Author Topic: avast program update  (Read 16328 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: avast program update
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 03:02:22 AM »
Just read post by tech,is ADSL the same as using a modem hooked up to a cable line? I'm not very computer knowledgable.

No it's not but it's quite similar in some ways...

See here:

What is the difference between ADSL and cable modems?

ADSL provides always-on high-speed Internet access over a single dedicated telephone line; cable modems offer always-on high-speed Internet access over a shared cable television line. While cable modems have greater downstream (from the Internet into the home) bandwidth capabilities,that bandwidth is shared among all users in a neighborhood, and will therefore vary, perhaps dramatically, as more users in a neighborhood get online at the same time. Cable modem upstream (from the home to the Internet) traffic will in many cases be slower than ADSL, either because the particular cable modem is inherently slower, or because too many people in a neighborhood are trying to send or receive data at the same time. The big difference between ADSL and cable modems, however, is the number of lines available to each. There are no more than 12 million homes today that can support two-way cable modem transmissions, and while the figure is growing steadily, it will not catch up with telephone lines for many years. Only about 20 percent of homes are ready for cable modems now, compared to 50 to 60 percent of homes that are ready for ADSL service. Additionally, many of the older cable networks are not capable of offering a return channel; consequently, such networks will need significant upgrading before they can offer high bandwidth services.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 03:05:23 AM »
When I turn computer on first thing in am, Avast loads first and then ZAP...

Just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.

More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 03:27:22 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

pea67nut

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 03:15:06 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of info in that link. Either I 'm real tired now or either real dense. I don't have DSL. I'm on a cable modem.

pea67nut

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 02:42:32 AM »
Hello again, unchecked the "is permanetly connected to the internet". Also ran a search of Avast.setup and could not find it on my computer. Now want to go to Avast4.ini file and try changing value. Hope I don't mess up the whole program and have to reinstall. ???

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 02:49:30 AM »
Hello again, unchecked the "is permanetly connected to the internet". Also ran a search of Avast.setup and could not find it on my computer. Now want to go to Avast4.ini file and try changing value. Hope I don't mess up the whole program and have to reinstall. ???

avast.setup simply doesn't exist under that name... David meant to say aswUpdSv.exe

You should look for aswUpdSv.exe and give it permission in your firewall to connect to the net...

Never ever touch avast4.ini file if you are not 100% sure you know what you are doing. Also, before you decide to change it, make sure to make copy of that file somewhere else on your drive. In case you screw up things, you can always replace screwed up avast4.ini with the original, backed up one...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

pea67nut

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 02:54:37 AM »
You just shaved me a lot of heartache, wasn't looking forward to working with that ini file,it's as bad as the registry on computers. Will recheck with search on correct file, thanks again. 8)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 03:35:45 AM »
No problem... if you know how, you can also post your avast4.ini file and we can perform those changes, and post it back for you... then all you have to do is to replace your original file with the one containing those changes. But, still... keep your original avast4.ini file backed up somewhere on your harddrive, just in case. I'm not saying someone will screw up something, but keeping your original file is best thing you can do. It will not take up much space on your hard drive and it's always better to play on a safe side...

Cheers !

P.S. Keep us updated...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 04:21:51 AM »
avast.setup simply doesn't exist under that name... David meant to say aswUpdSv.exe
setup.ovr is transformed into avast.setup file to update avast.
You should allow avast.setup to connect in order to updade. The other file won't ask for access.
aswUpdSv.exe is the avast! service for update, should be allowed to connect to  8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 04:13:33 PM »

You should look for aswUpdSv.exe and give it permission in your firewall to connect to the net...
There you go putting words into my mouth ;D and no I didn't mean aswUpdSv.exe (aswUpdSv.exe isn't even listed in my firewall's list of applications, allowed or otherwise an I can still update), I meant exactly what I said avast.setup, along with the rest of my comments. I didn't say search the HDD for avast.setup, rather the firewall's allowed applications, etc.

You say you have allowed all the avast programs, but you have probably missed the important one avast.setup, this requires internet access otherwise no updates. You may have it in the blocked programs, if so change it to allow, or delete the entry and do a manual update, this should have ZA ask for permission, allow it.

The difference is that avast.setup isn't a permanent file it only gets compiled at the time of update (to spread server load I believe).

I feel that the highlighted part of the quote would make it clear you won't find it on the HDD.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pea67nut

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 01:04:07 AM »
Hello everyone, kind of confusing reading posts until I get to know who is who. Anyhow, looked into all programs relating to Avast listed in my Zone Alarm programs. Have 7 programs listed and avast! anti-virus upd is listed twice :o Also noticed that when I right click on icon it shows 7 programs but only 6 running. One last thing, should avast be allowed under Zone Alarm server trusted and internet?  Thanks. :D

pea67nut

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 12:10:17 AM »
Help, have anyone had time to check my last post about what I found concerning Avast on my computer? I may have found the answer to my problem but don't know what the next step is? :( Thanks.

galooma

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 01:04:16 AM »
Without wanting to throw more complexity into the discussion , you might draw some interest from looking through this post
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.0
the settings on some of the pics, slide 1 and 3 show the program access required for Avast! to work.
Have you considered replacing ZA. looking through the forums you will fing its the most troublesome firewall out there. Having said that there are many here who still use it.
the Avast provider not running is probably the outlook mail scanner which doesnt activate if outlook is disabled i think. Nothing to worry about. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 01:07:33 AM by Cloussau »

pea67nut

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 02:22:43 AM »
I'll check out your link further later, will be absent from site for a day due to medical test tomorrow.

Also, hate to give up ZA as it's the paid version pro 6. but I've been on their forum and lots of people are having problems with email and the new update version.

Avast work just fine for me, just won't update automatically sometimes. Did it correctly this morning. That's what puzzels me, it's off and on again. ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 02:41:14 AM »
pea67nut
Also, hate to give up ZA as it's the paid version pro 6. but I've been on their forum and lots of people are having problems with email and the new update version.
Nothing wrong with ZA Pro on my computer just make surre that you allow all of the avast programs access to the internet thru ZA.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 04:15:51 AM »
Avast work just fine for me, just won't update automatically sometimes.
Why not? What are the error messages?