Author Topic: Why does Avast! needs Google in order to operate?  (Read 2905 times)

REDACTED

Why does Avast! needs Google in order to operate?
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
Hello all!
Recently, I've bought a Honor 5x and immediately rooted it.I like customize my devices to obtain something that fits me.Since I consider Google's policies too "invasive" and I don't use any of their services except their email, I've removed/blocked every Google application(Including Google Play, Google services, etc.).

I would really like to install the complete Avast Mobile Security on my device, especially for its Avast! Anti-theft feature, but the latter does not work without Google Services.

Is there anything I can do fix this?
Why does Avast! Anti-theft depend on Google-Services(An app, which far from being "Secure" and "Privacy respecting)?

Thank everyone for the answers!
P.S.:I'm a medium-experience android user and a quick learner.A workaround to my issue would be highly appreciated. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Why does Avast! needs Google in order to operate?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »
avast needs to use certain API's from Google in order to provide certain functionalities/options.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
Since I consider Google's policies too "invasive" and I don't use any of their services except their email, I've removed/blocked every Google application(Including Google Play, Google services, etc.).
In that case you've to switch OS, as Android is developed by Google.
-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for your answers.
Android wasn't initially developed by Google and it can actually run without Google Products.Once the Google products have been removed and an alternative for each application has been found, you can turn your device in a true Google-free workhorse.
And trust me:It runs faster, smoother.The battery life is extended, the battery consumption is lowered.Your privacy is well protected but you can still do whatever you want and ever more.On the other side, as it happened in the case of Avast!Anti-thieft ,some applications simply requires the implementation of certain google components(It doesn't make any sense to me but I can't do anything about it).Thank you anyway for your time and explanations.

P.S.:If you running Android on your device, I suggest you to do a little experiment.
Download install the following apps.Try to use them instead of its google counterpart:
1Mobile Market:Alternative to Google play.It has the very same apps and even more.You can download it via your browser.
Snaptube:Alternative to YouTube.You watch, download and convert videos from Youtube and many other sites.
Emai:This application is native to Android and I use it as an alternative to Gmail.An there are plenty other email clients.
Social Apps:Facebook, Whatsapp, messenger, viber,skype.They need no alternative nor need Google to be 100% operative.
Other(Might be interesting):Advance permission manager(To define you applications' permission)

Try to use the apps mentioned above for 1 week by purposely avoiding the use of Google's apps.You will realize the the latter are completely or almost completely useless, that they are "eating" you RAM and battery's power.And I won't even talk about the privacy matter.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 07:01:45 AM »
Thanks everyone for your answers.
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0