Author Topic: Grimefighter made pc endlessly reboot  (Read 6306 times)

REDACTED

Grimefighter made pc endlessly reboot
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:13 AM »
Was working on a client's computer, her PC endlessly rebooted and booted every time to Grimefighter screen. Sometimes would get pass Grimefighter screen to Windows 7 desktop, and then 5 seconds later PC would automatically shutdown.  How did I solve the problem? Booted to safe mode and uninstalled Avast. Then restarted computer and everything back to normal. I have been recommending Avast to my Mac clients, but am now cautious of recommending it to PC users.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:54:19 AM by jgelfond »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Grimefighter made pc endlessly reboot
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:15:14 AM »
I don't think you had to remove avast.
Only removing that crap called GrimeFighter would have been enough.

The idea of GrimeFighter is good, but since it was programmed (and although avast has improved things) it never ever has worked anywhere close as to it is supposed to.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:37 AM »
just got grimefigher & tried using it. it kept noting that it cannot logon to the internet connection.
so I turn off the firewall & tried again and again but the same thing happened, can't find internet connection.
now my connection is hardwire - so now I don't know if I can return this grimefighter

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
me pasa lo mismo, y no puedo deinstalar el programa, ya que la computadora quedò inestable y se vuelve a reiniciar una y otra vez, volviendo a ejecutarse el grimefighter. Quisiera poder comunicarme con alguien que me diga como arreglar esto

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
me pasa lo mismo, y no puedo deinstalar el programa, ya que la computadora quedò inestable y se vuelve a reiniciar una y otra vez, volviendo a ejecutarse el grimefighter. Quisiera poder comunicarme con alguien que me diga como arreglar esto
Please post English here, else use the forum section for your language.
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
Danny,

run GrimeFighter again and undo the change it has made.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
You can revert the changes GrimeFighter made by going to "scan for performance issues" then "optimize my PC".  When it boots into GrimeFighter there is an option to revert changes back to the previous state.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
Really disappointed to read all the negative comments about grimefighter on this forum. Have recently purchased grimefighter for 3 machines and it shows as such in my avast account. However have been unable to find anyway to actuallly get it to load on my machine. Anyone tell me how to download it and after reading the comments here am I best not to download it all?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
@pauly

what version of Avast do you run?

You can go to Control Panel/Programs,features/Avast and choose Change. Make sure Grimefighter is checked in the "tools" (middle) column.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:20:23 PM »
I have purchased it, installed it but it won't work. I have windows 8.1, is that an issue.
It says it has found items, has the reboot button however when it reboots just get a black screen, waited for 5 hours, no change.
Only a hot reset gets the machine working again, rescan, same issues.

Any ideas, got Avast Pro Antivirus, everything up to date with avast and windows.

GB

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
Grimefighter works on 8.1 32 Bit as shown here:http://youtu.be/XZ8hmQgXY2M

I don't have any definitive answer/s to your specific issue,
I suggest you read some of the different topics/post as there are issues with Grimefighter.
Possibly, leave it longer.
If you're connecting by WIFI, there are some 'adapters' that are not supported by Grimefighter.

Word is, Avast is working on an update version of Grimefighter that hopefully will address the issues commonly posted in this Sub Forum. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
Just popped in to say - same endless reboot thing happened here (W7)! Only I didn't realize until now it was a specifical GrimeFighter problem, because it has been working for a week or so without any problems. The rebooting started literally overnight without me making any changes to any software, so it took me two days of trial and error rebooting to figure out that Avast was the problem and once uninstalled (everything) things went back to normal.

Is the GrimeFighter really that bad? I must say I'm a bit shocked, been using Avast free for years and on various computers and loved it, that's what convinced me to go for the GF. Who would've thought that the payed for product would be so much worse than the free one....
Anyway, are they working on improving the thing, should I stick it out and wait for them to fix the issues, or am I safer by asking for a refund?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:55:43 PM by vanglung »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
Hi vanglung
I have read that Avast is working on an Upgrade to Grimefighter release Feb-March.
Apparently this upgrade will deal with a number of the major reported issues to date.
Whether or not you should "stick it out" I can't say. This tool can definitely have a "significant" impact on the OS when run.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:01:34 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
Hi all,

Let me try to answer a few items raised here:

gckbarnes, it's possible that your version of GrimeFighter is useing UEFI to boot instead of BIOS.  UEFI is not supported but will be in our next release, end of this month.  We will distribute the build over about a 2 week period so you might not see it right away but it is definitely coming.

Pauly, if you go to Tools, then "scan for performance issues" you should be able to run GrimeFighter from there.  If GrimeFighter is not visible it means we detected that we could not support that PC (it's quite possibly related to the above point) so please look in Tools and if it's not there then please wait a few more weeks for the next release.

Danny, this sounds like an issue with us supporting your network card, you'll need to open a ticket and ask for a refund.  In the next release we will have improved detection of supported network cards.  That will also be rolled out slowly but should also improve things in the sense that we simply won't offer the product to users with unsupported cards. 

Additionally, the next release will include support for new network drivers so it's possible that this issue will be resolved.

Many thanks,

Davidek