Author Topic: AVAST 6.0.1474 Virus definition update problem.  (Read 12907 times)

REDACTED

AVAST 6.0.1474 Virus definition update problem.
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »
Hi,

All of a sudden I began to receive an error "Not enough storage is available to process this command."
That's really strange since I neither lack the empty space on the hard drive where AVAST is installed, not where TEMP folder it (the same drive). I also have enough RAM and what is more if I observe the memory utilization while AVAST is downloading and installing the updates it is not even close to its max. value (all this info can be found in the log).

Last successful update was done 04.01.2015, I can see from the log (attached) that lots of dlls were updated. And  I am getting the aforementioned error since then. Unfortunately I dont keep backups for longer that 15 days, they are deleted automatically, therefore I cannot roll back the last AVAST update (when the libraries were updated). I tried to restore the AVAST installation to an earlier date (just a few day back) and I got the same error message but for a different file vpx.

I am attaching the latest log in hope that someone will come up with some sort of solution. I would like to avoid full reinstallation of AVAST and I would like to keep my v.6 since I am bound to Win XP on this particular computer, the newer versions of AVAST are too resource consuming to my taste.

Thanks for you time!

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: AVAST 6.0.1474 Virus definition update problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »
According to your logs all I know is that you are running Windows OS is XP Service Pack 2 other than that I have no clue because I am not a very expert in computer logs and etc. Latest version of the service pack for windows xp is Service Pack 3. Install Service Pack 3 and see if helps or not.

As for your very outdated version goes for your Avast 6.0.1474 and you mentioned that your last successful update was done 04/01/2015. As for as I can tell that Avast is really close to stop support for older version of Avast ( I may be wrong) there's also many other using Avast versions 7,8, and 9. Very soon Avast will stop supporting older versions of Avast.

I won't stop you using Avast 6, because there's other users who don't want to upgrade to the latest version of Avast and it's their choice. Feel free to take this to Avast support and submit a ticket, because I don't think other users like us won't be much help and there's other users that are very experienced that they will try their best to help you. Avast also do read posts but you will have to wait for their reply. When you submit a ticket wait for around 1-2 weeks and don't reply or make modifications to your ticket as it will go back to the waiting list. Tickets are handled on a first come first serve basis.

By the way, did you try doing a repair of avast via add/remove. Try that? Other than that I won't be much of help. All I can suggest you is to upgrade to the latest version of avast and upgrade to Service Pack 3.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
disk free space?

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »
According to your logs all I know is that you are running Windows OS is XP Service Pack 2 other than that I have no clue because I am not a very expert in computer logs and etc. Latest version of the service pack for windows xp is Service Pack 3. Install Service Pack 3 and see if helps or not.

By the way, did you try doing a repair of avast via add/remove. Try that? Other than that I won't be much of help. All I can suggest you is to upgrade to the latest version of avast and upgrade to Service Pack 3.

Thanks for the answer. Honestly speaking  I don't see any logical reason why installation of SP3 all of a sudden should help. And no I did not try to add/remove/repair because again I just don't see how it can be justified in this situation, I simply don't want to start messing with it without checking more obvious things first.

Very soon Avast will stop supporting older versions of Avast.

That's totally understandable and fair. Many software vendors just support "one version back" while AVAST supports  at least 2 or even 3. When it happens I will just accept it and  upgrade my copy of AVAST or start using a different product (although I do like AVAST)

But one thing is clear - if AVAST decides to drop the support of v.6  (the virus definitions cannot be  updated etc) it should be done properly, the user must get a clear and unambiguous message stating that this version of  AVAST is not supported anymore. Then both the user and AVAST will stop wasting time, the user - on trying to figure out what is going on with his copy of AVAST that just stopped working, AVAST - on responding to the users' requests about the aforementioned issue.

All I can suggest you is to upgrade to the latest version of avast and upgrade to Service Pack 3.
Thank you anyway. I should start from opening a ticket with AVAST first.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
disk free space?

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

The drive where AVAST and TEMP folder are located has 13155M (mentioned in the log) of free space - should be enough, I guess.

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »
ok, one more guess - you ran out of memory when trying to merge too many incremental files of VPS. It is not directly related to the total amount of RAM but you can try to download VPS update manually: https://www.avast.com/download-update

BTW: 1474 is latest v7 not 6. If you see GUI as 6.0.1474, something is already wrong and repair (or rather upgrade at least to v9) is justified.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »
avast version 2014 is working fine on XP (with SP3) systems.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:46 PM »
ok, one more guess - you ran out of memory when trying to merge too many incremental files of VPS. It is not directly related to the total amount of RAM but you can try to download VPS update manually: https://www.avast.com/download-update

BTW: 1474 is latest v7 not 6. If you see GUI as 6.0.1474, something is already wrong and repair (or rather upgrade at least to v9) is justified.

Thanks it's good to know (about the manual update).  And no, I did not run out of memory.

UPDATE: it seems today the problem has fixed itself after getting the last virus definition update, I think it is safe to say now - AVAST thanks for your attention to this problem affecting v.6 users,  looks like "something is already wrong" has been fixed ;)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 12:11:18 AM »

Thanks for the answer. Honestly speaking  I don't see any logical reason why installation of SP3 all of a sudden should help. And no I did not try to add/remove/repair because again I just don't see how it can be justified in this situation, I simply don't want to start messing with it without checking more obvious things first.

Very soon Avast will stop supporting older versions of Avast.

