Author Topic: Avast and ScRegSetValueExW  (Read 4077 times)

REDACTED

Avast and ScRegSetValueExW
« on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:53 PM »
In my Windows 7 (64-bits) event viewer I get the same error message (since November) with every boot :

Source: Service Control Manager
The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Type with the following error:
Access is denied.

(This is a translation of the Dutch error message which I got having a Dutch Windows system)

I did some research on the web and noticed that it was usually related to Anti-Virus programs (AV and Panda are mentioned most), so I thought I would look into the Avast logs to see if there could be any connection. Strangely enough I think I found one: every time the event viewer shows this message I find the following message with exactly the same time stamp in the selfdef.log in the Avast\log directory:

Schrijftoegang tot registersleutel \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VBoxAswDrv is geweigerd. [L:\Windows\System32\services.exe] My system is on L: in case you're wondering.
Roughly translated this means:
Writing access denied to register key \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VBoxAswDrv. [L:\Windows\System32\services.exe]

I'm using the latest Free Avast Antivirus program

The event viewer error seems to be AVAST related. Does anyone recognize this? Is there any way to end these error messages?

REDACTED

Re: Avast and ScRegSetValueExW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
An extra indication that this Event Viewer error is Avast related: if I try to chnage anything in the service AvastVBox COM Service (which might be related to VBoxAswDrv mentioned in the selfdef.log of Avast, though I'm not sure) the same error appears in the event viewer. In the seldef,log the message is slightly different as it is refering to AvastVBoxSvc instead of VBoxAswDrv.

But the question remains the same: how to resolve the error messages?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
Nobody?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »
If you don't get any answer here, submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
They don't react on a ticket. No response whatsoever since jan 15. The ticket is just sitting there.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
I'm only guessing here but is NG installed ? ......it was in options (default is checked) in TOOLS menu if you had clicked on Custom Install.
I mention since the VBoxAswDrv has something to do with virtual but not 100% sure if that is NG related or not.
I'd do a clean un-re-install and also uncheck NG in Tools in CUSTOM and see if this solves.
You can always go to CHANGE in the Avast installer and re-add NG back in later.
Look at my signature on the clean un-re install How-To.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:13:17 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
Thanks for your response.

Actually I got a response from Avast technical support a few hours ago telling me to do more or less the same.

I did it and the errors seem to be gone! Problem solved! Many thanks for your helpful reply.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »
Good to hear !