Author Topic: Why Grisoft AVG?  (Read 25303 times)

Umath

Re: Why Grisoft AVG?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 03:17:52 AM »
The reason why I like Sasha's skins is that they don't only look good but are sorted well and functional.  I think Avast should use one of Sasha's skins as default one.

Personally, I am using the top blue one.  Thanx, Sasha.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 03:30:05 AM »
Thanks my friend, I appreciate your opinion and nice words. Sure, I'm trying and giving my best to make those skins look nice and clean. Not all avast! users like skins, and I also understand those users too... some people like plain look and that's how it is. That's the main reason I also made few very simple skins like Flat'n'Simple and Corporate...

I guess something for everyone...  ;D

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 04:21:07 AM »
sorry if this may seem like spam but i have to express my self:
Grisoft AVG skin is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really unprofessional looking and UGLY

tim

Thomas123

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 07:36:33 AM »
Grisoft AVG skin is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really unprofessional looking and UGLY

tim

I totally agree with you. I hope that "Skinnable" can be one of avast!'s selling points  :D

Umath

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 11:12:38 PM »
Thanks my friend, I appreciate your opinion and nice words. Sure, I'm trying and giving my best to make those skins look nice and clean. Not all avast! users like skins, and I also understand those users too... some people like plain look and that's how it is. That's the main reason I also made few very simple skins like Flat'n'Simple and Corporate...

I guess something for everyone...  ;D

Cheers !

Thanx.  I'll try them.  Nice to have varieties and options, which is the main reason I am using Avast!

MFB

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 03:28:12 AM »

tim

Remember you guys, the performance of the antivirus in action is the Key. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 03:39:12 AM »
Not only that... detection, configuration hability, resources, features, price  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Thomas123

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 04:48:04 PM »
Not only that... detection, configuration hability, resources, features, price  ;D

I know that avast! has better configuration, low resource usage, and more feature. But, does avast! really have a better detection rate than AVG?

Spyros

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 05:15:09 PM »
I know that avast! has better configuration, low resource usage, and more feature. But, does avast! really have a better detection rate than AVG?
Yes, it does. Check here for a start (see the latest -August- results) : http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »
I left AVG for avast and it found some viruses living quite happily under AVG for some time. That was obviously some time ago but even now avast's detections are better than AVG. It also provides a more configurable solution not to mention additional scanning providers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »
I doubt that avast! detection is really that better than AVG. All the times, in real world, that I found avast! false positives or worse, lack of detection, AVG did not fail never  :-\

Yes, it does. Check here for a start (see the latest -August- results) : http://www.av-comparatives.org/
I'm not so sure...

But even now avast's detections are better than AVG.
I'm not so sure...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 06:26:36 PM »
I'm not so sure...
Whilst we all know what AV reviews and tests are like, in the link Spyros gave you can check over a longer period and that would seem to confirm avast is better than AVG

But even now avast's detections are better than AVG.
I'm not so sure...
Even if there close or even, then the functionality would have to sway users in favour of avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »
Even if there close or even, then the functionality would have to sway users in favour of avast!
I wish I could write this... when you get infected you become more cautious on your affirmations.
I'm not saying that avast! is not good... but detection is far from perfect. AVG never let me with a second, completely right, opinion.
Functionality I won't discuss, avast! is far far superior.

TAP

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 06:13:20 AM »
I think now Alwil should mainly focus on improving the avast! detection rates both overall detection (Zoo) and some kind of proactive detection or keep on faster response when something goes ITW, and last but not least, reduce the false positives.

Long time ago, as far as I saw NOD32 had quite low overall detection rates but it has been improved, improved and improved and now NOD32 is probably one of the best antivirus out there, so what about avast!? we don't want to see AVG beats avast! some day, lots of skins and nice features can't help us safer...   ::) ::) ::) ::)

I hope and also still believe that avast! can be better than where it is today.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 06:17:33 AM by TAP »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 12:28:07 PM »
...lots of skins and nice features can't help us safer...   ::) ::) ::) ::)...

I really don't see where are you aiming with this...  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Skins are not an issue here... Of course it's better if people can have a multiple choice. AVG don't offer such a thing, not even any other AV out there.

And why you keep "sticking" this to Alwil ? Alwil didn't lose their time making skins... They are working hard on their products. I myself, and few others were busy making those skins, Alwil has other responsibilities and having all those skins in the skin download section, doesn't make avast! any weaker. They can remove all those skins from download section, and avast! will be still the same... You also mentioned lots of nice features... of course there are lots of useful features. That's what makes avast! one of the best antiviruses out there. And Nod32 best antivirus ? I don't think so, read some recent reviews out there...  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 02:13:22 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s