Author Topic: 2 Questions (Date Tags & Headers)  (Read 6776 times)

brokenpcs

2 Questions (Date Tags & Headers)
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:49:50 AM »
I've looked in the archives but didn't see anything that may help. Don't know if there's a problem or not. Avast seems to be working quite well so far. Well I haven't had any viruses or that.  ;)

My question is about the date tags. I've seen others with the tags at the end of their posts. So I checked and have the outbound clean tag checked. However when I post into yahoo forums (where I've seen others with the tags), my post doesn't have that tag at the end. I have several email accounts and non seem to send them. I've even emailed myself to see. Nope! Do some email account just don't work with the tags? All my accounts well except gmail (and I know the link to make that work), is avast support. The icon does turn!

Another question is that I have notice is in my headers there isn't anything that has avast in it. So I am wondering if there is something missing when I downloaded. Or if I need to worry about that. I do have Outlook Express. Win XP Home SP1 (right now). All of Norton / Symantic files are totally out which was my problem before.

I guess I'm back at the drawing board again, just trying to figure if avast is working just find and don't have to worry about these tags or headers. Don't a full scan and no viruses. So I know my puter is clean. No spyware too! And no symantic  ;D

If somebody could enlighten me or if we could fix this problem that may be just minor I would appreciate any help.  ??? Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 2 Questions (Date Tags & Headers)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 02:58:51 AM »
My question is about the date tags. I've seen others with the tags at the end of their posts. So I checked and have the outbound clean tag checked. However when I post into yahoo forums (where I've seen others with the tags), my post doesn't have that tag at the end. I have several email accounts and non seem to send them. I've even emailed myself to see. Nope! Do some email account just don't work with the tags? All my accounts well except gmail (and I know the link to make that work), is avast support. The icon does turn!
Where are you trying to see the tags? In the 'sent items' box? The tag is added after the copy of the sent message goes to that folder.
But, in fact, if you send an email to yourself, the tag should be there. Are you sending txt or html email?
Did you change this setting and boot after that or not?

Another question is that I have notice is in my headers there isn't anything that has avast in it. So I am wondering if there is something missing when I downloaded. Or if I need to worry about that. I do have Outlook Express. Win XP Home SP1 (right now).
You should have X-Antivirus lines in the headers, otherwise, the email is not being scanned.

Can you see in the headers of the messages (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details), for instance:
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

All of Norton / Symantic files are totally out which was my problem before.
Hmm... I'm afraid not...  :'(

I guess I'm back at the drawing board again, just trying to figure if avast is working just find and don't have to worry about these tags or headers.
No, you should worry...

Don't a full scan and no viruses. So I know my puter is clean. No spyware too! And no symantic  ;D
If somebody could enlighten me or if we could fix this problem that may be just minor I would appreciate any help.  ??? Thanks!
Maybe being sure of removing NAV and repairing avast! installation.

Welcome  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 03:00:41 AM »
SP1? Time to get your system up-to-date immediatly!!!

Avast does not put tags in webbased email.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 03:07:28 AM »
Fully right.

I do have Outlook Express.
::)  ::)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 09:48:25 AM »
brokenpcs

Let's try to clear up a couple of things. 

Are you saying that email you receive in Outlook Express does not have the "avast tags" appended indicating the the email was scanned?  If so what type of accounts are these?   

Eddy and Tech have advised you correctly that any Yahoo forum messages you receive or send send via the web interface will not have avast scanning tags. 

However, if you have chosen (as many of us do) to have Yahoo forum messages delivered to a POP3 email account then those messages should be scanned by avast.

Oh ... and I agree with Eddy that you really need to get your system up to date.  I know it seems a lot of hassle .. but it is worth it.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:52:56 AM by alanrf »

brokenpcs

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 02:26:54 PM »
Where are you trying to see the tags? In the 'sent items' box? The tag is added after the copy of the sent message goes to that folder.
But, in fact, if you send an email to yourself, the tag should be there. Are you sending txt or html email? Did you change this setting and boot after that or not?

I send an email test to various accounts that I have. Mainly webmail accounts. Though I thought that those too would have tags being that in my understanding that some are (SMTP or IMAP). I may be wrong here. I send all in txt and recieve in text too or at least on some accounts I have them ignore the http. so no image. I've used all my accounts to send to each other even my ISP account in which that should have something unless it is not supported by avast. The only thing that I changed was infected mail discard it (outlook / exchange) and set my settings on high.

After finding Mail Protection file which didn't show in the start, programs, avast. Had to go into the avast folder to find. Double click that and I just clicked auto for new email accounts in the future as well then next and it stated that my accounts were automatically supported (finished) didn't go on. Apparantly something isn't. Or I am not getting it.  ???

Can you see in the headers of the messages (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details), for instance:
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

Did that in my hotmail account from hotmail to hotmail. And I see no headers with that in it. Also my ISP account sent to hotmail again nothing.  :(

All of Norton / Symantic files are totally out which was my problem before.
Hmm... I'm afraid not...  :'(

Went into registry (find) Norton and Symantic. All are not there. Did search files and folders again not there all gone. Add / Remove nothing there either. So now what??? I was going to install Sygate until I read here that it's now Symantic. So I deleted the download. That shouldn't be making a problem, should it??? And I was hoping I didn't have to worry!  :( No wonder these tests for virus didn't work well.

Maybe being sure of removing NAV and repairing avast! installation.

As I said did check through everything I could think of to see if Norton / Symantic is in and nothing I could find. I even uninstall avast and reinstalled it to see if that would change but didn't notice any headers. Will these headers work on webmail accounts too. such as yahoo, care2, hotmail etc.?

I'll try the repairing. Let me make sure I understand how to do this. Go into add/remove. Click avast, click change/remove. When it comes up click repair. Is that the right procedure? Oh yeah my ISP email account I don't really use it as that was my understanding to keep spam out of it. They do have high settings themself and many emails don't come through with their virus protection as well. That account passed the test of virus test as well as yahoo and care2. Again thanks!

brokenpcs

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 02:33:32 PM »
Fully right.

Well then that problem should be fixed then being many of my email accounts are webbased accounts. Oh see I thought they were SMTP or IMAP being in the headers some of them would say SMTP. So I thought! So that part I shouldn't worry then being they are webmails. Thanks!

brokenpcs

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 02:50:00 PM »
brokenpcs

Let's try to clear up a couple of things. 

Are you saying that email you receive in Outlook Express does not have the "avast tags" appended indicating the the email was scanned?  If so what type of accounts are these?   

Eddy and Tech have advised you correctly that any Yahoo forum messages you receive or send send via the web interface will not have avast scanning tags. 

However, if you have chosen (as many of us do) to have Yahoo forum messages delivered to a POP3 email account then those messages should be scanned by avast.

Oh ... and I agree with Eddy that you really need to get your system up to date.  I know it seems a lot of hassle .. but it is worth it.

Outlook express as I am understanding is a SMTP account though it isn't my ISP account. Of course I don't understand these types of accounts per say. OK let me explain I have an account of course with my ISP. Now that should be called a POP3 account. If I understand right. Maybe I am wrong it may be just webmail. I know I could go to it by typing webmail.(and the name of it dot com.) Sorry these types of accounts get me confused.  ??? Don't really use the account for any thing except for very personal friends. Of course when I send to that account I don't recieve anything in. Before avast I did.

With yahoo forum it's some are sent to my hotmail account and some to gmail. And I know that avast isn't supported with gmail directly. However I like to fix one problem before moving on. As my understanding now is that these accounts will not have the tags within. That they are more of webmail accounts. It would be nice if that would be included somehow on the newer programs.

Yes I do plan to update to SP 2 as soon as Microsoft sends a CD. It will not be too long as I was told. Will that fix my problems for if not then shouldn't I worry about fixing them first before updating? Again thanks.

And as you all notice apparently I don't do the quotes well when separating :(  ???  :'(

brokenpcs

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 04:44:51 PM »
OK I went to add/remove clicked on avast. clicked change/remove and went to repair. entered.

Says it was successful. However still no headers in any of my email accounts. Under care2 it has x-virus-scanned by amavisd-new. Apparently they have their own anti-virus. But no avast anywhere.  :'(

Maybe the download was corrupted being I had symantic still in. Could this be it? I did notice that the avast clear did Not take all of the avast program out of registry. That's strange being you said it should on one of the other posters (somebody said).

So I am at a big lost and would hate not to have avast as my anti virus program. So I really could use your help! Right now I am using Windows Firewall (temperary) Under the Sheild's Up I am totally protected at this point. I am wondering if that had something to do with the mess.

Should I go ahead and disable the firewall. Uninstall avast. Take out the download then go to the site and download again and install? Also should I go into my registry (not something I like to do), after I use the clean avast and make sure there isn't any other avast keys or files there? (using -find - avast - delete).And just start fresh!!

Now some says to update Win XP SP1 to SP2 OK I do plain on it however would that make avast work? I'm just wondering! If not then wouldn't be better to fix now then update later? Sounds to me that avast should work with SP1 as I've read some posters have and it is fine. Courious! 

I am really at a lost here! Thanks for any help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:26:46 PM »
Maybe the download was corrupted being I had symantic still in. Could this be it?
Sure... if you did not get clean of NAV avast! won't work... it's useless even to test it...  :'(

Should I go ahead and disable the firewall. Uninstall avast. Take out the download then go to the site and download again and install?
I think it's not a problem on the downloaded file (setupeng.exe) but the presence of Norton Antivirus...

Also should I go into my registry (not something I like to do), after I use the clean avast and make sure there isn't any other avast keys or files there? (using -find - avast - delete).And just start fresh!!
Uninstall avast! through Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, boot, only after that use the avast! unistall tool.

Now some says to update Win XP SP1 to SP2 OK I do plain on it however would that make avast work? I'm just wondering! If not then wouldn't be better to fix now then update later? Sounds to me that avast should work with SP1 as I've read some posters have and it is fine. Courious!
avast! working has nothing to do with SP1 or SP2.
In my opinion, uninstall avast, install SP2 and fully Windows updates, get rid of NAV!
Only after that we can talk about avast!  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:31:18 PM »
Well then that problem should be fixed then being many of my email accounts are webbased accounts.
It does not seem to be a problem and won't be fixed... as far I could understand.
avast! can't add a note to an email not send by smtp protocol... that's it  ;)

brokenpcs

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 11:37:03 PM »
Sure... if you did not get clean of NAV avast! won't work... it's useless even to test it...  :'(
avast! working has nothing to do with SP1 or SP2.
In my opinion, uninstall avast, install SP2 and fully Windows updates, get rid of NAV!
Only after that we can talk about avast!  8)

OK followed your instructions! Remove program, then use the unistall tool. (of course being I removed the program from the add/remove it didn't have a folder that it was in. But I did click anyway. Stated successful removed! Though I checked into the reg. found:

DeviceDisc Reg_SZ Avast Standard Shield Support
DeviceDisc Reg_SZ Avast Network Shield Support
DeviceDisc Reg_SZ Avast Antivirus
Legacy Avast Antivirus
Service Reg_SZ Avast Antivirus
Avast
ALWIL software
url1 http avast.com
000 Reg_SZ Avast
001 Reg_SZ Avast4.ini
d    Reg_SZ C:document/setting (I don't have that typed right I know
That's when I saw 04 (I believe) symantec. I deleted that. Hopefully there isn't any hidden files here for I did the edit, find under norton and under symantec and stated no files / folders with such. If there is I have no way of knowing.

Ok back to avast
c Reg_SZ C: Document/Setting
Avast Anti Virus
C:Document Removal
C:Program Avast Antivirus

So it looks like avast did not clear out of the registry as it should. Don't know what the problem was. But because of it I did find that other symantic. (only one that I know of). Being I do not know all the names for them.

OK now the next step. First if registry could not find any symantec or norton then that should be it shouldn't it? I mean I should not have any norton or symantic that's in my computer right? I know that typing NAV or NIS into the find isn't the right thing being it came up with other stuff I know I need. 

