.

i think there's a problem between za 6 and avast web shield under xp.

rem : is the language (french important ?) cause evander seems to be french too.....

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 09:47:39 AM »
I hesitate to add to this thread since I am not, beyond reasonable doubt, sure that I am experiencing the same problem reported by others here.

On 09/13 I installed the upgrade of ZA6 as a clean installation (rather than as an upgrade - so complying with the recommendation by Zonelabs).

Since 09/13 I have experienced 4 unexplained system failure/restarts.  My last prior unexplained system restart was so long ago that I do not recall it.    No dumps have been recorded by these recent failures.

In each system failure I was simply browsing web sites using Firefox (1.0.6). Scanning my Goback logs shows that nothing else was happening in the system other than Firefox activity related to the browsing (file activity by avast in caching/scanning browser accesses is placed - via registry - on a non-Goback disk drive and therefore not recorded).

I certainly do not have a system processor that provides hyperthreading,  far less being a multi-processor configuration - indeed in Intel years it is probably now classed as Neanderthal. 

However, I though that little harm could come of installing the avast update provided in this thread.  As part of my hesistation to add to this thread it has now been only about 30 hours since installing the avast update but, at least, in that time I have not experienced further system failures. 

If I do I will report back - and I guess I will then have to consider reverting to Zonealarm 5.5.

Oh, I and my system are not French.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 09:49:57 AM by alanrf »