Author Topic: VERY frustrated  (Read 23884 times)

CoJo

Re:VERY frustrated
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2003, 03:45:59 AM »
Technical, thank you...I will do this.
I tied ashDisp.exe to my start up folder, too.
I will finish this tomorrow as I am a bit overwhelmed with my stupidity and the sheer volume of informatin :)

and I must be honest about something right now...I am handicapped with Rheumatoid Arthritis. No worry as I am all right...but some of the drugs the doc gives me for pain impairs my comprehesion/cognition. All it means is that I sometimes have to read new things 2-3 times before I understand it and that makes me slow to act. I make jokes about being stupid but I really am not 8)...just adjusting to new things. When I was able to work, I did the same thing over and over again on the computer...I was a fraud analyist for a credit card processing company...so we used the same programs all the time. Since I have been on medical leave, I have been trying to learn more about computers.
So, I ask you to be patient while I follow your suggestions, ok?

Thank you, my friends, for your help. I felt that it was only fair to let you know that I am trying to do what you suggest.
CoJo

Quote from: Technical

link=board=2;threadid=1658;start=15#msg10372 date=1067997036
As Vlk said ashDisp.exe is, as you figured out, just the tray icon - if you don't like it, you can kill it... This process is actually responsible for all UI of the resident modules, including the virus alerts, updating windows etc... (the services never display anything, they "don't interact with the desktop" in MS tech parlance).

If avast tray icon missing the resident protection mau be still active (it runs by ashserv.exe and ashsimpl.exe). All of them are:

ashDisp.exe (App - actually, tray icon)
ashMaiSv.exe (App)
ashserv.exe (Service)
ashSimpl.exe (App, present only if console window is open)
aswUpdSv.exe (Service)

Cojo, try a full look at these foruns related to ashDisp.exe.

Suggestion: need way to stop ALL services/processes
Resident Protection always Disabled
ashdisp strange
Re:Avast/RPCSS.exe accessing the internet..worried user
AAVM detected a RPC error
Avast tray icon missing
Resident Protection

CoJo

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2003, 03:52:03 AM »
Walker, thank you...I deleted it...and there are no other icons besides the a and the i...

I'm going to have a mint julep and read the suggestions now ;D...maybe the mint will clear my mind  ;D

wonderful dreams and a good night's rest!

CoJo

Walker

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2003, 03:56:20 AM »
Cojo,

At you leasure... tommorrow or when ever. When I ask about other icons, I am talking about icons for other applications (programs). Are you saying that there are no others in the task bar... ie the two computers when you are connected to the internet etc etc. ?? If not, you might have a Windows config/settings issue which I find strange.

Have a good rest too.

Best wishes,
Walker

CoJo

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2003, 05:26:32 AM »
hope you slept well, Walker! :)

there are no icons of two computers "interacting", I have the icon for my Connection Manager for my DSL, and my Ad Watch...I think it's okay...and I am back to one disabled icon on instant messenger.

well, the mint is doing a great job...good night all

CoJo

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2003, 12:41:41 PM »
CoJo,

Do your event logs indicate anything unusual?

Regards,
Hornus

CoJo

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2003, 02:45:59 PM »
Hello Hornus,
 the only thing unusual I noticed is that some files cannot be scanned...most of them Dell support with .wci extension...then when they found virus that it was moved it the chest.

Peace,
CoJo

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2003, 02:54:08 PM »
CoJo,

Actually, I was referring to your Windows event logs -- Application Log and System Log.  Sorry for the ambiguity.

Regards,
Hornus
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 02:55:14 PM by Hornus Continuum »

CoJo

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2003, 03:57:28 PM »
oh, I am sorry, Hornus!

I don't think that I've ever checked them :-[
shows how little I know about computers! :'(

I'll go to the help system and see what I can find.
Thanks!

Peace,
CoJo

Walker

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2003, 06:38:09 PM »
Good Evening Cojo,

Sorry, been out of the house all day... how is it going now, any more news?

Walker.

PS..... I get the feeling that there is a new program version due. Not that it helps you, but I've noticed the Adwil team are a bit less frequent on the forum... hence they might be busy and that's why we're not seeing the official input  :'(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 06:44:44 PM by Walker »

Walker

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2003, 06:47:51 PM »
CoJo,

Actually, I was referring to your Windows event logs --

Thanks HC for joining in. I was wondering if the Avast 'setup log' would give us a clue  ??? . Any experience of the contents ?.

Walker.

Walker

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2003, 07:11:00 PM »
all right...I used the removal utility for Avast! then reinstalled. The following are in my processes:
aswUpdSv.exe
ashMaiSv.exe
ashServ.exe
ashDisp.exe

again, I had to manually activate ashDisp.exe

Cojo,

A few message back, you wrote the above.

Is it presently the case that you have these programs running in you processes, AFTER a reboot and PRIOR to you manually clicking on the files ??

Do you have 'Hide inactive Icons' set in your Windows taskbar configuration?

Sorry, I meant to ask you this at the time, but missed it  :(

Walker

CoJo

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2003, 08:53:08 PM »
Hi Walker  :)

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner...actually, I fell out of my wheelchair and now have a big boo-boo.  :(
I'm going to be off line for a few days as the doc wants me on bedrest...that foolish man doesn't think sitting at the computer is resting my knee enough >:(
I am going to try and convince him to let me prop it up and hope that will satisfy him!...then I can get back on the computer ;D

So, my friend, I will talk with you soon. At least he gave me some really great pain pills!!

Peace, CoJo

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2003, 08:53:56 PM »
Walker,

I've examined my own setup log out of curiosity, and it made sense to me.  I can compare CoJo's log with mine to look for glaring inconsistencies.  It might not be as effective as having one of the A-Team look at it, but I'm willing to have a go at it.

CoJo,

If you want me to check your setup log, send me a private message, and I'll respond with an e-mail address you can use to send the log to me.

Regards,
Hornus

Walker

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2003, 09:12:56 PM »
Walker,
I've examined my own setup log out of curiosity, and it made sense to me.  I can compare CoJo's log with mine to look for glaring inconsistencies.  It might not be as effective as having one of the A-Team look at it, but I'm willing to have a go at it.

Hey HC, great idea and thanks for taking the interest in CoJo's problem. Hopefully she'll be back on the forum soon and will take up your offer. Thanks a lot.

CoJo,
Hope you get better soon and can follow Hornus's suggestion.

Best wishes,
Walker.

CoJo

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2003, 04:12:49 AM »
Walker, hello!

I'm "rested" and ready to get this sucker fixed right ;D
 I'll be back over the weekend.
thank you, CoJo