Author Topic: Adblock Plus being paid to let certain ads through - Google, MS, Amazon!  (Read 22887 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Adblock Plus being paid to let certain ads through - Google, MS, Amazon!
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »
Adblock being paid is very old news. You are quite late to this party.

Still, its relatively easy to create custom rules in adblock, just find the offending element and block it globally.

Yes, as I mentioned way back in Reply #3 and you aren't forced to comply.
Quote from: DavidR
This isn't something that has just happened - it has certainly allowed ads from some (big) companies for some considerable time and they haven't hid it.

Some time ago I think it used to mention it and say if you the user choose to block these that is your choice and it would be honoured.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »
Hi Asyn,

Here you can see it for yourself and in your native tongue. They are asking 5 dollar to develop further an extension that functions as man in the middle between big companies and ads to unblock, not because ads are designed to be non-intrusive, not because ads would be additional to real value content. And also not because ads are known to be non-malvertised by malcreants. Look where it says""Gefällt Ihnen dieses Add-on? - Einen Beitrag Leisten?" see: https://www.uploady.com/download/6jP1LOYAnDa/a5uQliUrdHSO2YUv

Damian
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:11:17 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 06:10:04 AM »
Ah ok, that's what you meant. Thanks Damian. :)
Btw, ABP is not alone asking for a donation, e.g. NoScript asks for 15$. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »
Hi Asyn,

Understand this fully, and normally I would not mention this, but NoScript is not a man in the middle tool getting money for circumventing some actions it should do.
About what ads you see (important to see what surveillance advertising is being served up) see floodwatch, this extension: chrome-extension://lnnmlfhgefcbnolklnepapefmmobedld/disclaimer.html

Damian

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
In addition to uBlock, I have added uMatrix to Chrome. It is recommended to remove the Malware Domain list since they already exist in uMatrix. The only problem I have had is using uMatrix with Facebook. A script is blocked by default which causes problems. Once allowed, all seems ok. Will be back with more.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »
Hi Charyb,

uMatrix is a spinn-off of HTTP-Switchboard extension. HTTP-Switchboard is in the line of having an extension for Google Chrome like No-Script is for firefox.

polonus