Author Topic: P.U.P. (Avast Free)  (Read 2633 times)

Offline ikedervaals

P.U.P. (Avast Free)
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
Hi Avast Team, i just want to have a clarification on  PUP (potentially unwanted software). I read an article about PUP (avast) on smallbusiness.chron.com, on this article it says that "Avast will then scan the File System Shield whenever it scans your computer". My question is assuming you check the P.U.P. box on file, web and mail shield settings and you also check the P.U.P. box of full system scan, will the file, web and mail shield will automatically scan for P.U.P. and detect it automatically? or you must do the full system scan first (PUP box is checked) in order to discover the PUP's on your system? and is it correct that base on the the article i read, avast will scan the shields whenever you do system scanning? Thanks in advance Avast Team   ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: P.U.P. (Avast Free)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
Wrong information on that website.
Why would avast scan its own file system shield?
Think about that.

With pup detection enabled, avast will check if a application is a (possible) pup.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:00:30 PM »
My question is assuming you check the P.U.P. box on file, web and mail shield settings and you also check the P.U.P. box of full system scan, will the file, web and mail shield will automatically scan for P.U.P. and detect it automatically?
Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ikedervaals

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »
With pup detection enabled, avast will check if a application is a (possible) pup.
How about in web and mail shields? How can they detect pup's?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »
How about in web and mail shields? How can they detect pup's?
You've to ask the devs. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ikedervaals

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
You've to ask the devs. ;)
Ow lol  :D