Author Topic: (Solved) Avast Free Scan Identified Two Items, Reboot Can't Get to Desktop  (Read 9023 times)

REDACTED

I'll try to give as much information as I can.

Yesterday morning I ran an Avast (free) virus scan and it detected two files which it put in the "chest."  It suggested a reboot, and something about an additional scan.  I do not remember the files tagged nor the scan it suggested.  I rebooted since it all seemed reasonable.  Upon reboot, it never got to desktop.  It didn't get anywhere, splash screen, Windows logo, nothing.  After many minutes, I held the power button to manually shut down.  This has happened a few times in the last six months (post Avast install).  But it always worked again after turning back on (after manual power down).  But now it didn't.  I tried several times, same thing.  I even left it on for over an hour thinking maybe something is happening in the background, but nothing.  No clues or indications as to what is wrong.  Always a black screen.  No mouse cursor or anything.  Monitor says it isn't getting a signal.

I did research all day on the topic.  I tried getting to a "safe mode" or to BIOS by tapping function keys.  No avail.  I tried booting with the Windows 7 recovery DVD I got with the computer.  Nothing.  I tried unplugging the battery for 15 minutes to clear memory.  Nothing changed.  Tried replacing the battery.  No luck.  After unplugging and plugging back in the battery to clear memory, the problem seems worse, actually.  Now, shutting down the machine requires simply pressing the button rather than holding it.  There are no unusual sounds from the machine.  Power lights come on as expected, fans hum and I get a single beep.  Nothing after that.  I tried another monitor, different cables, nothing appears in any combination.  Always a black screen.

I'm about out of ideas.  Any advice?  I've been able to solve many PC issues with the internet's help, but this one has me stumped.

Windows 7, Alienware X51.  If more detail is needed, I can provide.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:26:26 AM by arctic_fox_7 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Free Scan Identified Two Items, Reboot Can't Get to Desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »
Open the case, clean it.
Take out all cards and reseat them.
Disconnect drives and connect them again.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:21:51 AM »
Hi Eddy,

Thanks for responding.  I removed the cover, removed the video card, the DVD drive, the RAM and the hard drive.  That's all I have in the system.  I blew air through the system and reconnected/reseated everything.  Upon boot up, I got a constant beeping which I've read is due to not correctly seating the RAM.  So I took them out again and made sure I pushed them all the way in this time.  Turned on the computer once more and no change from original status.  Lights come on, fan turns, one single beep, then nothing.  Powering down takes a simple push of the power button, no holding required.  It's as if its not getting too far into the boot process.

Any other ideas?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:42 AM »
So when you boot do you even see the BIOS splash screen ?
If you can't even get into the BIOS then it is not an O/S issue since you are not even getting to boot sector.

Did you recently upgrade or add more memory by chance ?
When the power goes on does the HDD light blink or anything ?

Really hard to tell......I'm only guessing.....but..........
1) If no BIOS splash and POST screen then the motherboard is not being seen.
2) If you see BIOS splash then use the DEL or whatever the POST message on screen key that gets you into BIOS.
Form there I'd see if it sees the HDD.  I ask because if you are hitting power button and just "turns off" then doesn't sound like HDD has spun up.
3) Memory issues cause wierd problems........again, if you get into the BIOS see what it say you have for memory and alot of BIOS have hardware memory test built in.  If for some reason you added or upgraded memory put the old memory back in and try.
4) You said you tried to boot to W7 Recovery CD and nothing came up I can only guess the BIOS did not get to point to look for HDD then DVD/CD drive.  Again, it would be telling if you cannot even get into BIOS.

Just some thoughts.....frankly some random guesses....

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:40:49 AM by thekochs »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 01:35:16 AM »
Try another graphics card and monitor.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:41:35 AM »
I pulled the video card completely out and rebooted.  I can now get to a rudimentary setup screen.  I think this confirms the video card is shot, no?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:56 AM »
Try another graphics card and monitor.

Good thought........does the MoBo you are using have Gfx on the motherboard ?
If so, I assume disabled in BIOS since you have Gfx card........if so, pull Gfx card, go into BIOS and enable.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:43:19 AM »
I pulled the video card completely out and rebooted.  I can now get to a rudimentary setup screen.  I think this confirms the video card is shot, no?

What does it say ?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:48:10 AM »
It looked like the Alienware splash screen you'd get if you bypassed boot (so the screenshots on the internet tell me).  It then said RTC is Reset, BIOS setup default is loaded, strike f1 to  continue, f2 to enter setup.  I wasn't getting this far with the video card in.  I wasn't getting anything.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:51:09 AM »
It doesn't have to be the card, it can also be the slot/motherboard.
Enter the bios and check time/date.
If that is correct, try another card and make sure the bios is set to use the card as primary graphics device.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:59:18 AM »
It doesn't have to be the card, it can also be the slot/motherboard.
Enter the bios and check time/date.
If that is correct, try another card and make sure the bios is set to use the card as primary graphics device.

Time/Date may be hosed up but as you said disable the on-board Gfx (I assume that is what OP is using to see this) and try new card...as you said make sure in BIOS set to primary.  Not sure what "slot" OP is putting in or config of his desktop but trying another slot is good variable to try if OP has it....obviously, depends on MoBo & Gfx card.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »
Date/time was reset to 1/1/2012.  I did unplug the battery, though.

I also do not have another card handy to test.  Is there any other way to diagnose?

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:39 AM »
OK....so since you took out the battery this is why the BIOS is saying to setup....it lost its config & time/day.
I assume you are using the on-board Mobo Gfx to see all this on your monitor ?
BTW, what was the gfx card and what was the slot (type) you were putting it into ?

So, what happens if you select F1 ? ........does it boot ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:13:14 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 02:19:31 AM »
Yes, I completely pulled the video card and I imagine the system is using the integrated capability.  It went to a desktop like screen where it wants to install Windows 7.  Probably because I accidentally left the recovery DVD in the drive (when trying to diagnose the original issue)...

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 02:21:04 AM »
For this to work you had to move the cable from the Gfx card connection to back of PC, correct ?
Also, remove the W7 recovery CD and reboot......hit the F1 for default config and see if boots.