Author Topic: ZA and avast!  (Read 24918 times)

justin1278

Re: ZA and avast!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 02:42:47 AM »
if you use Kerio personal firewall you may want to change because it is being discontinued.

FastGame

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 03:02:06 AM »
if you use Kerio personal firewall you may want to change because it is being discontinued.
Not really, it'll still work as well as it does now. There just won't be any updates, of coarse I would suggest it not be bought.

Neron

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 08:01:37 AM »
Thank you friends!I will try it today and see what will happen ;)
Hope it's okay.Few days ago I installed ZA latest version with avast already installed.Think everything is OK.Only Web shield isn't working.Don't know why.Uninstalling ZA doesn't bring web shield back on.But on this PC everything will be fine I guess.
My strategy:
1.Install avast!
2.Install all my programs.
3.Install all windows updates.
4.Install ZA latest version.If there are any problems I will uninstall ZA and install 60631...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 12:05:47 PM »
Thank you friends!I will try it today and see what will happen ;)
Hope it's okay.Few days ago I installed ZA latest version with avast already installed.Think everything is OK.Only Web shield isn't working.Don't know why.Uninstalling ZA doesn't bring web shield back on.But on this PC everything will be fine I guess.
My strategy:
1.Install avast!
2.Install all my programs.
3.Install all windows updates.
4.Install ZA latest version.If there are any problems I will uninstall ZA and install 60631...

I would change that strategy and proceed like this:

1.) Install ZA latest version
2.) install avast!

3.) then install all Windows updates...
4.) and then install your programs...

Why ? Because many of your programs will require updates, and that means, connecting to to the internet. You don't wanna connect to the net without your firewall installed...

Especially, you said you're going to install all Windows updates... even if you are on high-speed internet connection, it will take you a while untill it's finished. All that time connected to the net without your firewall installed... I wouldn't do that... that's for sure...  ;)

Being discontinued doesn't mean firewall will not be any good any more... not at all. Kerio is one of the strongest/best firewalls out there, everyone knows that. It's just there will be no updates anymore. How often we see those firewall program updates anyway ? Once in a year... This firewall will do it's job, and it will do it best it can for a long time, believe me.

Anyway, such a great product can't stay in this phase forever... someone will do something regarding that product I am sure, maybe some other company will buy those copyrights or something. If nothing, I also believe it may go under GNU licence... who knows...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 12:12:48 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 01:42:18 PM »
My strategy will be:

0. Install Windows SP2  ;D
1. Install avast!
2. Install Zone Alarm.
3. Install all Windows Updates.
4. Install programs.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 02:30:26 PM »
Tech, see here (Neron's signature):

Celeron 633Mhz;256Mb RAM;40Gb HDD;Windows XP Pro SP2;Avast4.6;Ad-aware;Mozilla firefox;

He already has WinXP SP2, so I skipped that one...  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Neron

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 03:16:15 PM »
My strategy will be:

0. Install Windows SP2  ;D
1. Install avast!
2. Install Zone Alarm.
3. Install all Windows Updates.
4. Install programs.

1.) Install ZA latest version
2.) install avast!
3.) then install all Windows updates...
4.) and then install your programs...

Now I'm confused.Which strategy to follow ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 03:36:49 PM »
Trust me Neron, install Firewall first... that's the first line of defense, and of course immediatelly install antivirus program.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »
Trust me Neron, install Firewall first... that's the first line of defense, and of course immediatelly install antivirus program.  ;)
Trust me Noron  ;D, install the antivirus first... that will bring less incompatibility problems, of course, immediatelly install firewall program  ;)
Well, at last, won't be so different  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »
Why Microsoft didn't go with some temporary antivirus solution then, but they chose firewall ? Not quite effective, but it's there.

You need to have Firewall installed and then proceed with installing antivirus solution. That will cut the chance for incompatibility. Because once ZA is installed, you install avast! and it will recognize ZA immediatelly...

You remember that virus, whatever that used to count down until your Windows shuts down ? No antivirus would prevent it, unless you had firewall installed  ;)

Neron

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 05:17:22 PM »
I will not connect the computer to the internet without having antivirus program installed.The question is to install the firewall (without internet connection) and then avast or to install avast then ZA and connect to the Internet.
You're not helping me this way ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ???
And the pc will be protected even without ZA installed because of avast network shield and mainly because of windows firewall.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 05:34:24 PM »
And the pc will be protected even without ZA installed because of avast network shield and mainly because of windows firewall.

No, not at all... WebShield can not replace a good firewall and even Alwil will tell you that. That's just additional precaution, additional (very good btw) avast! feature. Windwos firewall will not protect you as you expect, it's just a half of a firewall.

Install your firewall by your choice, it doesn't have to be ZA. You chose whatever suits you best. It will take you just few minutes. Then install avast! and that's it... very simple. Do not visit any other web sites or browse the internet at all untill you are 100% protected, until those essential programs are up and running...  ;)

Cheers !

Neron

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »
I know very very very well what network shield is doing and what windows firewall is.On this PC(not the new one) I'm using windows firewall for months.No problems.Runs and protects perfect.If I stop it network shield begins showing attacks.I'm not using ZA because my parents don't know what to do when a message appears and don't want to deal with such things.Hope everything will be OK.
I think the antivirus program is the 1-st thing you should install.The firewall is just some extra protection(since I have Windows firewall)
But if you say so maybe I'll have to install ZA first.Just take a look here.
Neron, as far I've tested, not a problem with avast and ZA.
Maybe installing avast! before, booting... then ZA (I've installed with avast! enabled but some others said they disabled avast to install ZA).
Sygate and Outpost will be options. But, I won't give up on ZA that quick
He says he tested it this way and no problems.Very strange situation.Maybe the both ways there will be no problems but....just wanted to be sure.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 05:51:36 PM »
Well I am telling you do some searching on this matter and you'll see. Windows firewall is protection you just a half way. It has no outbound protection, just inbound. If any program is trying to send some information outside your computer it will send them without even asking you, and you will not be aware of any single thing that left your PC  ;)

I'm telling you, and you trust whoever you want. First of all, he installed it his way and he had no problems. That's fine and I do not wanna argue on this... I have some more important things to finish right now...

Second, I installed it the way I told you, and I didn't do that just on my PC, but on more than 100 PCs during the last year. No one ever complained, so I guess they are happy campers...  ;)

Again, you do whatever you want, but as I see, you asked, so we are just trying to help you... your pc, your choice...

Neron

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 05:52:48 PM »

Install your firewall by your choice, it doesn't have to be ZA. You chose whatever suits you best. It will take you just few minutes. Then install avast! and that's it... very simple. Do not visit any other web sites or browse the internet at all until you are 100% protected, until those essential programs are up and running...  ;)

Cheers !
I wanted to install ZA because i think it;s the easiest firewall to configure.Sygate was another alternative but now it is part of symantec.Don't know what to say ::)  .Kerio is very good but it's using mainly rules and i want application related firewall.Hard to configure.