Author Topic: URL:MAL Problem - favicon.ico/pop-up - Help Please! (Logs Attached)  (Read 17328 times)

REDACTED

Re: URL:MAL Problem - favicon.ico/pop-up - Help Please! (Logs Attached)
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
Since this problem is still persisting for over a month, do you think a reinstallation of the O/S would work? Or, will it not matter due to the msn browser being used (and possibly exploited)?

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
I'd try a different browser first. If the problem is persistent, we can try a complete re-installation.

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »
It seems that I only get the detection when using the msn browser.  I haven't noticed any conflicts with IE.

When I uninstalled the msn browser, I used Revo.  I've read that revo doesn't support 64bit. Is it possible that infected fragments were left behind? If so, should I use advanced uninstaller pro instead and then run any scans afterwards before reinstalling? Also I use Cccleaner, but am tentative about using the registry cleaner option (there are entries listed but I'm not proficient enough to distinguish safe from garbage).

I'm just brainstorming ideas before an O/S reinstall if necessary  I'm concerned that my license key to MS office may not work after reformatting (possibly used too many times on work computers)  Therefore, I would have to purchase a new license. I know that there is an upgrade option with the O/S reinstall that will keep files and programs, but wasn't sure if the infection would remain.  Do you believe that my computer is infected or is it a browser issue and/or otherwise?

REDACTED

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 06:46:01 AM »
I am inclined to believe it a browser issue. Please, refrain from using any kind of Registry cleaners. They do more harm than good.