That's totally understandable and fair. Many software vendors just support "one version back" while AVAST supports  at least 2 or even 3. When it happens I will just accept it and  upgrade my copy of AVAST or start using a different product (although I do like AVAST)

But one thing is clear - if AVAST decides to drop the support of v.6  (the virus definitions cannot be  updated etc) it should be done properly, the user must get a clear and unambiguous message stating that this version of  AVAST is not supported anymore. Then both the user and AVAST will stop wasting time, the user - on trying to figure out what is going on with his copy of AVAST that just stopped working, AVAST - on responding to the users' requests about the aforementioned issue.

All I can suggest you is to upgrade to the latest version of avast and upgrade to Service Pack 3.
Thank you anyway. I should start from opening a ticket with AVAST first.

Your welcome and thanks for understanding. Just like Eddy said you should upgrade to Avast 2014. It runs fine on XP (with SP3) systems. Old version of avast can be downloaded and installed from here http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

If your XP is 64-bit download it from this section http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?system=Windows_XP_x64
If your XP is 32-bit download it from this section http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?system=Windows_XP

Make sure you install Avast Free Edition 2014 9.0.2021.515. Before you install Avast 2014. Uninstall your current version of avast via add/remove and follow the instructions. After that download avast uninstall utility and run it in safe mode. After that install the Avast 2014 and when it gets installed it will do a quick start up scan. Once that has been done restart your computer manually and register. After that open up Avast GUI and go to settings and go to the update tab and under program section click on settings and click on "Manual Update". Do this ONLY if you don't want to upgrade to Avast 2015.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:24:11 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
Just like Eddy said you should upgrade to Avast 2014. It runs fine on XP (with SP3) systems. Old version of avast can be downloaded and installed from here http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Thanks for the detailed info. I have one last question though: when you say that support of v.6 will be dropped does that mean that v.6 users will not be able to update their virus definitions?

Why am I asking this? Because if v.6 still can get new virus definitions then I will stay with it no matter what Eddy says (no disrespect meant), because this is the only thing I am interested in:
a) I understand the v.6 is old and may lack new non-critical features - I am not concerned since I use only 2 shields (just as an additional insurance) and mainly use my copy of AVAST for manual scanning of the files that I bring on this computer.
b) I understand the v.6 is old and may lack new critical features - for example the support of new packets, updated behavior analyzer, etc, etc. Well, it's nice thing to have them  but nothing new (the software) is going to be installed on this particular computer, web browsing is done on a different computer, no IM, P2P etc was ever installed here and never be. The system itself was installed 7 years ago and still runs as it was done yesterday (over those years the size of system drive grew by 5% only). That is why I immediately refused (I hope it sounded very polite) to install the service pack, add some more memory, a new disk, reinstall/repair something etc after one of my applications, working for years, stopped working for after the last update. The common sense just tells me that it isn't a case. And when drake127 mentioned the version, it took me just a few minutes to figure out what actually happened (because I had kept the logs and the multiple snapshots of the install. directory).

AVAST is the only antivirus software I run on this computer, over the years of its use and observation I developed a certain level  of trust towards in software.
So, at the moment I just need the AVAST's ability to scan a file on my request  for known signatures using the latest vir. definitions and that's it. Therefore, if  v.6 still will be able to work with the latest signatures then what is the point for me to upgrade if I am not going to use all that new (and no doubts very useful, in general) functionality?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 02:42:57 AM »
When support is dropped, it also means no more vps updates.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 02:56:01 AM »
When support is dropped, it also means no more vps updates.

That explains everything, thanks.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:03 AM »
TBall that's why I and other users who tells users with older version of avast to upgrade to the latest version of Avast 2015 is that their older version of avast is causing problems such as the vps not being/not getting updated and etc. The very latest version of Avast provides and gives most protection and it improves quality and performance of the antivirus.

When you said this "what is the point for me to upgrade if I am not going to use all that new (and no doubts very useful, in general) functionality?" You don't have to install every single feature especially new features of avast when it gets upgraded to a new version. You have the power to choose which function/feature you want or don't want. Prior to installation avast gives you the option for a "custom" installation. For me I use it in my laptop and I always choose custom installation these are a follows file shield, web shield, software updater, and home network security. It all depends upon the customer needs and what they do on their laptop or computer such as games, use E-mail client i.e. Outlook express, Windows Mail, and etc.

When you upgrade to Avast 2015 if you don't understand a feature or trying to get used to where to search things for we will certainly help you out and yes it does take some time to get used to the new GUI of Avast 2015.

You may even experience this same problem occuring from time to time and it's a old version and Avast will definitely drop support at some stage. I don't know when. I have been using Avast since the 1st release of Avast 7 and still continuing to using it. I have 100% trust and confidence for Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
Instead of updating, I recommend a fresh installation.
I suggest you install SP3 first since it fixes a lot security flaws.
I also suggest to wait 2(?) weeks since a new version of avast is about to be released that fixes several issues the current version has.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
@TBall: I highly recommend you to do what Eddy mentioned. Better be safe then sorry and do right the first time. Since Avast Team will be releasing a new version of avast in around 2 weeks (give or take) it will be beta version and from there they will be releasing the final version. When you have installed SP3 take note of this:

"When avast team releases a new version of avast. Uninstall your current avast version 6 via add/remove and follow the instructions. Download the avast uninstall utility and run that tool in safe mode. After that download the new version of Avast 2015 that will be coming out very soon. Prior to the 2015 installation you will be given an option to do a "Custom installation". Select custom installation so you can choose which feature you want to install and what not to install and after that follow the instructions. After it has been installed avast will do a quick startup scan and after it has been scanned restart your computer manually again and register your copy of avast 2015".

Note: Prior to installation you will be offered some optional program such as Dropbox and such. Make sure you uncheck them.

More info about Avast 2015 can be found here about what features it has and what has been improved and etc https://www.avast.com/en-nz/faq.php?article=AVKB89#idt_01
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:01:06 PM by Staticguy »