Author Topic: Think twice before you buy GrimeFighter  (Read 6560 times)

REDACTED

Think twice before you buy GrimeFighter
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
Hi,

You should take it serious because I bothered to come and QQ about it.

I bought GrimeFighter last year and my licence ends 03/2015. So far I've managed to successfully finish oneE scan. That was the one I made, when I bought it and even then, it didn't help my system much or in any noticeable way. In fact reboot time tripled and some of my settings (sounds etc.) where lost. Only good thing about it was the Adobe-issues it fixed for me. After that first time I have been unable to finish any scans (and even contacted support) because of some "cute" bugmessage (which is so dumb that it won't even let you know anything else except that the devs have been informed) after ~2h in to the scan.

Great idea! but this product is realllly not worth it's price for MANY reasons:
  • Slow runtime
  • Not enough info on it's actions,
  • Safety (what got changed, deleted, lost)
  • You name it

I'm a 5+ year exp user of Avast and its products and I must say they get worse and worse every year. Makes me questions, if I should buy other products you offer, that I really find very good designed and userfriendly in general, but based on the exp in made with GrimeFighter they really not worth the money.

Feel free to bash and delete my post.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Think twice before you buy GrimeFighter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »
A lot of things have been improved in the latest version:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165749.0

There is a lot of information on the actions, but you will have to read.
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB120#idt_03

You can see what has changed in the log file.

You can always undo the changes.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
Just BETA and a bit late for me.

I'll give it a try anyways and get back when I have tried it.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »
Hi tammepoeg,

Thanks for the direct feedback.  Those are valid things you point out and we are working toward improving them.

Just some additional info;  the average run time of the product now is down to about 1 hour, it was about 1 hour and a half when first launched.  We are working on a version that is considerably faster -- 10-15 minutes

We will be adding more information to the product interface about what we found.  There should be a rollout of that in about 2 months, maybe a bit sooner.

The above is connected to your point about what got changed; we will show you what we found and what we can change.  It's actually available in the current version also, after the scan runs you can go to the Advanced Console and see details

Thanks again for the feedback.  I hope we'll be able to change your mind regarding this product

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
Ty for the answer.

Nice to see that you are working on improving GrimeFighter. I tried the newest version and I still get the same bugmessage (without any info for the user) right before the end. The scan was a bit faster then usual tho. But still the boottime went from 20 seconds to 2+ minutes. That is not normal.

I think the booting in linux and running the scan then is interesting and might well be one-of-a-kind, but atm (you must agree) it does not pay off. Also it is more dangerous for Windows users, then some of the other products around.

I will remain using Avast, but will wait and read a lot before renewing my licence.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »
I bought GrimeFighter yesterday for my desktop and ran it, and now can't access the Internet on it, either via Google Chrome or Internet Explorer. Fortunately I can access e-mails and web via my Netbook, but any advice on getting back online on my main computer would be hugely appreciate. I rang Avast support and had a certain amount of help, but was then asked for over a hundred pounds for the next level which prompted me to end the call immediately.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
I rang Avast support and had a certain amount of help, but was then asked for over a hundred pounds for the next level which prompted me to end the call immediately.
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 04:20:03 PM »
amh.music,

if you want help, please start your own thread.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:03:27 PM »
I too would recommend considering carefully before buying GrimeFigher. I just installed it and ran it. It summarily disposed of some items it much have though was "Grime". Two of those items were "TurboTax 2012" and "TurboTax 2011". Fortunately it only disposed of the desktop Icons (which were easy to replace). I can tell you GrimeFighter is nowhere near perfect and may give you more problems than it fixes. I have other very well known and respected software that does a similar job to getting rid of Grime (including Junk, Viruses, etc., etc) and does NOT throw away truly valid programs or contaminate things with the result that some have reported those programs don't run anymore. GrimeFighter does NOT (!!) provide any way to "recover" from an unexpected result from its cleaning efforts. Virtually all my other "cleaning" software provides a way to "recover" in case things don't go well. GrimeFighter does NOT do this. Consider carefully!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:59:53 AM »
GrimeFighter does NOT (!!) provide any way to "recover"
Yes it does. Run GrimeFighter again and there is a option to undo the changes it has made.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
It has caused my wifi to be totally shut down, only way I can get on the Internet is with Ethernet.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
Hello Bryan,

Please see Eddy's remark.  You can boot back into GrimeFighter and undo the changes previously made.

Please also just verify that wifi is enabled on your PC, Linux can sometimes turn it off during the cleaning.  I know it sounds simple but it has happened before.

Thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
i have the same problem in that grimefighter wont work . period. and when you call tech support here goes the concept for them to charge money and claim to be able to fix it . All i can say is omg what kind of company is this that tries to trick me of my hard earned money for a piece of crap software that clearly hardly works for anyone . Instead of fixing the problem they want to scam a poor person like me . Didnt i already pay them enough money . Guess there is no reason to have faith in this anti  virus program avast premier that i also purchased yesterday and secure vpn also . Its truly so sad that this kind of situation can exist where the software is just pure total utter crapware and then they want to scam you from more  money. This is indeed very very upsetting

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
Hello musicaz,

Could you describe what the problem is please?  Would you be able to open a support ticket here:

https://support.avast.com/

Please include your log file.  You can get that by going to C:  Windows, jumpshot.com folder, then grimefighter.txt document and also in the log folder the avastium document

This can help us understand why the product failed.

Best regards,

Davidek