Author Topic: Setup x Reboots x Rights [Was: New features for the next major avast! release]  (Read 9806 times)

kubecj

The one feature I wish that would become available is the ability to turn of the autocorrect feature of avast!.  I understand why its there, but it would be nice to be able to turn it off especially for users who  lock down their computer with user rights and can't really update out of the account they are in thus causing the reboot dialog over and over.

The reboots happen after every program update and have nothing to do with user rights. Installer runs on high enough privileges, so it doesn't care for user's rights (on NTs)

RE: turning off the autorepair - that can't be done (easily) without rewriting the whole setup. No, no, no  ;D

doggeral

Setup x Rights [Was: New features for the next major avast! release]
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 10:48:29 AM »
RE: turning off the autorepair - that can't be done (easily) without rewriting the whole setup. No, no, no  

I realize this and expected such a response.  Its not really a big issue to me though i just have to add it to my list of things to work around.

The reboots happen after every program update and have nothing to do with user rights. Installer runs on high enough privileges, so it doesn't care for user's rights (on NTs)

Oh but it does matter if you have configured your user rights in such a way that program updates need to be run with an account with higher privs to gain directory write and registry access.   Granted the default XP setup allows for things to work fine I'm not denying that.  But the system account (I'm assuming with out double checking this is what we are talking about) in my configuration doesn't have the global privs that system account is granted by default.  

So the few who have reconfigured their system like i have (and I know its very few)  will get reboot prompts until update or autocorrect can be performed, or at least thats what I have found.   Like for example outlook 2k3 addition.  I was prompted to reboot my system by avast constantly until the offical update came out and I actually allowed it to run.

I know it seems weird, but I prefer to have as few write privs as possible.  And I figured I'd throw the question out there just in case it wasn't as complex as I anticipated, but obviously it is.  Its not really a big deal, but more of a work around until I can finish my user rights application for my personal system.

To me like I have said before the major stuff and much more has been addressed.  Personally I was suprised to see scan time mentioned....Maybe its a little Trend-Micro envy..... :)   Anyway its just me taking a stab in the dark and hoping for a bone to make my life easier and not really what is in the best interest of the community.

kubecj

Re:Setup x Rights [Was: New features for the next major avast! release]
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 02:07:32 AM »
Oh but it does matter if you have configured your user rights in such a way that program updates need to be run with an account with higher privs to gain directory write and registry access.   Granted the default XP setup allows for things to work fine I'm not denying that.  But the system account (I'm assuming with out double checking this is what we are talking about) in my configuration doesn't have the global privs that system account is granted by default.  

Eh, how to say that - if you tamper with LocalSystem account, you _should_ know what are you doing. The installation program on NTs needs high privileges - just to write to 'Program Files', to play with services, etc. It doesn't need high user's privileges, but it needs high LocalSystem privileges - the default are high enough, no new special 'avast_installer' user is not created. And, if some user deletes the privileges, installer won't run at all.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
When you'll be completely rewriting the whole setup for the next time ;D, I would appreciate this "turning off the autorepair" as well.
I've got a few translated help files here (without the program translation, which does not exist) - that are rather hard to use this way... the English help cannot be replaced because of this feature.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
When you'll be completely rewriting the whole setup for the next time ;D, I would appreciate this "turning off the autorepair" as well.
I've got a few translated help files here (without the program translation, which does not exist) - that are rather hard to use this way... the English help cannot be replaced because of this feature.

I suppose this bug is due to the imposibility to release translated versions of avast1, isn´t it? The setup, not the engine, is the problem, isn´t it? I'm afraid it will take a lot of time of you folks  :'(
The best things in life are free.

kubecj

Because of setup's atomicity (the operations are quite independent) and the potential possibilities of errors in each operation, it's the only option - avast! is good only when all of its subparts are good too. And such subparts are only good if their files are also good.

Your files are bad. Bad files.  ;D

That should be done in a classic way - dummy language dll (english one) and corresponding help (non-english one).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Your files are bad. Bad files.  ;D
That should be done in a classic way - dummy language dll (english one) and corresponding help (non-english one).

Igor, I suppose that Kubecj is not talking about my Portuguese files  >:(
My translation is not, definitevely not, bad files...  >:(
I use it without any trouble in my system, both help files and dll language.

Don't say that my hundred hours (yeah, no error, more than 100 hours) of translation result in a bad file...
Say something!  :(

doggeral

Eh, how to say that - if you tamper with LocalSystem account, you _should_ know what are you doing. The installation program on NTs needs high privileges - just to write to 'Program Files', to play with services, etc. It doesn't need high user's privileges, but it needs high LocalSystem privileges - the default are high enough, no new special 'avast_installer' user is not created. And, if some user deletes the privileges, installer won't run at all.

I do know what I am doing (or at least I would like to think so) and hence as a result realize why this process fails.  I have no problem with the install (high privs aren't really necessary to write to program files, but to windows directory by default I believe.  On my system what you said does hold true, but it was installed with administrator privs so was moot.) nor do I have a big problem with the autocorrect as I realize the reason for the design as well as why my system wont allow for it, but the way I have it setup is on a domain account that does not allow for unsolicited traffic, because my website (which has been hacked through the local system account) is on the same subnet.  So I just thought I would ask on the off chance that this was a group of independent procedures that could be setup to turn off with a check box even though I figured it would not be that way.  

This was more of an inquiry not a feature request.  So I'm not expecting a solution at this point other than to deal with it.  I'm rather new to using avast on my workstations and in general (I was a big trend micro person after turning off certain web services)  so I guess the next question I would ask is what service is this feature actually integrated into when it comes to write privs in the registry and/or program files.  If this is the case I would just raise its priv level and be done with it, but as you know it takes 4 or 6 hours to test it making the process rather tedious for me to seek out myself and easy to miss.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 02:09:40 AM by doggeral »

kubecj

Don't say that my hundred hours (yeah, no error, more than 100 hours) of translation result in a bad file...

It was a joke, please note the smiley there.

There is no possibility to run avast with patched files - installer will overwrite 'bad' (ie. unknown/patched/broken/new/fixed/not original) files with the 'good' one (ie. known/original).

To make half-portuguese version, we have to combine english dll and portuguese help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

It was a joke, please note the smiley there.

There is no possibility to run avast with patched files - installer will overwrite 'bad' (ie. unknown/patched/broken/new/fixed/not original) files with the 'good' one (ie. known/original).

To make half-portuguese version, we have to combine english dll and portuguese help.

Thanks Kubecj. But I´m the one who has Portuguese full version: both dll and help files  ;D

kubecj

Yeah, that's possible, because these files are not used by the setup yet. So they're completely unknown to setup and it doesn't touch them.

Setup doesn't like its own files to be modified.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Yeah, that's possible, because these files are not used by the setup yet. So they're completely unknown to setup and it doesn't touch them.

Setup doesn't like its own files to be modified.  ;)

Yeah, you're right. Igor was send me the setup file for the last correction... Just one page to be reviewed (not even translated) but this was quite a month ago  :'(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
To make it a clear - I really wasn't talking about Portuguese... I rather meant "single" help files I received - such as Japanese. We're considering making a Japanese version of avast interface as well, but it will need some changes to make it work (in ANSI, or more precisely, in MBCS).