Author Topic: OE Folder3.mbx false pos?  (Read 2040 times)

Rick F

OE Folder3.mbx false pos?
« on: September 16, 2005, 10:30:45 PM »
I've been using avast now for 2 or 3 weeks.  Trying to get used to how it works.

I think I may be getting false positives in my Outlook Express, mbx folder for "VBS:KAK-A1 [Wrm]".  I'm scanning with avast (on demand scan) set to 'High' sensitivity and scanning 'archived' files.  There were many files within the "Folder3.mbx" that showed infected with a variation of Kak worm.  I've used McAfee VS for about 6 years and have been a moderator for their forum for 3 years, so I'm pretty sure I don't have an infected email archived.

Although, I should also add that I uploaded the 'Folder3.mbx' file to Jotti for testing and about half of the 14 scanners there reported something with Kak or Kak worm.  This is an archived folder from 2001.  Should I just delete it... leave it in the vault... or is this a known problem with scanning archived on high sensitivity or heuristic scanning? If it is a problem with false postives, I can exclude the OE folder since all email is being scanned by avast as it's being downloaded.

Thanks for your help.  Still trying to learn avast's operation.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: OE Folder3.mbx false pos?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 11:25:49 PM »
If various scanners in Jotti page detected a virus, then the file is infected and is not a falase posotive. Make a search in google about that virus. Als you can check the file here too http://www.virustotal.com/xhtml/index_en.html
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: OE Folder3.mbx false pos?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:54:13 AM »
Would compacting the folder help? (File / Folder / Compact, or even Compact all).