Author Topic: (Solved) Avast Free Scan Identified Two Items, Reboot Can't Get to Desktop  (Read 9156 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast Free Scan Identified Two Items, Reboot Can't Get to Desktop
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 02:28:59 AM »
No, I'm using an HDMI connection running from the top of the computer.  There is a connection at the back of the card, but I wasn't plugged in there.

Removed the DVD and rebooted, but now it's prompting me to put it back in.  Damn.

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Guess I need to find the boot order in BIOS...

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:21 AM »
When you are in BIOS see if it IDs you HDD...I assume it will to select it as primary boot device.

Also, hard to visualize the connection.......you are still running from same Gfx card via a different HDMI connection ?

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:38:18 AM »
No it's weird and not something I even noticed until I started this whole process.  The back of the computer has an HDMI connection near the USBs.  It's built into the machine itself.  There is also an HDMI connection on the video card itself.  I've always used the top one (not the video card).  Just noticed I had been doing that for years now.  But the system always defaulted to the graphics card anyway.  Now that the graphics card is removed, it went to the motherboard I would imagine.  But the same HDMI port.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:20 AM »
I'm trying to follow and looked at the X51 Manual.
You are saying you never moved the HDMI cable ever in this process ?
I ask because as you look at the back of the machine the HDMI port by the USB ports I think is part of the motherboard.....basically an on-board graphics controller.  The HDMI port on the Gfx card clearly uses the "card".
So, I'm asking dumb question that if you never moved the HDMI cable in this process then were you ever using the Gfx add-in card truly ?
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN116507/EN

Also, let me know how it goes after you get into BIOS and look for HDD and set boot order.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:56:33 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:53 AM »
I can change the boot priority (back to hard drive), but it still wants a disk.  When I go to setup, I get an intro screen that shows a "legacy boot" using the DVD-ROM in addition to options that will go to BIOS or other diagnostic tools.

No, always used the top port.  But yes, in the system, it recognized and used the plug in graphics card (nVidia, in this case).  So something in there must have been passing the information through?  I know, I just noticed it myself.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:56:15 AM »
I can change the boot priority (back to hard drive), but it still wants a disk.  When I go to setup, I get an intro screen that shows a "legacy boot" using the DVD-ROM in addition to options that will go to BIOS or other diagnostic tools.

No, always used the top port.  But yes, in the system, it recognized and used the plug in graphics card (nVidia, in this case).  So something in there must have been passing the information through?  I know, I just noticed it myself.

If you never had a cable from your graphics card to monitor I do not see how it ever used the Gfx card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSxsGaVHW8&feature=youtu.be
....but not really the point here at moment.

So, in the BIOS besides the "boot order" is there a section for it to identify the HDD ?
In other words there should be place it shows Hitachi blah...blah or Seagate blah...blah....or whatever brand, blah..blah = size/model.
Frankly, my concern is your PC is beeping once which is fine and BIOS is not seeing HDD....that is why it is asking you for boot media.
The fact you hit power and it just "shuts off" versus "shuts down" (via needing a longer press) in my experience means only the P/S is turning off since nothing else needs to.....ie, no HDD.

So, this could be bad cable to HDD or crashed HDD.
Try re-seating the HDD cables (data & power) from on motherboard & HDD.
I assume on this PC it has LEDs for HDD ?.........do they blink when you power on ?
Do you have backup image of your HDD ?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:01:16 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 03:05:08 AM »
It recognizes the HDD (ST1000... seagate drive] and the DVD drive in SATA 2 and 1, respectively.  I can change the boot order so that the 1st boot is the hard drive.  But upon rebooting, it still prompts for a disk.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 03:17:42 AM »
Good news the HDD is seen....but puzzling it is asking for boot device.
Unfortunately I have to leave for the evening.....be back tomorrow.
It seems that if the HDD is "seen" then possible issue with MBR or BCD.
You can do some reading here and I've PMed Eddy to see if he is around for some suggestions while I'm gone.
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN115053/EN
If it was me I'd try again to use the Recovery CD you have and try to get to the Startup Repair
1. Restart your computer.
2. At the Alienware Logo screen, press <F8> repeatedly.
3. At the Advanced Boot Options, highlight Repair Your Computer then press <Enter>. (Windows 7)
4. Windows will start loading files; this may take a few minutes.
5. Once your computer boots into System Recovery Options click next.
6. You can choose in Startup Repair as first option
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:22:08 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:45 AM »
OK, I appreciate all your help.  This is rather strange.  BIOS sees the HDD.  In the ePSA diagnostic, the HDD checks out fine.  I did find where I can disable the DVD-ROM 1st boot, so I thought that was the trick.  But now the system is saying it cannot boot from the HDD and suggest reseating it.  I've removed and reseated it to no avail.  I'm wondering if all these issues are somehow related.

I'll read up and continue working through it.

Thanks again! 

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 03:32:40 AM »
now the system is saying it cannot boot from the HDD and suggest reseating it.  I've removed and reseated it to no avail.  I'm wondering if all these issues are somehow related.

If the HDD is OK the first thing the BIOS does is go to MBR which is "seems" like you are not getting to.
I attached a pic to help explain.....power-to-MBR-to-BCD.

Per above post & link (Reply #22)........try to get to startup repair via the CD.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:34:35 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:22:50 AM »
All right.  I have no idea why, but the system is completely restored.  The video card in question even works (I did move the HDMI cable to the card, BTW).

After removing the video card, I was able to get to BIOS.  From BIOS I configured the boot disk (HDD) and disabled the DVD-ROM as first boot.  I then needed to switch from legacy to UEFI.  That was the piece that allowed me to boot to safe mode.  From there I repaired the system.  Didn't tell me what it repaired, but it finished up and I rebooted and everything worked.  So, on a whim, I plugged the video card back in and rebooted.  It all works.  Amazing.  Two days and 16 hours of putzing around with it and apparently the only thing wrong was something mysterious.

Which brings me back to the initiating event.  Could Avast have tagged one or more files and through quarantine corrupted the boot process?  I'll never know because I don't remember the files it selected for the chest.

Anyway, thank you gentlemen.  You helped me through this and hung in there for hours.  I appreciate it!

REDACTED

Re: (Solved) Avast Free Scan Identified Two Items, Reboot Can't Get to Desktop
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »
Hard to know what happened......but Avast could have corrupted something......all new A/Vs are so intrusive in O/S that if something goes wrong the outcome can have severe impact.  This is ALL A/Vs......not just Avast.....the premiss is that Viruses, Trojans, etc. are so intrusive the protection has to be as well.  Of course the integrity of the O/S should always be retained but "things" happen.  It sounds like "something" mucked up the MBR or BCD and the startup repair fixed it......whew, good !

So, here is my suggestion.....do a CLEAN un-re-install of Avast.
See my signature on the How-To link.
Your Avast install may not be corrupt and it may have been the false positives removal of system file that caused it but with the changes to startup I'd take the 15-20 minutes to do the CLEAN un-re-install.

Also, in future if Avast finds something don't just automatically let is do a boot time scan.
Also, in Settings the Virus scan make sure the default action is set to quarantinne, not delete.
This way of something does go wrong you can get back into Safe Mode you can restore those files.
Also, buy a $50 external USB HDD and use a imaging software and backup, backup, backup. :)
My How-To has info on this and you can run a full image every night when you are asleep....may take hour.

Glad things worked out !
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:47:22 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

Re: (Solved) Avast Free Scan Identified Two Items, Reboot Can't Get to Desktop
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
Will do all you suggested.

Thanks for the help and the advice!