Author Topic: AVAST CLEAR DELETED ALL MY DESKTOP FILES!  (Read 15145 times)

Offline mk_design

Re: AVAST CLEAR DELETED ALL MY DESKTOP FILES!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
It seems to me you messed around and crippled the registry.
Nothing avast can do about that.

Oh no doubt about that. I am reinstalling the whole system next week anyway.
Bear in mind, I am not criticizing the fact that the antivirus wouldn't uninstall itself in the first place.

I am criticizing the fact that avastclear, an officially provided utility, deletes files completely unrelated to avast, in a completely unpredictable way.

Offline iamll3

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
Hello,

Same thing has just happened to me (Windows 7 64bit Professionnal).

Unlike seanb, I had important data in my Desktop folder. I have ran recuva, unfortunately 10% of the files were overwritten by cache files generated while booting up my browser to access this page, rendering most of my data useless. Thanks a lot, avast.

Devs take notice.
There is something seriously wrong with avastclear. I cannot expect a cleanup utility to go berzerk on random parts of my filesystem.

Here is a recollection of what happened:
- downloaded avastclear to the Desktop folder
- rebooted in diagnostic mode (not safe mode)
- ran avastclear from the Desktop folder
- asked for a cleanup with the following options:
       -> Program install directory: default option (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast)
       -> Data install directory: pointed to a directory that did not exist
       -> "clean Avast Free Antivirus"

And boom, one after the other, the items quickly disappeared from the Desktop before my very eyes.

Uninstalling this antivirus suite has proven worse than being infected by a virus. I have lost important data thanks to avast's sloppily coded utility. Thankfully I have backups (dating from last month...).

FIX THIS

hey , i had this problem happen to me months ago as well

https://forum.avast.com/?topic=160530.0

only like yourself , i lost data that actually mattered , over 50gigs of it to be precise , i've since used a myriad of recovery programs to try and get that data back but i've only been able to recover about half of it and of that half most of the files are still broken or missing or claimed by the com to be taking up their full space on the hdd but when examining individual files and their contents i find that their properties say they're taking up 0 amount of space.....

using hiren's boot cd's data recovery tool it was able to make multiple incarnations of my partition that they seem to each have different files that they remember , even more broken than what i've already recovered and even found some stuff i deleted years ago.....
however there's like 100 ghost copies of my partition that it's able to make , i wish i could get the specific name of the data recovery program it uses so i can show you it's explanation of this process on it's site , but going through each copy partition and trying to recover the 50+- gigs of data i had stored in the folder that avast eradicated would take a tremendous amount of time , so i was wondering if you might know any anything i could do to get my data back intact or what.....

Offline the_troposph3r3

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »
I ran avast clear on safe mode as instructed on their site to remove avast and when I ran it it deleted all my desktop files and when I log ed in to the default it had changed my personalization settings on the task bar and all my files are deleted!!! I need a response please. I didn't not change any directorys.

Same has happened to me only i'm on windows 10 I had to use windows restore point to 2 days ago cause i set it to clean and it cleared my desktop removed all my apps and so it was almost as if it had reboot it but I found that my C and D drives were still full so 25 minutes of restore and luckily despite it said that it failed to system restore properly it seems everything avast deleted has come back but according clean up theres 75 files it's deemed a useless waste of space but considering the name pardon my language but it a load of bull without half of the files it was listing windows 10 probably wouldn't function it also deems /GS In- Game Service, Backup Manager Tray, Windows Own Hotkey system and most importantly the StartCCC file which without I cannot use catalyst control center to change my graphical settings for video games,

So if you ask me Avast needs a major definition update particularly on the word "Necessary" because it may seem like useless to a bunch of programmed 1's and 01's but I actually need my graphics card software for my games to run...

Speaking of DNS Unlocker AdWare somehow got on to my DC Universe Online Updater through my steam browser and while Avast has got rid of it on my browsers... But it's still on the updater i've tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it but the updater still has shopping adds blocking all the urls, settings, the play button for the game itself and even the exit and minimize button... I can't play the game till i've gotten rid of it malware bytes hasn't found it i've tried hitman pro and even avast hasn't worked

I've never heard of adware on an mmo game updater before so i'm clueless what to do I need some expert advice!

Offline alexnasseh

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
I had the same issue, after running avast clean up, all my windows settings (including my desktop) were deleted. I had luck to have a restore point for the same day, so i didn't loose anything, but you should warn the consumer about this and let us know that running the clean up tool could delete all of your windows settings.