Author Topic: AVAST 6.0.1474 Virus definition update problem.  (Read 12897 times)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: AVAST 6.0.1474 Virus definition update problem.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:44 PM »
Here is the 1st beta version of the new Avast 2015 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165749.0. If you are a computer expert, you can try test it, but beware this is not the final version and installing this program in your computer may cause issues and problems. If not, just wait for the final version to be released. Final version of this software will come out in the coming months depending how much bugs are discovered Beta 1>Beta 2>Beta 3> etc beta (if required) then comes RC1 (Release Candidate 1)>RC2> RC3> etc RC (if required)> Final version. When the final version comes out, do the steps that I mentioned in my previous post.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:50:33 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 06:55:24 AM »
Hello,

Here I am again with the same error  "Error:Not enough storage is available to process this command."   

This time the situation is clear since I have done my homework last time (a month ago). If  somebody from AVAST is reading this message, please fix the updater (again). When AVAST v.6 requests for updates it it receives v.7 libraries (aswCmbBS.dll etc) and that screws up installing  further definition updates - the screenshot is attached.
Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
Why should avast "fix" a obsolete version ?
Take the step to this century.
- Install SP3 (and at least all security updates released after that).
- Install the latest version of avast (2015.10.2.2214)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »
Hello,

Here I am again with the same error  "Error:Not enough storage is available to process this command."   

This time the situation is clear since I have done my homework last time (a month ago). If  somebody from AVAST is reading this message, please fix the updater (again). When AVAST v.6 requests for updates it it receives v.7 libraries (aswCmbBS.dll etc) and that screws up installing  further definition updates - the screenshot is attached.
Thanks.

We all thought you followed our resolution and steps! Follow Eddy's steps. After you install SP3 and all security updates. Uninstall your current avast via add/remove and follow the instruction. Run the avast uninstall utility in safe mode. Install a fresh copy of avast. Once installed it will do a quick start up scan and after that restart your computer manually. After restart, register your copy of avast.

Registration is free and once every year registration must be renewed.

Today avast released a new version of avast 2015 via here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167184.0

Note: The new avast version is Avast Antivirus 2015 R2 (2015.10.2.2214). When you install this new version you will get (2015.10.0.2214). Don't worry about this, because it's a bug on the server side. You don't need to do anything on your side. Avast will sort it out.

UPDATE: The version number bug has been solved now. You can simply download a fresh new copy of Avast after you have done the removal process of your old version of avast.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:46:51 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 11:56:43 PM »
AVAST thanks for fixing the problem,  looks like after aswCmnBS.dll v.7.00.0000.0069 was replaced by  v.7.00.0000.0072 the famous misleading  error message "Error:Not enough storage is available to process this command." is not shown anymore and AVAST v.6 can receive the updates as usual.

We all thought you followed our resolution and steps! Follow Eddy's steps.

Unfortunately you thought wrong, neither I updated nor I will, the reason of not doing that have been already stated in the topic so let me save time for all of us and not go through them again.

Have a good day!

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
It's all in your discretion. Your computer and data and your choice of avast program version. Just bear in mind at some stage Avast will discontinue support for all old version of avast antivirus and you have to force upgrade it to the latest version.

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:11:47 PM by Staticguy »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
Just bear in mind at some stage Avast will discontinue support for all old version of avast antivirus and you have to force upgrade it to the latest version.

yes, of course this time will come. But so far, in this topic we were talking about simple programming errors, i.e. bugs (which is not really a big deal since I don't know any existing software completely free of bugs). I am really glad that they were fixed  as soon as  they had been reported on.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »
The problem is back, the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command" has returned with the last update. That is getting really annoying...

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »
Hi TBall just a word of advice. Like we said earlier either you change your antivirus software like AVG or you upgrade Avast to the latest version (by following the steps mentioned in previous message). Before you do either one of those first off upgrade your Windows Service Pack to SP3.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 01:40:40 AM »
The problem is back, the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command" has returned with the last update. That is getting really annoying...

The last update of what - presumably virus definitions - even if you do what was suggested by drake127 in Reply #5, I think you are likely to bump into this at some point in the future.

