Author Topic: VBoxAsw Support Driver error message in event viewer  (Read 18687 times)

REDACTED

VBoxAsw Support Driver error message in event viewer
« on: December 30, 2014, 03:21:51 AM »
ok now that I can finally access the forums  this is why since the update to 2015 I find the following error message in my event viewer upon starting my pc

The VBoxAsw Support Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

event id 7000 service control management

checking google it seems this is a component of avast.  I have done repair and uninstalled and reinstalled 2015 free version.  if someone could tell me how to stop this message would appreciate it.

thank you

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: VBoxAsw Support Driver error message in event viewer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:47 AM »
Does your system hardware virtualization?
What os/sp?
What exact version of avast?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
no idea about the virtualization I have windows 8.1 regular  and avast is version 2015.10.0.2208.  I looked but did not find the folder ng in my avast folder that this points to.  and I also looked to see if I could remove the ng from avast itself but it is not listed as a item to install or remove.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
I may have your answer lauriej. I encountered the same problem with Win7 using Avast. After many hours of searching I have learned..... Aswdrv which is a driver that Avast tries to use to protect the virtual machines (XP/Vista) associated with windows 7/8. If the Virtual machine is not activated inside BIOS or does not have that feature or software then when Avast goes to install its driver associated with that activity., windows cannot find an association then windows returns an error. It is not a big deal unless you want to run a virtual machine such as XP or Vista inside say Win7 or 8. It would be good if Avast programmers fixed this, but I would assume it is not high danger priority to them, as it is to the one who sees the 'error' message.  I don't know any thing about programming however, it does not hurt anything for the useless driver to be loaded into registry and windows report it as an error.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:07:24 PM by blackkcalb »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
Hello,

I get the exact same message in my Event Log. When I saw it the first time, I found this thread and did a clean uninstall of Avast (with reboot) and during the next install I unchecked "NG" but even after doing that I still get this message.
I found a Service related to this and tried to deactivate it but it won't let me. After that I checked the path described in the description of the Service and since I didn't tick on "NG" during the installation, the folder of course does not exist.

My system isn't used in any way for Virtualization (I don't have any VMs) and thus I think I don't need the "NG" thingy even though my CPU (i5-4590) seems to support it.
Other system specs:
Win7 64-bit SP1
Avast version: 2015.10.0.2208

Any help to solve this / get rid of the message is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:58:50 PM by CorisXIV »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:40 PM »
Event viewer logs are to all intents and purposes a minefield.  The information supplied there is for deep analysis only during programme debugging etc.. I had over 50,000 entries in mine and I never use them, just periodically delete them 

The main thing is :  Does the system function properly, if so then there is no need to go there

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »
I changed some parts (the CPU for example) and made a fresh OS install. I did have some problems and checked the log because of them and then I saw that particular entry at each startup.

And yes, it does function properly now, but I do find this message irritating since I clearly unchecked the NG stuff :/