Author Topic: GrimeFighter doesn't seem to work, and Avast support is unresponsive  (Read 11818 times)

REDACTED

Hey Avast, GrimeFighter will not run on my computer. I started a ticket to solve this problem two weeks ago. You said you'd respond within 48 hours, but so far you have ignored my two messages in the ticket. This is pretty poor customer service!

I've tried multiple times to run GrimeFighter, but each time it stalls at the screen that says "PC is Sedated. Checking with headquarters...wait a moment" (or something like that). What is wrong? If anyone on the forum has suggestions for fixing this problem, I welcome them, but I'd really like to hear from Avast as well, since I paid for their service and so far haven't gotten much for my money.

REDACTED

Re: GrimeFighter doesn't seem to work, and Avast support is unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:26:21 AM »
PS: I am not connecting to the Internet via wifi--I'm physically plugging in.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:00:01 AM »
having the same problem also - can't connect to the internet but like you I'm physically connected

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »
djpacha, same problem.  I don't get it -- never had a problem with Avast Antivirus.  This GrimeFighter issue is ridiculous.  To add insult to injury, it's almost laughable the way complaints and requests for help on this problem are treated in such a cavalier manner by the Avast supporters/fans.....like it's our fault GrimeFighter is not functioning properly.  All in all, this seems like a lost cause, as in lost $$.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=154831.msg1172746#msg1172746

djpacha,
you did get a automated response within 48 hours right?
you have ignored my two messages in the ticket.
Start counting from the last change.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
@Eddy, I got an immediate auto response that included the message "we will reply to you immediately when we are done with urgent cases, it should take no more than 48 hours." So no, I was not contacted within 48 hours, I've been absolutely ignored (except by you) for coming up on three weeks.

In the interest of helping other users I'll report what I'm seeing:

After starting Grime Fighter and viewing several cartoon screens of my computer being Sedated, GF hangs when "contacting headquarters ...". This happens if I am connected via wifi or ISDN. I have waited as long as an hour and nothing additional happens. No input or keys are accepted other than holding down the power button and turning it off.

I specifically wanted this program so I am disappointed that nothing seems to be doable except uninstalling Avast and getting McaFee or Kaspersky.  I had considered this already after noticing the shopping-pop up that Avast installed in my browser. I didn't ask for it, can't uninstall it, don't trust it. Exactly the kind of thing I pay to keep of my computer.

Thank you Eddy for taking a look at my request. I have a feeling that resolving this is beyond both our abilities. I'll check back, but I'll also be researching other anti-malware.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »
Same problem. Bought it to clean up my computer and it won't run. "Sedating your computer" then nothing. Put two tickets in but heard nothing. 'Phoned the 24/7 support line who connected remotely and said my computer was clogged up with too much stuff for "Grimefighter" to run. (That's why I bought it,.) However they could fix it for the bargain price of £129.00. What's that about $250.00? I declined and then he said he could do a one off for £79.00 or about $160.00. I declined again and am now wondering if I can get my "Grimefighter" money refunded?!!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »
@roryburriss

When did you submit your last ticket?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:37 AM »
GrimeFighter Crashed my PC. 
    [/size]
    All of my Desktop Folders Vanished.
    Notice of Counterfeit OS appeared on both of my monitors. 
    Screaming fast PC now acts like it has a 386 Processor. 
    4T External HD was connected to PC & the Same Folders w/ Critical Files were gone from there, too.  I had 1 weeks worth of work lost forever that were not yet backed up.   
    Checked OneDrive & Google Drive for lost folders/files & search yielded ZIP!  Ran Malwarebytes to see if I had a Trojan, worm or virus & did not.  Did a Restore Point & got 10% of my Folders/Icons back to the desktop, but this has crippled my business & I couldn't even find a link to Avast Support in order to open a ticket. 
    Why sell or promote (with pop-ups) software that doesn't work or is not checked out for 100% compatibility?

I have uninstalled Avast Premier & loaded MS Security Essentials.   5 Computers Registered with Avast Premier & the most important PC out of all of those 5 is now irreparably fubar'd!

Thanks Avast!

Windows 7 64-bit (Not Counterfeit!)
1T C-Drive (50% Used)
Lenovo PC <1 yr. old
Avast User for Over 5 Years!
Not Happy! >:(
[/list]

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 04:44:57 AM »
You can go to http://support.avast.com and "Submit a Support Ticket".
 If you want to request a refund please provide as much info as possible about your case(s) at form
 https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/27/&cls01&ptf01&lic01&scr06 - select Refund request on left side.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:23:06 AM »
Update: I finally got a response from Avast late last week. They said that the Grimefighter bug was fixed in the latest version, and that I should uninstall the old version and reinstall the new, and then run Grimefighter. I did as instructed, and it worked! It has just finished running, and I'm interested to see how much difference the lack of "grime" makes in my PC's performance.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 05:32:14 AM »
Bill,
run GrimeFighter again and tell it to undo the changes it made.
After that install the latest version of avast.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165749.0

djpacha,
you can come a long way with a little patience ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
@Eddy, agreed. But I think Avast would get more patient customers if they gave at least a little feedback to let the customer know that they had not been forgotten. Granted, when I finally got a response, the support person apologized for the delay and said that my message(s) had been lost in the pipeline. I understand that things like that can happen on occasion, and I hold no ill will against Avast. And I'm very glad the GrimeFighter works now--it did improve how my computer runs.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
Customer service is ridiculous

I raised a ticket on 20th January about Grimefighter not working.

I eventually got a reply on 27th
"We apologize for the inconvenience. Seems that avast! Grime Fighter is not compatible with your graphics card. We are continuously updating the compatibility list but in this time I can't tell when it will be done with your computer."

I then asked for a refund, to which they replied with the exact same message above !

I have asked a further 2 times for a refund on the same ticket with no response.

No chance in hell I will be renewing my subscription again

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »
Post your ticket-ID.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0