The reason I say that is I don't think that there has been a fix in your program version. Even if they did for some reason fix something in an older program version, how would they distribute it. It can't be distributed through normal program updates as that is tied to look for the latest program version.

To the same degree, it couldn't be done in the virus definitions and engines auto update, nor could it use the emergency update feature (I don't think that was available in your version). The problem is that all of these update functions are greaed up to deliver updates/fixes for the current program version.

I'm using the latest avast 2015.10.2.2214 version on this XP Pro system (see my signature under my post) and I don't have any resources issues such as you mention.

The other issue that hasn't raised it head, for those that are using old/outdated versions of avast, those trying to help in the forums will have long since stopped using it, so they lose the expertise in older versions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 01:48:37 AM »
Just like Eddy said you should upgrade to Avast 2014. It runs fine on XP (with SP3) systems. Old version of avast can be downloaded and installed from here http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Thanks for the detailed info. I have one last question though: when you say that support of v.6 will be dropped does that mean that v.6 users will not be able to update their virus definitions?

Why am I asking this? Because if v.6 still can get new virus definitions then I will stay with it no matter what Eddy says (no disrespect meant), because this is the only thing I am interested in:
a) I understand the v.6 is old and may lack new non-critical features - I am not concerned since I use only 2 shields (just as an additional insurance) and mainly use my copy of AVAST for manual scanning of the files that I bring on this computer.
b) I understand the v.6 is old and may lack new critical features - for example the support of new packets, updated behavior analyzer, etc, etc. Well, it's nice thing to have them  but nothing new (the software) is going to be installed on this particular computer, web browsing is done on a different computer, no IM, P2P etc was ever installed here and never be. The system itself was installed 7 years ago and still runs as it was done yesterday (over those years the size of system drive grew by 5% only). That is why I immediately refused (I hope it sounded very polite) to install the service pack, add some more memory, a new disk, reinstall/repair something etc after one of my applications, working for years, stopped working for after the last update. The common sense just tells me that it isn't a case. And when drake127 mentioned the version, it took me just a few minutes to figure out what actually happened (because I had kept the logs and the multiple snapshots of the install. directory).

AVAST is the only antivirus software I run on this computer, over the years of its use and observation I developed a certain level  of trust towards in software.
So, at the moment I just need the AVAST's ability to scan a file on my request  for known signatures using the latest vir. definitions and that's it. Therefore, if  v.6 still will be able to work with the latest signatures then what is the point for me to upgrade if I am not going to use all that new (and no doubts very useful, in general) functionality?

What is interesting is that I had your same version of Avast sometime last summer on one of my machines and even though I had Avast set to not upgrade (as I always do on all my computers) the application it did get upgraded to Avast2014.  When I asked about this on this forum I was told way back then that Avast had stopped supporting older versions like this which is why the upgrade was forced  upon me.

So what is interesting is that your still using your version of Avast that was the same as mine at that time.  The only difference is that the computer that Avast forced the upgrade on was using Window 7 and your using Windows XP, so perhaps that difference is why you have been able to continue to use your Avast version this long.  Btw, by sticking with Avast 6 your missed a well designed Avast 7 in regards to the GUI which was frankly my favorite interface for a very long time.  More current versions past Avast 7 started incorporating a lot of what the shields had been doing directly into the application hence narrowing down the large number of optional shields that were used in earlier versions (based on what you've said it would appear this is of no importance to you anyway).  I would add that I never was forced by Avast to upgrade from Avast 7 on my computers using XP, but did so on my own out of curiosity regarding a later Avast version, so perhaps users on Window XP are not forced to upgrade nearly as much or soon as more recent OS's.

I would add that I totally understand your desire to avoid bloat and not want to upgrade to SP3 for you XP machine, but it is my understanding that a lot of things will either fail to work or not work well without installing SP3.  It may be that you would need to decide whether to upgrade Avast or upgrade XP by installing SP3.

If you choose to upgrade Avast and are reluctant to install the current version, I have found Avast2014.0.0.2021 to be very stable.  Many on this board will suggest this is not a good idea, and of course to a large extent they would be correct.  But of course there are always unique situations that represent an exception to the rule and after reading how you use your computer I personally see no problem in your case deciding to go with a more stable version of Avast if that's your decision.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:57:45 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.