Author Topic: Ad Blocker 8.0 in Firefox 35.0.1  (Read 10770 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Ad Blocker 8.0 in Firefox 35.0.1
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:45:32 AM »
Hi Gopher John,

Here you doubt the wetting of Google Chrome and protect the firefox AMO point of view, notwithstanding the fact there may be other reasons than plain security testing to propagate Wladimir Palant's ABP over uBlock. I also did not hear the firefox fanboys speak out on the hard-coded ad-launching that came to firefox via their ad-tiles (you can go back on ad-tiles via an earlier configuration but as per default you get this), not many users going to change the browser via about-config to change this hard-coded ads-feeding. I am not against this, but I do not like it when browser development is not open and upfront about these schemes. Sorry firefox is not the open development browser from their earlier Mozilla days anymore, but my idle hopes ended when the Palo-Alto developed flock browser went obsolete, the best browser with the best feel had suddenly gone forever.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 01:00:02 AM »
FWIW, I've never had the ad page that is mentioned.  I disabled that when the version that introduced it was released.  I guess it's all in knowing how to use Firefox, or any other software.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
Currently, I have zero issues with Adblocker, set with Default settings. I've seen Zip ads since I installed it (Unless disabled)
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »
Gave ublock a try on FF 35.0.1, and I have to say it's really good, and makes browsing snappier. I read this post by ublock on how to reduce privacy exposure and it doesn't seem to break any sites.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Filter-lists:-gorhill

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.