Author Topic: Why Grisoft AVG?  (Read 25304 times)

TAP

Re: Why Grisoft AVG?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »
Hey, don't get me wrong, :) I have nothing against skins.

All I wanted to say is, avast! already features many unique/useful features that something you can't find in other AVs, so now it's time to improving the detection rates to make avast! better, better and better and avast! will truly be the unique antivirus.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 03:34:40 PM by TAP »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2005, 03:51:54 PM »
Exactly, but I don't think skins and some other wonderful additional features should ever be mentioned as obstacle for improving avast!

I still believe Alwil works hard to make avast! even better... of course there is always room for improvement, like it's the case with every other program out there... But, I just wanted to point your attention to that issue. I didn't say you (or anyone else) are not allowed to dislike skins. Of course, you can dislike them, that's your right and I'm not arguing about that at all. I just said, skins and other additional bells and whistles are not in the Alwil's way to improve everything that can be improved. They don't bother with skins that much any more... if some of us makes something sometimes, they just test it and upload it to their server... that's all. They won't lose any significant time on uploading skins, so I believe they still have enough time to fight with other issues inside their program.

Regards !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2005, 05:14:40 PM »
I just said, skins and other additional bells and whistles are not in the Alwil's way to improve everything that can be improved.
As far we could know, the users help on forums taking from them the duty of the support.
Hope, like you, they put time to improve avast! that, for sure, could be better.
The best things in life are free.

darkparrot

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2005, 11:51:25 PM »
I can stand skins, so I just use the generic avast window.

Thomas123

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 03:58:49 AM »
Does skin make the interface have more configuration? I mean, does avast! Home Edition have more configuration if its skin is changed?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
No, not at all. Skin are just skins and they help your avast! Graphical User Interface looks more user friendly... of course you'll find some skin easier to navigate through, and some will be more difficult, but as long as you have all those different skins offered as an option, you're covered... so you can find whatever looks best for you.

Again, skins doesn't cut your avast! efficiency in any way, nor they improve it in any way...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Thomas123

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2005, 11:49:44 PM »
There is only thing I feel that AVG is superior than Avast. AVG has several methods used to detect known and unknown virus.

The following is quoted from http://www.grisoft.com

Detection methods:

Efficiency in detecting infected files is guaranteed by using a combination of different detection levels. Before the check itself, the file is pre-processed, which involves removing any parts unnecessary for virus analysis. A quick scanning process is achieved by this technique.

Known virus detection

This is the simplest technique in which files are checked for the presence of virus identifiers (a sequence of bytes characteristic for an exact virus). Based on this kind of detection, detailed analysis is performed to identify the exact infection.
      Generic detection

This is a more common method for the detection of known viruses and is used to determine new variants of known viruses. If no known virus is identified, generic detection looks for sequences within the file typical for certain viruses. Such sequences usually don't change within the virus when it is modified, even if the behavior of the new variant is different. This method is effective especially in the detection of macro-viruses and script-viruses.
      Heuristic analysis

The last method for detecting viruses (where previously mentioned methods were not successful) is Heuristic analysis. Its skillfulness lies in its capacity to (in some cases) detect a virus which is not included in the internal virus database. During Heuristic Analysis, two methods are used:
          o Static Heuristic analysis - looking for suspicious data constructions
          o Dynamic Heuristic analysis - code emulation: this means the file is started inside the protected environment of a virtual computer inside AVG Anti-Virus. The file is analyzed for actions typical for viruses. An example being an application which when run looks for other executable files in order to modify them.
      Integrity Check

Besides the above mentioned detection methods, AVG Anti-Virus also stores information about changes in defined executable files on a fixed disk. This gives AVG Anti-Virus the option of detecting suspicious changes and helps to heal infected files.

I am surprised that a free product provides so much detection methods just like other commercial products do. Although AVG has several detection methods, AVG's detection rate cannot beat down avast! :P It is very ironic.  ;D

I know that avast! will not use Heuristic analysis except for Email scanning, which is not really "Heuristic analysis" in comparison to other products. Nevertheless, I hope that avast! can become one of the successful antivirus company in the future.

Thomas123

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2005, 11:54:19 PM »
AVG also has a feature called integrity checking, which monitors for changes to scanned files. It can enable faster scanning and improves healing of some damaged files. I think it is a really good one.  :D

I know that NOD32 and Kaspersky 6.0 also have this feature to speed up the scanning process. Has avast! considered to add it to both Home and Pro Edition in the future?

And does that mean AVG! uses lower resource, or runs faster, or scans faster than avast!?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2005, 12:14:39 AM »
Nevertheless, I hope that avast! can become one of the successful antivirus company in the future.
Before you make statement's like that, better get all your facts straight.
If you think AVG is better, then why not use it?
Most of us have been that rout and are EX  AVG, Norton, McAfee, etc, etc users.
We got tired of having our computers taken over and slowed down by the so called Big Ones.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Thomas123

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »
If you think AVG is better, then why not use it?

I never think that AVG is better than avast! But, it looks better than avast!, according to other users who are currently using them and the population.

darth.mikey

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »
I never think that AVG is better than avast! But, it looks better than avast!, according to other users who are currently using them and the population.

Looks better?When was the last time you or that other people had your eyesight checked(tha's a joke BTW)?  ;D

Thomas123

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2005, 11:35:23 PM »

Looks better?When was the last time you or that other people had your eyesight checked(tha's a joke BTW)?  ;D

Oh. I used the wrong word. I should have said, "People think that AVG is a perfect product as a free antivirus. But they never know this world has a better one out here, avast!"

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005, 04:30:40 AM »
i was reading this side of the page and it , though it's not, seems like an argument, lol  ;D
but hmmm
i was playing a online video game and the "big" antiviruses kept giving me alerts that weren't needed
it froze up my browser and while the browser was frozen i got killed by someone else in the game
I wanted a perfect file, too! :'( 8)
but thats just an example....

tim ;)