Should I go ahead and delete all of the avast in the registry so I could have a clean install? Like I said as soon as I get the CD for SP2 I will go and update it that, when I get it I will probably ask some questions before installing. But in the meantime I would like this to work now! Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 11:41:03 PM »
First if registry could not find any symantec or norton then that should be it shouldn't it? I mean I should not have any norton or symantic that's in my computer right? I know that typing NAV or NIS into the find isn't the right thing being it came up with other stuff I know I need.
Working with Registry is not an easy work. You need to take care.
Better will be going to Symantec site and download the uninstall tools for NAV and NIS.
Which version did you use? 2004? 2003?

Should I go ahead and delete all of the avast in the registry so I could have a clean install?
If you install avast!, what do you get? Can you run it?

brokenpcs

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 12:29:47 AM »
Working with Registry is not an easy work. You need to take care.
Better will be going to Symantec site and download the uninstall tools for NAV and NIS.
Which version did you use? 2004? 2003?
If you install avast!, what do you get? Can you run it?

This is true with registry. The only problem with Symantec is that their uninstall tools did not work as they should! Which is why I had to go into the Registry in the first place.

When I installed avast in the first place I figured it was running well. Updated each time. The A ball animation was turning. Bootscan it did. Everything seemed find. Change settings to high instead of normal. So I figured that I was also find with my emails. Even when opening my messages the A ball turned. The problem I ended up having was when I did a virus test in a couple of my accounts Outlook Express came 90% my bulk mail instead of just deleting them out. As my understanding was that it should. Some of my other accounts didn't show but a percent or two through which I have read is normal.

Then as I was reading the forums notice about the headers and that the avast should be in these headers. In all my accounts there is no avast. Only one account (care2) that had x virus scanned by amavisd-new. Which of course isn't avast. Apparently they have their own when you join to help on their end.

Like I said avast seem to be running well (did uninstall it right now). I'm just trying to figure out why I cannot see anything in the headers to indicate that avast is scanning email. This is why I am questioning it for if I didn't read that thread I would have thought avast is running correctly. Do not get any errors and I have done a full virus scan with avast before going onto the internet. Didn't have any virus.

So what should I do now! Should I make sure avast is totally out of the registry? Or should I just download again and install as is? Thanks again. Hope you could inlighten me and help of course. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 02:58:39 AM »
This is true with registry. The only problem with Symantec is that their uninstall tools did not work as they should! Which is why I had to go into the Registry in the first place.
Ok, I agree. But make a backup of your registry first (

When I installed avast in the first place I figured it was running well. Updated each time. The A ball animation was turning. Bootscan it did. Everything seemed find. Change settings to high instead of normal. So I figured that I was also find with my emails. Even when opening my messages the A ball turned. The problem I ended up having was when I did a virus test in a couple of my accounts Outlook Express came 90% my bulk mail instead of just deleting them out. As my understanding was that it should. Some of my other accounts didn't show but a percent or two through which I have read is normal.
There is no automatic deletion in Home version. You could continue the scanning (answer YES) or send the email to Chest (answer NO).
Only in Pro version you can automatic delete an infected email.

Then as I was reading the forums notice about the headers and that the avast should be in these headers. In all my accounts there is no avast. Only one account (care2) that had x virus scanned by amavisd-new. Which of course isn't avast. Apparently they have their own when you join to help on their end.
Seems that your email is automatic scanned by other antivirus. In fact, I never heard it...  ::)

Like I said avast seem to be running well (did uninstall it right now). I'm just trying to figure out why I cannot see anything in the headers to indicate that avast is scanning email. This is why I am questioning it for if I didn't read that thread I would have thought avast is running correctly. Do not get any errors and I have done a full virus scan with avast before going onto the internet. Didn't have any virus.
If you have XP you should have the X-Antivirus headers if you check for pop3 scanning (into Internet Mail provider settings).

So what should I do now! Should I make sure avast is totally out of the registry? Or should I just download again and install as is? Thanks again. Hope you could inlighten me and help of course. 
No, you don't have to remove avast. Try to repair it first.
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?