Author Topic: avast program update  (Read 16326 times)

warlord[usw]

avast program update
« on: September 25, 2005, 02:57:23 AM »
im using avast 4.6 free edition on windows xp pro ive just had a program update and b4 the update had finished my pc reset itself. when i looked at avast after reset it had an error in it. and im not sure if it is the error or a virus that caused avast to crash and wipeout most of my files on my spare hd. ive re-installed avast then updated it by it just auto restarts my pc b4 the upgrade is complete.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast program update
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 03:25:03 AM »
Try to do a manual update.

warlord[usw]

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:37:38 AM »
wanna tell how to do a manual update plz

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 04:02:35 AM »
warlord[usw]
Welcome to the forum.
just follow the instruction in the picture:
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:30:42 AM »
And im not sure if it is the error or a virus that caused avast to crash and wipeout most of my files on my spare hd.
Do you have any other antivirus in your computer? Had in the past?
Which firewall do you use?

avast! does not autorestart the computer unless you check this option in the dialog pop-up box.
The best things in life are free.

pea67nut

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 10:33:57 PM »
I'm brand new to this forum and hope I'm in the right place. I've been having problems with autoupdates on my avast anti-virus. Sometimes it will update just fine and other times the red slider comes up saying the specific file can't be found but I can update it manually just fine. And sometimes when the red slider appears and I try to update manually it says that the vps is already up to date. This is driving me crazy, can someone please help.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:41:44 PM »
Welcome to forums !

First of all, until you provide more information no one will be able to help you. We don't know anything about your computer, type of internet connection, how your Update settings are configured in your avast!... nothing. We don't have a crystal ball, so you have to help us, and then we can help you.

It's not the same if you are connected through the dial-up or you're on broadband connection, so please provide more details and I'm sure you'll get your answers soon.

Cheers !

Edit: these are the sections where you have to look for the fix for your problems... when you tell us what kind of connection you're on, we will tell you how to set those settings...

Click on the thumbnail to see full size screenshots
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 10:48:21 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:46:19 AM »
Sometimes it will update just fine and other times the red slider comes up saying the specific file can't be found but I can update it manually just fine.
Are you talking about logon time or any automatic update?

And sometimes when the red slider appears and I try to update manually it says that the vps is already up to date. This is driving me crazy, can someone please help.
No need to worry that much, even less driving you crazy, as you're updated...
But, anyway, avast! is showing the red panel without reason...
Which firewall do you use?

pea67nut

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »
Thanks for educating me :) I'm using Windows xp SP2 on a broadband via cable modem. I have Avast set to update automatically. For last 3 days, the first 2 updated fine and then today got that dreaded red slide again. Have gone through every mention of Avast program listed in my Zone Alarm Pro4 program control and have allowed Avast all permissions. The red screen says "cannot find specified file" whichever file it is looking for to update it. Some days it works and some days it doesn't, why?  Need more info about my setup? Glad to share. :D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 11:09:47 PM »
No, we don't need much more than this, but if it's one day like this and another day like that, you should also check with your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Maybe they have sudden problems with their service. Everything is possible. Even cable connections are not invulnerable to those things, I know because I was on hi-speed cable connection year ago... Now I'm on ADSL having no problems at all.

I'm not telling you that cable is no good, it's wonderful, but everything depends on service you are using. Are they reliable ? Who is your ISP ?

EDIT: Try unchecking the option MY COMPUTER IS PERMANENTLY CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET... both options inside that panel should be unchecked... try that first.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:11:36 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 11:58:27 PM »
Thanks for educating me :) I'm using Windows xp SP2 on a broadband via cable modem. I have Avast set to update automatically. For last 3 days, the first 2 updated fine and then today got that dreaded red slide again. Have gone through every mention of Avast program listed in my Zone Alarm Pro4 program control and have allowed Avast all permissions. The red screen says "cannot find specified file" whichever file it is looking for to update it. Some days it works and some days it doesn't, why? Need more info about my setup? Glad to share. :D
You say you have allowed all the avast programs, but you have probably missed the important one avast.setup, this requires internet access otherwise no updates. You may have it in the blocked programs, if so change it to allow, or delete the entry and do a manual update, this should have ZA ask for permission, allow it.

The difference is that avast.setup isn't a permenent file it only gets compiled at the time of update (to spread server load I believe).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pea67nut

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 02:22:49 AM »
My ISP i Cox high speed internet. Think you may have hit the nail on the head when you talk about the Avast setup file. This make me set up and notice, seems familiar to me for some reason. I'll try unchecking those options in the panel showing how I connect to the internet.

By the way, how does a person show whether they are male or female,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 02:44:38 AM »
I'll try unchecking those options in the panel showing how I connect to the internet.
If you have a permanent connection, then this option should remain checked

By the way, how does a person show whether they are male or female,
Click in the buttom Profile at the top of the pages and browse the options of yours  8)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 02:50:07 AM »
I'll try unchecking those options in the panel showing how I connect to the internet.
If you have a permanent connection, then this option should remain checked

I remember we had some people having problems with that option checked... those users were ADSL users as well connected through their routers/firewalls, that means permanent connection without the dial-up, just like cable. I use exactly the same configuration except in my settings that option is checked. I never ever had problems with updates, but I simply mentioned that because I remember some people were complaining about avast! sliding red panels warning them that update can not be performed... as soon as they unchecked all those options, those red panels disappeared... no harm in trying...

Cheers !

pea67nut

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 02:55:43 AM »
Ok, I'll leave it checked but then how do I solve my problem? When I turn computer on first thing in am, Avast loads first and then ZAP. My ISP has won awards for the last 3 years as being the most valued with no problems so doubt it is them. But my problem comes and goes. I can update it manually but it's a hassel. Plus sometime when the red slide shows and I try to update it manually it says the VSP is already up to date :'(

Just read post by tech,is ADSL the same as using a modem hooked up to a cable line? I'm not very computer knowledgable.