Author Topic: What did your software just try to do on my computer?  (Read 2371 times)

REDACTED

What did your software just try to do on my computer?
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »
I was dealing with some emails when I noticed my cursor started lagging across the screen, so naturally I opened the control panel, and avast was using 100% CPU! Later, in roughly several minute interviews it decreased to 75%, 50%, 25% and then finally its normal CPU usage which is close to 0 for my processor. I'm guessing from the pattern that this is some kind of built-in diagnostic feature, but I am busy, and on top of that this computer had a problem with its GPU not long ago where I had to replace it at great expense, so I really do not appreciate having obscure features like this giving me a heart attack. Can you explain what exactly the program was doing?

REDACTED

Re: What did your software just try to do on my computer?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »
It's an anti virus scanner... it scans your files... probably ran into a large file

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
Well, I suppose that explains it but I have no idea what would warrant using up one hundred percent CPU.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
Unless it's continuously bogging you down I wouldn't worry about it.  Once in a great while is fairly normal.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »
AvastSvc.exe usually takes many CPU resources during virus database updates (after restart or hybernate).
But I never noticed problems with the mouse during this process.