Author Topic: Can't get Avast to respond to my ticket for a refund  (Read 4056 times)

REDACTED

Can't get Avast to respond to my ticket for a refund
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
So a week ago on one of my PCs, I got an offer to upgrade my free antivirus for what everything showed as monthly payments.

As I've always been interested in upgrading Avast on my PCs at home, just not at an all-at-once price, I jumped at the opportunity. I chose the 3 years for 5 PCs for something like $4.50/month.

So I went through all the steps of the transaction, everything showing the monthly payments. Shortly after, I go check my bank account, and am shocked to see they charged the entire amount to me all at once.

So I nearly immediately created a refund support ticket, which according to the support site, was the highest priority ticket.

Fast forward to now, I still have had no response. I even updated the ticket asking for an update, but nothing.

I tried to call their support line, but all it does is tell me I have to create a support ticket, which I did... a week ago.

I've always enjoyed and trusted Avast, it's what I put on all of my own PCs as well as what I recommend to everyone and what I install on every PC I work on for people. But now, I'm starting to question my loyalty.

Can anyone help me?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Can't get Avast to respond to my ticket for a refund
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:48:17 PM »
I've read other posts in the past similar.
When it's stated $4.50/month, I believe this is simply a statement of how the monthly cost if broken down over the year/for a yearly subscription,
NOT that they will charge/Bill you on a monthly basis. Showing the promo this way I think can be confusing and lead users to believe they will be Billed ($so much)/month
This is my understanding of what may have occurred. :)

Edit; Submitting further tickets for any reason will make the process longer as  now it's at the bottom.
Response has been known to be slow for some users.
Post your ticket # here if no response after the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:51:09 PM by schmidthouse »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
It was definitely very misleading. I've seen lots of upgrade offers and that was the first one that showed anything monthly, I thought it was something new they were offering.

It's really something they should offer, I'd be all over an upgrade if it was monthly. I just can't justify the cost all up front, nor do I currently really have the funds for it. The free version works just fine for my needs, but I could definitely do a few bucks a month to support the software and get some more features.

Thank you for the info, I will post the ticket number if I don't hear anything.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
 You're welcome/.
Personally I think Monthly billing of users/renewals would be unmanageable. ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
It's just a matter of good reading.
It never said anywhere that you could pay per month.

If you buy a license for x year(s), you will have to pay for it fully.
It shows clearly the costs before you click "ok" to confirm the order.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:08:30 AM »
I think they could manage it... I mean, countless websites and services do monthly billing. Just have the license expire in a month until it auto renews for the next month. Most of what they need to do that looks like it's already there.

And yes, it does show the cost, but it also showed the $4.50/month every step of the way, which I'd never seen before. So being excited and wanting to jump on the offer, I went with it.

It's still somewhat if a misleading tactic even if it says the full amount will be charged in fine print. Nothing popped out at me that it was going to charge the whole amount.

The kicker of it is, it let me activate the license on the PC I did the purchase on, but it kept giving me errors adding the license on the other one, lol.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:43 AM »
Well it's coming up on 10pm on Sunday and no response.

So here's my ticket number: QMD-220-84564

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »
I have tried to attract some attention to your plight.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:21:04 PM »
I have tried to attract some attention to your plight.

I got a reply and you should have had a reply/communication an hour or so before my post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:06:33 PM »
I did get a reply and they are processing my refund.

Thank you so much :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
You're welcome.