Author Topic: Last Popup Message...........  (Read 6405 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Last Popup Message...........
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »
When I click on "show last popup message" it won't open and it isn't greyed out.  Ran a quick scan and no viruses were found. Up until today I've been able to see what the last popup was about so am wondering why it won't open now.  ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Last Popup Message...........
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
See if a repair solves it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
When I click on "show last popup message" it won't open and it isn't greyed out.  Ran a quick scan and no viruses were found. Up until today I've been able to see what the last popup was about so am wondering why it won't open now.  ???

Had you actually see an avast popup since you restarted your system that you want to view again ?

EDIT: I thought I had a popup earlier today on this XP system, yet the option to 'show last popup message' was greyed out.

On my win7 netbook on starting it I got one of the avast information/product ads, the 'show last popup message' was available but clicking it doesn't display the last message. So it looks like avast may have decided that only avast specific popups, alerts, etc. can be displayed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:00:04 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

Had you actually see an avast popup since you restarted your system that you want to view again ?

EDIT: I thought I had a popup earlier today on this XP system, yet the option to 'show last popup message' was greyed out.

On my win7 netbook on starting it I got one of the avast information/product ads, the 'show last popup message' was available but clicking it doesn't display the last message. So it looks like avast may have decided that only avast specific popups, alerts, etc. can be displayed.
Will be nice if that is the case.    :)    What should have been done in the first place.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »
I'm not entirely sure this is the intended action by avast or a hiccup - I can't recall if there was a GUI tweak to fix something else recently.

This has a different result on my XP system, I'm sure I saw a popup shortly after startup, yet there was no activation of the 'show last popup message' text in the context menu of the tray icon. So there appears to be a difference across different OSes.

However, if that is the direction that avast is going, it would be better not to trigger the 'show last popup message' text in the context menu of the tray icon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »

This happened to me too. I had one information/product ad for mobile product and the "show last popup message" is greyed out so you might be right to think that only some specific popups can be recalled afterwards.

I take that. Just got the new VPS and with it came the information/product ad for mobile product which I could retrieved with the "show last popup message" option... mmmh I do not know why I could not do the same this morning.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:16:48 PM by iroc9555 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »
Reported to Moderator. :)  Let's see if Avast has a comment to this new behavior
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »
Well I'm down to my XP system now I can't further test this on win7 as it looks like my acer netbook has shuffled of its mortal coil. Possible HDD failure, it is showing power light and battery charging but no drive light. I think I will drop test it out of the upstairs window to make sure its dead.

My XP system is twice as old and still going strong.

Might get an android tablet Samsung Galaxy Note Pro as my backup second system.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:20 PM »
Well I'm down to my XP system now I can't further test this on win7 as it looks like my acer netbook has shuffled of its mortal coil. Possible HDD failure, it is showing power light and battery charging but no drive light. I think I will drop test it out of the upstairs window to make sure its dead.

Sorry for the loss but,  :)   :)   :)  too funny about the testing. Same thing happened to my Dell laptop  :'(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:56 AM »

Sorry for the loss but,  :)   :)   :)  too funny about the testing. Same thing happened to my Dell laptop  :'(

I had been considering replacing it starting to get slow and really it was a true backup system only to be able to connect if I experienced any issues with my main system, so I could fix it. It was handy as you say for testing purposes also.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:58:18 AM »
So it looks like avast may have decided that only avast specific popups, alerts, etc. can be displayed.
On my Win7 x64 system, a couple of days ago I tried that View Last Popup thing, and got the "add mobile security" ad.  I've got no mobile devices, nor (at present) any great urge to acquire one.

So if Avast ever gets back to us, and if your guess is even halfway correct, David, it'll be interesting to see what they consider "avast specific".
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:40 AM »
Only pop-up I've seen lately has been the 'Smart Scan'.  As smart scan basically combines a scan similar to the brief scan one sees when avast! is first installed along with the network scan, really not worth the cpu cycles and time to run.  Running network scan alone by itself is a different matter entirely.  It takes less time, and leave knowing the network is in good shape.  Anyway, running a static file virus scan is generally a waste of time as it is the real-time scanning capabilities of avast! that counts in protection.  So the smart scan is never run because of that.

@DavidR,
Sorry to hear about your netbook.  Seems many devices are made to be somewhat disposable these days, either thru obsolescence or by design. 
I'd recommend a Dell.  Dell has come back from the dead since Michael Dell regained control of it.  Seems quality and bang for the buck is back over there. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:24:16 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »
@ mchain
Strangely enough, having given it a few light bumps and switching it off over night, it has come back to life. Not sure how long this might last.

I'm thinking on an android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Note Pro), not to keen on the idea of the walled garden that is windows 8.1 (taking many a leaf out of Apple's book) - certainly in the near term. I will have to see if windows 10 or even later is any less restrictive.

<Back on-topic>
Getting lots of the Business ad-popups for the last few of days, here is yet another popup that is of very little use to the 200+ million avast users, yet everyone is getting - on my recently revived win7 system - yet clicking the 'show last popup message' fails to show the popup.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:16 PM »
I wonder if this is geo-specific? Here in Oklahoma I have yet to see this pop-up activity.
It appears to be going on mostly in the U.K.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
Just restarted my computer and I had a popup which said "Avast protects you at work too" but when I clicked on show last popup message it didn't show anything and it wasn't greyed out.  Guess that feature doesn't work anymore, at least not where I live in the USA.