Author Topic: ZA and avast!  (Read 24921 times)

Neron

Re: ZA and avast!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 05:58:05 PM »
Well I am telling you do some searching on this matter and you'll see. Windows firewall is protection you just a half way. It has no outbound protection, just inbound. If any program is trying to send some information outside your computer it will send them without even asking you, and you will not be aware of any single thing that left your PC  ;)

I'm telling you, and you trust whoever you want. First of all, he installed it his way and he had no problems. That's fine and I do not wanna argue on this... I have some more important things to finish right now...

Second, I installed it the way I told you, and I didn't do that just on my PC, but on more than 100 PCs during the last year. No one ever complained, so I guess they are happy campers...  ;)

Again, you do whatever you want, but as I see, you asked, so we are just trying to help you... your pc, your choice...
Ok thank you!Maybe you strategy(or even the both) are ok.About windows firewall-yes I do know it is protecting only the inbound traffic.But that's ok if you don't have Trojan horse virus or worm already installed.
And yes.I trust you.I trust tech too. ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2005, 05:58:48 PM »
The fact that Sygate is a part of the Symantec doesn't tell anything at all. Symantec is a great company and we all just have ugly experiences because of the Norton. So we all tend to speak bad things about Symantec without really having a good reason. Norton is bad product, Symantec is not that bad company.

I mean, in my work as a computer technician, there is no better tool for backing up your system's partitions, or cloning HD, than NORTON Ghost. There are many, but none of them works as good as Ghost. Also, another example. There is pcAnywhere, program for remote connections. You can fix someone else's PC even if he lives in Australia, of course if it's not some kind of hardware related malfunction... I do that every second day with my father's PC in Croatia. I connect from Canada and in just few seconds I am inside his computer like it's right is in front of me...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Neron

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 06:01:34 PM »
The fact that Sygate is a part of the Symantec doesn't tell anything at all. Symantec is a great company and we all just have ugly experiences because of the Norton. So we all tend to speak bad things about Symantec without really having a good reason. Norton is bad product, Symantec is not that bad company.

I mean, in my work as a computer technician, there is no better tool for backing up your system's partitions, or cloning HD, than NORTON Ghost. There are many, but none of them works as good as Ghost. Also, another example. There is pcAnywhere, program for remote connections. You can fix someone else's PC even if he lives in Australia, of course if it's not some kind of hardware related malfunction... I do that every second day with my father's PC in Croatia. I connect from Canada and in just few seconds I am inside his computer like it's right is in front of me...

Cheers !
Think you are right
I'm using vnc for this.Guess pcAnywhere is better.I don't know
If ZA fails sygate is alternative

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 06:32:49 PM »
Think you are right
I'm using vnc for this.Guess pcAnywhere is better.I don't know
If ZA fails sygate is alternative

It's not that pcAnywhere is better, but the fact that all our customers already have a pcAnywhere as a part of their package installed on their systems. So, because they already have pcAnywhere installed and host files preconfigured, it's easier for us to connect to their computers using pcAnywhere, than to ask them to install UltraVnc server on their computers.

I personally use both, and before I used to use WinVNC, but since the new version of UltraVNC came out I am more that happy... see attachment:

I have to say that UltraVNC is pretty much faster than pcAnywhere 11.0.1 and also file transfer works much better as well... I have them both installed on my dad's PC, so if sometimes something goes wrong with pcAnywhere, I always have a backup option... UltraVNC. More and more I'm strating to use UltraVNC more often than pcAnywhere.

Btw, did you know that there is a new version out there... unbelievable fast and some nice additional features... and all that totally free of charge. 100% freeware and it's distributed under GNU General Public licence... nice, very nice...

Link: http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

internetworld7

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 12:31:02 AM »
THIS REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION!

Unless you can show me something in print that says Kerio Personal Firewall is being discontinued I would higly recommend you all take another look at Kerio.com! What is being discontinued according to their website is Kerio Firewall Server. These are two different products and not the same. To assume that the personal firewall is being discontinued is only an assumption.

