Author Topic: Fearing forced update and some other questions.  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Fearing forced update and some other questions.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
I am with schmidthouse and bob3160 on this one. Why don't update to the latest version of any antivirus when it says that an update is available and the user clicks some other options such as "No" or "Ask me later" or etc? Updates include the latest bug fixes, fixes issues, and most importantly improves the overall program and it's protection. I have my avast set on "Ask when an update is available" so when it notifies me that an update is available I save my work that I am doing and I immediately update it. The way I see it personally and it's my own opinion is that if avast users doesn't upgrade to the latest version for a long time/months it should be forced update to the latest version. We have our own personal data and stuffs that needs to be kept private and we certainly don't want it to go to the wrong hands by hackers and our computer compromised with malware.

DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

Re: Fearing forced update and some other questions.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Setting program updates to manual and having the latest build of any major version should be safe enough. I cannot promise that you will never get migrated but so far we have been consistent in this regard.
I was hoping this was true but it does not appear to be.......this happens every so often to folks......and frankly not sure why...it did to me months ago on two PCs out of six at home that all six were running "latest build major release (9.0.2021)".
Luckily one machine was OK and now using as "test" machine for 2015.....the other because it installed NG was almost un-usable.....and for some reason hosed my internet connection (on all PCs) across the house/router.  Once I uninstalled and put 2014 back on everything was fine.

I don't disagree with the "philosophy" of what folks are saying but the issue/concern is the "state" of the new (call it Fall release) Avast software.  Just look at the 2015 and 2014.......both "Fall" releases were very buggy and some of the impact on users was not good......yes, many/most were fine but how do the few feel that machines were totally borked. So, the real question becomes "when" & "how".....not if.....that is fine.  To this regard, everyone will agree here that a CLEAN un-re-install is always better than and over-the-top.  Also, if the user has no idea when this is going to happen there is sometimes no recourse for correction if something goes wrong.  So personally I'm looking for some middle ground here........basically I'm asking for notice. Avast says they "officially" support some of the older versions.....if that is true then they should honor the "Manual" or "Ask" selection and not "force" the upgrade for those.  If (when) Avast is going to force then notify us those versions are no longer supported.  Bottom line, give us some communication other than waking up one morning and seeing our PCs have rebooted with new program version of Avast and having "hoped" all went OK.  I can think of several ways to communicate this to people....popup notification, stopping VBS updates on old versions (yes this can be done since Avast DOES know what version you are running), release notes in the new version.......something/ANYTHING that allows me to manage my conversion.  I don't think it is too much to ask to formalize the process to notify the users of a hard cut-over deadline.

Bottom line is there is big difference in bleeding edge versus leading edge....but that definition as we talk about Avast & A/V is in the eye of the beholder.......so we aren't going agree.....which is OK.  Like you guys, I applaud Avast for pushing the envelope and especially allow all the Custom Install options.......but just give us users notice on the "forced installs". Whether all of us argue that a user should or shouldn't be on the latest/greatest just provide the information/notice that could allow something that "could" negatively impact a person's PC to be managed...not forced.  If I'm given the notice and ignore then shame on me.

Anyway, my two cents.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:46:56 PM by thekochs »