Author Topic: Why is SSL in URL if it's disabled in Chrome 40?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline ehmen

• Poster
Why is SSL in URL if it's disabled in Chrome 40?
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:56:10 AM »
Hi, in light of the fact that Google Chrome disabled SSLv3 in their latest version and are only useing TLS, I'm curious why when I go to Google Images I get this URL:
https://images.google.com/?as_qdr=all&gws_rd=ssl
Even though my bookmark just has this in it:
images.google.com

Is it supposed to be like that? Why is Google still using SSL if they disabled it in version 40 of Chrome?

Thank you!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Why is SSL in URL if it's disabled in Chrome 40?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:40 AM »
Google (the website) and Chrome (the browser) are two entirely different things.
Guess what would happen if they would only allow TLS connections website...
Everyone that is using a browser that doesn't support TLS (or is having it disabled) would not be able to visit the website.

Offline ehmen

• Poster
Re: Why is SSL in URL if it's disabled in Chrome 40?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:34:46 PM »
My question isn't why Google (the website) allows SSL for those who need it or have it enabled.
My question is how when I use Chrome (the browser that disabled SSL) Google Images or any site can redirect me with SSL (though it doesn't happen with Google itself, just Images).
If my browser disabled SSL, than the website I visit with that browser should not be able to redirect me via SSL. Only those using a different browser should merit that service.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:36:49 PM by ehmen »