Author Topic: Looking for general feedback  (Read 3399 times)

REDACTED

Looking for general feedback
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:57:03 PM »
Hello,

We're looking at moving to Avast for our Windows and Mac workstations.  I'm interested in learning folks' overall impressions and experiences with Avast and what AV product you moved from and why?

Thank you!

REDACTED

Re: Looking for general feedback
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info, Eddy.

What I've found is that almost all products look good on paper, but reality is frequently quite different.  I'm hoping to get some first-hand experience and feedback from folks who have been using it, particularly as compared to whatever product they were using previously. What's better, what's worse, how has the level of support been, etc.

Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
Most of the times people who are using avast will say it is great, works better then what I had before and such.
People who don't use avast anymore say they opposite.

I'm not using a business/education version, but from what I have seen on this webboard the support is fast and accurate.
Not only by avast, but also vendors and other users.

I would say setup a test environment and give one of the solutions avast is offering a try.
"Get experience out of the first hand"  ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:30:58 PM »
I rolled out Avast in our 23 school district about a year ago. So far, we like it. We are not paying for professional support, but that's mostly because we haven't had any issues big enough to validate spending the money on it.
We were previously using Lightspeed Security Agent and we are just glad to be rid of that product -.-

We have a 20,000 machine license and the AEA seems to be able to handle all of the inventory pretty well. And it seems to catch most infections.

Our only problem thus far has been the updated license we applied. A lot of the machines are reporting that the license is a trial license and we have to manually update the license file on those machines. It's a tedious task, but professional support may already have a fix for it.

I would definitely recommend this product for large districts. The price can't be beat :-P

Offline Chad-bisd

• Hopeful, yet discontent
    • Beckville ISD
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
Pros:
Free
Good at catching, stopping infections
Enterprise Console that actually works

Cons:
Install documentation leaves a lot to be desired
Every machine detected consumes a license, whether or not you actually install or use Avast! on it.
Keeps many days of old virus defs, consuming disk space. Bad for tablets with SSD.
License problems when updating or replacing.  Make sure you get way more licenses than you need, and get the expiration date set for some time convenient for you before you install or deploy clients.
Absolutely NO Avast presence on the forums.
USA Education Forum has low participation/low population, so even community help is very limited.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback thus far. This is the kind of useful information and FHE I'm looking for.

I did notice that it was pretty quiet in here, coupled with limited support hours has me a little wary.

Thanks again. I welcome any additional feedback while we evaluate this and other products.