Author Topic: How well does Avast Free block ransomware?  (Read 30814 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How well does Avast Free block ransomware?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »
Ransomware is nothing special, it is just malware.
Detection is done through signatures.

If you look at the vps history, you will see avast already detects several variants of it.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
Also, did some research on MBAM Anti-Exploit and interesting how it covers you on the new CrytpoWall.
Just so you know it's not "MBAM Anti-Exploit" MBAM is one tool - Malwarebytes AntiMalware, MBAE is another tool - Malwarebytes AntiExploit

You've also placed it incorrectly in your signature ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
I really don't understand the point of this topic. The OP has been given multiple answers to his question "How well does Avast block ransomware?", but continues to push for a response from Avast!

Does the OP honestly believe that Avast will disclose there failure rate in detection of X malware?

This is my final post in this topic, hopefully it will come to a end soon.

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
Also, did some research on MBAM Anti-Exploit and interesting how it covers you on the new CrytpoWall.
Just so you know it's not "MBAM Anti-Exploit" MBAM is one tool - Malwarebytes AntiMalware, MBAE is another tool - Malwarebytes AntiExploit

You've also placed it incorrectly in your signature ;)

I want to be correct.......I think I see what you are saying..........to be clear.....
MalwareBytes = MBAM Free (just short web name......but scanner only.....not Active Shield)
MalwareBytes Pro = MBAM Pro (scanner + active shield)....think they changed name to "Premium".
MalwareBytes AntiExploit Free = MBAE Free (browser protection)
MalwareBytes AntiExploit Premium = MBAE Premium (browser + other programs like Office, PDF, etc.)
I tweaked my signature.....thx.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:19:23 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
I really don't understand the point of this topic. The OP has been given multiple answers to his question "How well does Avast block ransomware?", but continues to push for a response from Avast!

Does the OP honestly believe that Avast will disclose there failure rate in detection of X malware?

This is my final post in this topic, hopefully it will come to a end soon.

I'm not OP but I'd be interested to see that Avast "blocks" it....not just "finds" it.....I think OP put the word "block" in title for reason.
Every A/V finds and removes it.......that is of almost little help.
Once Cryptolock "runs" (if not blocked) the damage is done.
I don't care how, nor want to know how, Avast detects......I want to see that Avast "blocks" the execution of CryptoWall/Lock/etc.
In other words like MBAM & Sophos has done on YouTube.....have a video where you launch the Crypto EXE and show the Avast shield/deepscan/etc "block" the execution.  If the Mega Posters are so sure then they can generate this example video.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:45:55 PM by thekochs »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:08 AM »
I'm a little late getting in here, but I'd definitely add my vote to the avast free-MBAM-CryptoPrevent combination.  Back when the Crypto-Locker scare was at its peak, it was strongly recommended to add the last two items to your defense "arsenal".  I already had MBAM free, but upgrading to Pro/Premium for (at the time, don't know if it's still true) a one-time nominal lifetime license fee added auto-updating plus resident protection.

CryptoPrevent doesn't even use any resources, other than briefly while installing or checking for updates (similar to Spyware Blaster in that respect). It works by modifying permissions so that executables can't open from data folders, only from program-files sub-folders.

And I agree with what's been said many times above and elsewhere -- since there's no such thing as a 100-percent guarantee on any single product, multi-layer protection is by far your best bet.

Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »
It blocks ransomware well.
I can  personally attest that of the 11 computers I keep an eye on for family and friends that they all use Avast free and we have had 0 ransomware attacks so far.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 09:02:58 AM »
It blocks ransomware well.
I can  personally attest that of the 11 computers I keep an eye on for family and friends that they all use Avast free and we have had 0 ransomware attacks so far.
Proves NOTHING... Unless you can demonstrate conclusively that:
1) One or more of those computers visited a site where ransomware was known to be present at the time of the visit.
AND
2) Avast! prevented a ransomware infection from occurring while visiting such a site.

Otherwise, the most parsimonious explanation for your experience is that NONE of those people ever actually visited a site that hosted ransomware.

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »
Any further clarification on this topic?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 11:53:38 PM »
Any further clarification on this topic?
Things have change a lot in over two years since this topic was started, in avast's protection, components and not to forget malware and ransomware have also changed.

There are other topics more recent than this.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=196227.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security