Now I might be the one who is wrong and correcting me is welcomed but I have seen nothing in writing that states Kerio Personal Firewall is being discontined or that the company is going out of business. If anybody has the 'specifics' please show me where I can look at it. Thanks. ;)

MFB

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 12:41:05 AM »
Exactly straight from the Kerio developers... they don't lie...  ;)

Hello all,

Kerio Technologies has grown into a significant player in both security and messaging markets. We have achieved many accolades, and we have many satisfied customers all over the world.

Kerio now employs over one hundred people in our three offices worldwide. We want to continue to deliver products that you enjoy to use. We made a promise to give our customers the best products in their category. And that means implementing some changes in our product strategy.

During the second half of this year, Kerio will be discontinuing two host-based security products from our portfolio – Kerio ServerFirewall and Kerio Personal Firewall.

Kerio Personal Firewall will be discontinued as of December 31, 2005. It will not be available for purchase after this date. Subscriptions will not be renewed. Technical support will be provided to all customers with valid subscriptions until the end of 2006.

Thank you for your support of Kerio.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 12:48:51 AM »
A google search for "Kerio Personal Firewall" is being discontinued returns hundreds of hits, take your pick.

However Turkey's link is direct from the horses mouth so to speak (Technical Support Manager) at the Kerio forums. So I guess its true.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

internetworld7

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2005, 01:14:59 AM »
Well, I'm not too interested in a lot of rumors posted at forums. I'd prefer to hear it from the horses mouth. When I go to www.kerio.com I don't see that at all. If you have a link from a Kerio representative or Technician that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2005, 01:23:09 AM »
OK here it goes:

Hello all,

Kerio Technologies has grown into a significant player in both security and messaging markets. We have achieved many accolades, and we have many satisfied customers all over the world.

Kerio now employs over one hundred people in our three offices worldwide. We want to continue to deliver products that you enjoy to use. We made a promise to give our customers the best products in their category. And that means implementing some changes in our product strategy.

During the second half of this year, Kerio will be discontinuing two host-based security products from our portfolio – Kerio ServerFirewall and Kerio Personal Firewall.

Kerio Personal Firewall will be discontinued as of December 31, 2005. It will not be available for purchase after this date. Subscriptions will not be renewed. Technical support will be provided to all customers with valid subscriptions until the end of 2006.

Thank you for your support of Kerio.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902

http://www.kerio.com/support.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:59:46 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

internetworld7

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2005, 02:02:53 AM »
Yes, I'm a bona fide sceptic ;D I just had to call that Kerio Firewall phone number to confirm that the Kerio Personal Firewall is being discontinued! And the lady that I spoke with in customer service did confirm that Kerio Personal Firewall is being discontinued. So I stand corrected and now I am satisfied because google searches and forums wasn't going to convince me at all. Too many rumors start at forums. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:04:48 AM by internetworld7 »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 02:05:41 AM »
Yes, exactly, but that number, actually the whole quote I gave you is from that forum that Turkey gave you link for... check it again and see the first post in that thread...

Cheers !

P.S. It's actually a good attribute to be cautious as you are...  ;D

GhosTT

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 03:17:36 AM »
AVAST and Zone Alarm.

For me works great!

scaa

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 02:38:42 PM »
I am using the latest from ZA and Avast. Both working fine with no problems whatsoever

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2005, 02:58:35 PM »
Well, I'm not too interested in a lot of rumors posted at forums. I'd prefer to hear it from the horses mouth. When I go to www.kerio.com I don't see that at all. If you have a link from a Kerio representative or Technician that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
A healthy dose of scepticism is good when listening to claims about new software products being the best thing since sliced bread, but ignoring the words of the Kerio Technical Support Manager written in the kerio forums.

They are obviously not going to paint it across their web site as I believe they are still selling it?
As you have now found it is correct.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security