Author Topic: Did it work?  (Read 5131 times)

REDACTED

Did it work?
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:07:22 AM »
Hi
After executing Grimefighter I performed the analysis again and got the same story.
5 applications that I don't need
10 config system
3GB of garbage.

So..... What happened? Did it work?

This is all about trust in AVAST!!! I hope that you realize that our computers are in your hands,connected to the net.
Can you convince me that it worked? and remove from my head the doubt of what was doing the application during 2hs having access to my personal computer/data.

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Did it work?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:22 AM »
Personally I'm not a fan of these type of tools - but first surely the GrimeFighter is doing a scan to find areas that could help your system.

I can't tell if it worked or not, I though that after the analysis you had to have it proceed with the cleanup - did you do that.

See https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB120 Avast GrimeFighter: Frequently Asked Questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, I executed the tool in Grimefighter mode and after reading the results, re start Windows. Then, being curious I re ran the scan and Grimefighter performing issues analysys result is the same, as if I never execute Grimefighter.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
My experience is the same

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, I executed the tool in Grimefighter mode and after reading the results, re start Windows. Then, being curious I re ran the scan and Grimefighter performing issues analysys result is the same, as if I never execute Grimefighter.

I can only suggest looking in the F.A.Q. link that I gave as I don't have any personal experience with GrimeFighter (GF).

I do know that there is only limited functionality in the free version, but that should still be able to remove that content if you elect to clean it. This could possibly mean that the recurrent items aren't covered by the free GF version.

Have you got the paid version of GF ?

Edit - extract from f.a.q. (so worth looking):
Can I view details of what Avast GrimeFighter will optimize?

Upon the completion of an Avast GrimeFighter scan, you will be provided with an option to review and modify any of the recommended changes before performing the final system cleanup. This will take you to a list of all the unnecessary and sometimes malicious files which are slowing down your computer, and here you can also easily set which action you want to apply for each item, one by one.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:25:45 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
Hi Herman and Martin,

Can you please mention what version of Avast you are running and what OS?  You can find the Avast version by opening the program, going to Settings, and then About Avast then program version.

Thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 03:41:25 AM »
Thank you Davideck for your answer and sorry for not responding earlier!!!

The Avast version is as follows:
Avast Internet Security

About OS I don't know how can I tell?
Am I right saying 32-bit? That's what I found at System information

Kind regards!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:25 AM »
Thank you Davideck for your answer and sorry for not responding earlier!!!
<snip>
About OS I don't know how can I tell?
Am I right saying 32-bit? That's what I found at System information

OS + Operating System, which includes this information - Windows 7, SP1, 32bit.
e.g. what version of windows, its SP (Service Pack) number, it includes (as you put) if the OS is 32bit or 64bit.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
Hi Martin7,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  It is a bug we are aware of.  A fix won't make it into the release planned for tomorrow but will be included in a update that should go out in the next couple of weeks.

It's basically a flaw in the grime detection logic that needs updating/testing.

Hope this helps,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:25 AM »
Will be there a notification once the fix is in place?
Thanks for your clarification

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:42:50 AM »
Just install the latest version and see if it is fixed or not:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166883.0