Author Topic: Avast Free Limitations  (Read 5516 times)

ntechie

Avast Free Limitations
« on: September 24, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »
I have just installed Avast Home and I find that it does not have the facility "Enhanced User Interface" and we are asked to download the Avast Cleaner separately.

2. Does it mean that Avast Free edition is seriously handicapped in that it cannot clean the virus when detected??

3. If that is not the case then what is it that a paid version does and Free version cannot??

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Free Limitations
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 06:56:44 PM »
Avast home can detect/remove malware as the pro version.
http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html

Use the search option on this board, read the manual/help and look at Avast's website before asking.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 06:58:10 PM »
The pro has  a scheduler and the advanced user interface controls this element among others..  The free version obviously does not have these refined features but it is still a very effective av

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 07:23:14 PM »
... and we are asked to download the Avast Cleaner separately.

No. avast! Home edition integrates the avast virus cleaner into the program. You can run it if avast detects a virus that the cleaner can clean.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:51:08 PM »
I have just installed Avast Home and I find that it does not have the facility "Enhanced User Interface" and we are asked to download the Avast Cleaner separately.

2. Does it mean that Avast Free edition is seriously handicapped in that it cannot clean the virus when detected??

3. If that is not the case then what is it that a paid version does and Free version cannot??

Remember that not all infections are cleanable.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 11:02:02 PM »
Both Home and Pro has the avast! Cleaner into them and will be invoked to clean the infections.

Not. Home and Pro are both equal in terms of protection: same virus database, scanning habilities. Only minor or non-protection features are different and better on the Pro version.
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 05:22:25 PM »
There's a lot more features in the Pro version these days than were in the old Advanced interface of avast-32.  One of the features I found most useful back then, and which is still in Pro, was the ability to define different "tasks" if you often did specific kinds of different scans (a particular folder-tree, for instance). 

That way you could simply select, e.g., "Task A" rather than having to totally redefine the scan from scratch if you change it, as you still have to do with the Home version (which I use).
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent